ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson Center Banners

Honestly, and maybe this is my big program bias that comes from living where I do, there is no way in hell I would hang a banner that proclaims "We're #117!". I'm glad the guys won, I'm glad some of you had fun watching some extra games, but that's bush league.

Sorta the same reason we put up placards on the stadium proclaiming we won the 25, 37, 34th ranked bowls, etc. and that we won the worst D1 football league at the time.

Gotta spin it for the fans and donors so they’ll give more.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It’s funny literally every title in college sports is meaningless other than the national championship playoffs in football and the ncaa tournament in basketball titles.

Every bowl game we have played in has been meaningless. Nobody cares, let me repeat nobody cares about any bowl that we have been in since we moved out of IAA. Nobody outside of the fan bases of ours and the teams we played cared. Nobody outside of Marshall fans and our opponents fans can tell you who won the 1999 Motor City Bowl or the 2018 Gasparilla Bowl. I would venture to say outside the Rose Bowl Orange Bowl and a few other bowls fans couldn’t tell you what was the name of the bowl that they were currently watching was. The majority of bowls are played in front of no crowds with sponsor names nobody remembers 5 minutes after the bowl is done. Nobody gives a sh!t what Marshall’s bowl record is. But we celebrate these bowl wins (like we should) we put up placards that say such and such bowl champion (which we should) and we celebrate the wins (once again like we should) Nobody ever says you do realize this is a meaningless bowl that nobody gives a crap about and will forget about 5 minutes after it ends. We don’t care because it’s our team playing and winning these games and we celebrate it like it’s a big thing even though it’s isnt remotely a big thing.

There is ZERO difference between the NIT the CBI and the CIT. Zero they are all meaningless tournaments that NOBODY cares about and in many cases it includes the participants. The NIT finals played in NYC in the middle of one of if not the most famous arena in America drew less fans than our CIT championship game. Before you say yeah Cali but it was played on our home court, I get it but do you really think in a city of 9 million people they couldn’t have found more than 4K worth of fans if ANYBODY gave a crap? Marshall should celebrate the CIT championship, they should put something up commemorating it or they should just stop celebrating any football or basketball championship unless it’s the national championship, because they are all meaningless.

You need to get with the program. A massive crowd of zillions and zillions (evil MH, underreporting the gate) and kazillions more on the internet watch the titanic struggle. It was among the most important events of the decade.

It more than fully makes up for this failed team's total failure to engage for a full season. Two bus and gym teams from micro-conferences and two from the Horizon league = massive success. The fact that the proclaimers spent the whole season proclaiming a coming inside straight draw, even to the point "lets just see what happened Thursday" and then were strangely silent come Friday morning, is irrelevant.

This team gets a D- for the year, and that only for the extra credit in March. It deserved an F.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
You need to get with the program. A massive crowd of zillions and zillions (evil MH, underreporting the gate) and kazillions more on the internet watch the titanic struggle. It was among the most important events of the decade.

It more than fully makes up for this failed team's total failure to engage for a full season. Two bus and gym teams from micro-conferences and two from the Horizon league = massive success. The fact that the proclaimers spent the whole season proclaiming a coming inside straight draw, even to the point "lets just see what happened Thursday" and then were strangely silent come Friday morning, is irrelevant.

This team gets a D- for the year, and that only for the extra credit in March. It deserved an F.

I'm guessing you're giving last year's football season an A-, only because they didn't win the conference championship.

You have a right to feel that way. But believe me, the 6,000+ that showed up game after game had a wonderful time supporting and watching our team play.

I seriously doubt that you are a Marshall fan. I don’t say that trying to be funny. You bring literally nothing to this board when it comes to basketball but trash talking the basketball program. You aren’t funny, clever or original. You remind me a lot of the WVU trolls who have created fake user names with Marshall in them so they can slam our programs on our boards under the guise they are a “fan”

So even though I think you are a non Marshall fan troll, I will try to explain things to you again. There has been nobody on this board. Not one person that tried to make the CIT into something it’s not. But it was a nice accomplishment to win it and it feels good that our team didn’t decide they were too good for this tournament and came to play and win it. They were the number one seed and they earned it by winning the whole thing.

The basketball program did not live up to pre season hype, we all know it. We had some awful OOC blow outs and 1 in conference blowout that were frankly inexcusable. But through it all the team persevered, and at the end of the season started gelling. We went 4-0 in pod play, blew out Rice in the CUSA tournament then had a hard fought loss to a team who beat us by 50 one month earlier. We played in the CIT and played some of our best basketball of the season and won 4 games and the CIT championship. We also did this without our second best player and definitely our best big man. So was it a great year? No, but it was far from a horrible year.

The crowds were good and loud in the CIT tournament, and the championship game had a big time feel to it. There is a buzz around Marshall basketball that I haven’t seen in a long time. People are already talking about next year. So why don’t you do us all a favor and ignore any threads talking about basketball because obviously you don’t like the coach the players or anything else associated with it. But there are plenty of people on this board who do, and many of us are tired of you ruining or hijacking any thread that’s positive to the basketball program.

Responding to you counts for community service so I will...
So because I am highly critical of something you don't agree with, I am suddenly "not a Marshall fan"?
Goodness, I didn't realize you were so soft.

So this tournament wasn't hyped up or spoken about by people on here beyond what it really is?
Because there aren't responses that read like books, about the legitimacy of the teams we played.
Oh wait...
The mere fact you chose to respond in such a manner not only shows your fragile ego, but also shows the threat of some of the criticism actually being right.
I highly doubt MU's original goal was to win this thing. It was all to get Elmore the scoring title and surpass Skip Henderson, maybe because of his past history, put on a better story and person to carry the title.
I disagree with them entering the tournament to begin with but I understand why they did it as well.

My problem is (and it seems you can't read worth a damn because I have said this multiple times and I'll say it again in a way to not hurt your feelings):
The treatment of the basketball team in this tournament was horrendously lacking in football when, essentially, the same things happened. My problem is why this is. My theory is, simply put, everyone likes Dan and hates Doc. The teams have basically done the same things but I found it a bit uneven how people threatened to boycott games, complained about our opponents being nobody, and declared the team "mediocre" "pathetic" and everything they weren't.
While MU basketball was being demolished OOC and lost several games they shouldn't, constantly trailing by double digits, all the while people kept up hope and optimism...never wanting to use such harsh words for football in basketball.
"Oh, no worries, Dan has us in the right direction!" "50 point losses happen, we'll be fine."
There was only one time when the criticism was actually there but thats it...
Yet MU football would face serious backlash on here if they played in a comparable bowl game to the CIT...because its happened. Nobody looked at MU winning, they looked at literally everything else to de-legitimize the win.
The complete opposite happens in basketball however.

Marshall Football most underachieving sport at Marshall. Most of the other sports don't have a lot to work with. Football does and to me it is an underachiever.

If the conference title is the bar, then many, many other teams in America, many of whom with far more resources than MU, underachieve as well.

An important aspect to consider is what can be accepted as achievement to begin with.
Some teams consider going .500 an achievement.
Some teams consider just beating a rival an achievement.
Some teams consider the CFP an achievement.
Some teams just winning a game consider that an achievement.

The fact that some on here questioned MU's gate report of the crowd for the finals, really tells you all you need to know about the perception of this tournament.

The fact that some on here questioned MU's gate report of the crowd for the finals, really tells you all you need to know about the perception of this tournament.
Why the hell would anybody in the Athletic Department under report a crowd that involved the CIT of all things. If anything they would overstate the crowd size. This was a team that was predicted on this board to make a deep run the real tournament. They had the greatest player in our history and the greatest player in the history of CUSA...a team loaded with seniors and beat Green Bay in an obscure basketball tournament.

Why the hell would anybody in the Athletic Department under report a crowd that involved the CIT of all things. If anything they would overstate the crowd size. This was a team that was predicted on this board to make a deep run the real tournament. They had the greatest player in our history and the greatest player in the history of CUSA...a team loaded with seniors and beat Green Bay in an obscure basketball tournament.

There are two errors in your post.

If the conference title is the bar, then many, many other teams in America, many of whom with far more resources than MU, underachieve as well.

An important aspect to consider is what can be accepted as achievement to begin with.
Some teams consider going .500 an achievement.
Some teams consider just beating a rival an achievement.
Some teams consider the CFP an achievement.
Some teams just winning a game consider that an achievement.
I don't give a shit about the other teams. I give a shit about Marshall.

After watching this year's tournament and reflecting, many people were wrong on several accounts and several things are wrong in your post as well. I think this team's potential was vastly over stated at the beginning of the season. THe season was a let down, but a deep run in the tournament.....that wold have been a miracle.

By the way I enjoyed the tournament very much and it was fun to watch. Not sure if Hal Greer or few other players were on this year's team. I don't recall them being on it.

............The anxious faces of the code blue team hunker over the prostrate Sam. No pulse detected. “Charge 200! Clear” says the Doc. Nuttin’. “Charge 300! Clear” After a moment, the monitor sounds the familiar beeping. Reviewing the test results, the Docs confer. “While the logic function is indeed dead, the sarcasm part of the brain is three times as big!” And all The Who’s down in Whoville exclaimed: Shit.
WS

Just curious...

Is this one of the CUSA programs who joined the conference for football, makes an effort to compete at the highest level in football, and makes a token effort in basketball? I mean, they were the East division champion and were one of the worst teams in basketball this season. Damn.

Reactions: CarolinaZilla69
Just curious...

Is this one of the CUSA programs who joined the conference for football, makes an effort to compete at the highest level in football, and makes a token effort in basketball? I mean, they were the East division champion and were one of the worst teams in basketball this season. Damn.

Remember they did have 2 years in the top 25 in hoops the past 2 years. They also were one of the top in CUSA hoops attendance during that time too. Kermit leaving and most of his team graduating or transferring out hurt them badly.
I believe they made the right basketball hire. We all saw how much better they were late in the season. They will be mid pack at worst next year.

Remember they did have 2 years in the top 25 in hoops the past 2 years. They also were one of the top in CUSA hoops attendance during that time too. Kermit leaving and most of his team graduating or transferring out hurt them badly.
I believe they made the right basketball hire. We all saw how much better they were late in the season. They will be mid pack at worst next year.
Correct. But my post was full of sarcasm.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Why the hell would anybody in the Athletic Department under report a crowd that involved the CIT of all things. If anything they would overstate the crowd size.

Obviously. The first thing they teach cops or lawyers is "motive". Summed up as:

- Collect underpants.
- ???
- Profit

There simply is no motive for MU, MH, or anybody else to commit FELONY TAX EVASION by under-reporting ticket sales. Unless you believe MH is willing to risk jail to save the ticket office less than $200 taxes.

What happened was one poster has been on this conspiracy theory tangent for this whole titanic struggle for #117. He, incorrectly, predicted 6000 for the "title" (sic) game. I, and several others, said this was delusional. We were right, he was wrong.

Apparently, without wait for the facts, he decided to just double down and proclaim the live gate of Five Thousand Seven Hundred Forty Eight as somehow "wrong". He got called on it, by me and at least three other posters. He is simply wrong. It is not an opinion, is arguing conspiracy and lunacy. The live gate was Five Thousand Seven Hundred Forty Eight. As predicted, and then as certified and audited. A fact.

There is no reason to lie about the live gate in the opposite direction.

It is classic "big lie" propaganda. Just repeat something over and over until people think it is true, and get off on tangent. Fact is if there were 10000 people there, instead of the well below 6000 that actually were, the real point is how bad this basketball team performed, November-March.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
My goodness I started this thread merely about the banners that used to be in the Henderson Center so let me start over. Hey Meister help me out. What happened to all the tournament banners (OVC, SC, MAC, etc)? I know they were removed so as not to obstruct views of the new video scoreboard but are they going to be rehung in another location? What about the CUSA team banners? Same question. Just curious and Sam please PLEASE just drop the ongoing script regarding attendance for the CIT. This is about the banners.

My goodness I started this thread merely about the banners that used to be in the Henderson Center so let me start over. Hey Meister help me out. What happened to all the tournament banners (OVC, SC, MAC, etc)? I know they were removed so as not to obstruct views of the new video scoreboard but are they going to be rehung in another location? What about the CUSA team banners? Same question. Just curious and Sam please PLEASE just drop the ongoing script regarding attendance for the CIT. This is about the banners.
I feel sure that the actual ones that were taken down are ever re-hung. Danny thought they looked like cheap window blinds.
As for hanging replacements, I haven't heard.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
I don't give a shit about the other teams. I give a shit about Marshall.

Bwahaha no you don't...this board goes haywire when CUSA loses OOC games.
This board complains about how bad the teams are in CUSA and why MU doesn't win more in it.
When MU does win, the focus isn't the win, its the quality level of opponent MU plays.
Funny thing is I actually try to get people to not focus on everyone else but nobody seems willing to try it.

When MU does win, the focus isn't the win, its the quality level of opponent MU plays.
Stop lying. When we win conference titles, people love it. We loved it when we were clubbing the baby seals in the MAC, we loved it when we were clubbing the CUSA baby deals in 2014. There's a reason why wvu fans find us insufferable when we're winning, because we don't apologize for winning titles in a lesser conference.

It’s funny literally every title in college sports is meaningless other than the national championship playoffs in football and the ncaa tournament in basketball titles.

Every bowl game we have played in has been meaningless. Nobody cares, let me repeat nobody cares about any bowl that we have been in since we moved out of IAA. Nobody outside of the fan bases of ours and the teams we played cared. Nobody outside of Marshall fans and our opponents fans can tell you who won the 1999 Motor City Bowl or the 2018 Gasparilla Bowl. I would venture to say outside the Rose Bowl Orange Bowl and a few other bowls fans couldn’t tell you what was the name of the bowl that they were currently watching was. The majority of bowls are played in front of no crowds with sponsor names nobody remembers 5 minutes after the bowl is done. Nobody gives a sh!t what Marshall’s bowl record is. But we celebrate these bowl wins (like we should) we put up placards that say such and such bowl champion (which we should) and we celebrate the wins (once again like we should) Nobody ever says you do realize this is a meaningless bowl that nobody gives a crap about and will forget about 5 minutes after it ends. We don’t care because it’s our team playing and winning these games and we celebrate it like it’s a big thing even though it’s isnt remotely a big thing.

There is ZERO difference between the NIT the CBI and the CIT. Zero they are all meaningless tournaments that NOBODY cares about and in many cases it includes the participants. The NIT finals played in NYC in the middle of one of if not the most famous arena in America drew less fans than our CIT championship game. Before you say yeah Cali but it was played on our home court, I get it but do you really think in a city of 9 million people they couldn’t have found more than 4K worth of fans if ANYBODY gave a crap? Marshall should celebrate the CIT championship, they should put something up commemorating it or they should just stop celebrating any football or basketball championship unless it’s the national championship, because they are all meaningless.

EXCELLENT POINTS as usual Cali......but the important thing to
remember...our wins gives Marshall fans a lot of happiness...because WE ARE........................

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

You have a right to feel that way. But believe me, the 6,000+ that showed up game after game had a wonderful time supporting and watching our team play.

For the love of John Marshall....don't let Stupid Sad Sam
play one Marshall sport against another. All sports programs at Marshall are VITAL.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Responding to you counts for community service so I will...
So because I am highly critical of something you don't agree with, I am suddenly "not a Marshall fan"?
Goodness, I didn't realize you were so soft.

So this tournament wasn't hyped up or spoken about by people on here beyond what it really is?
Because there aren't responses that read like books, about the legitimacy of the teams we played.
Oh wait...
The mere fact you chose to respond in such a manner not only shows your fragile ego, but also shows the threat of some of the criticism actually being right.
I highly doubt MU's original goal was to win this thing. It was all to get Elmore the scoring title and surpass Skip Henderson, maybe because of his past history, put on a better story and person to carry the title.
I disagree with them entering the tournament to begin with but I understand why they did it as well.

My problem is (and it seems you can't read worth a damn because I have said this multiple times and I'll say it again in a way to not hurt your feelings):
The treatment of the basketball team in this tournament was horrendously lacking in football when, essentially, the same things happened. My problem is why this is. My theory is, simply put, everyone likes Dan and hates Doc. The teams have basically done the same things but I found it a bit uneven how people threatened to boycott games, complained about our opponents being nobody, and declared the team "mediocre" "pathetic" and everything they weren't.
While MU basketball was being demolished OOC and lost several games they shouldn't, constantly trailing by double digits, all the while people kept up hope and optimism...never wanting to use such harsh words for football in basketball.
"Oh, no worries, Dan has us in the right direction!" "50 point losses happen, we'll be fine."
There was only one time when the criticism was actually there but thats it...
Yet MU football would face serious backlash on here if they played in a comparable bowl game to the CIT...because its happened. Nobody looked at MU winning, they looked at literally everything else to de-legitimize the win.
The complete opposite happens in basketball however.

Spoken from the mouth
of our AD or a high ranking administrator at MU!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

After watching this year's tournament and reflecting, many people were wrong on several accounts and several things are wrong in your post as well. I think this team's potential was vastly over stated at the beginning of the season. THe season was a let down, but a deep run in the tournament.....that wold have been a miracle.

By the way I enjoyed the tournament very much and it was fun to watch. Not sure if Hal Greer or few other players were on this year's team. I don't recall them being on it.

TWO WORDS...."Mr. Peneva"
would have made a HUGE difference to the success of the 2018--2019 HERD HOOPS basketball team. Willing to bet....Dan's squad would have posted 24 regular season wins!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: kdbherdon

So sorry that you and GHMY do not enjoy our current basketball program. You are certainly in a minority. Most folks are having fun. The evidence is demonstrated by increased enthusiasm, attendance at games and over all excitement for the program.. Coach D'Antoni has turned the basketball program around. The future looks very bright! Wish you could join the rest of us!!!

So sorry that you and GHMY do not enjoy our current basketball program. You are certainly in a minority. Most folks are having fun. The evidence is demonstrated by increased enthusiasm, attendance at games and over all excitement for the program.. Coach D'Antoni has turned the basketball program around. The future looks very bright! Wish you could join the rest of us!!!
Yep. Seems like over 6,000 people for the most part didn't hesitate to spend their money on watching it! Tell me one time since 1986 that there has been this much excitement over Herd hoops.
Heck we even have pretty good crowds at practice everyday.

Yep. Seems like over 6,000 people for the most part didn't hesitate to spend their money on watching it! Tell me one time since 1986 that there has been this much excitement over Herd hoops.
Heck we even have pretty good crowds at practice everyday.

'meister - exactly. DD has us on the most sustained upgrade of the basketball program since Huck. Sounds like some good pieces to the ever-changing jigsaw puzzle coming onto the team for next season. Very enthused over the hoops situation! Go HERD!!

Reactions: Herdmeister
Wish you could join the rest of us!!!

You mean:

- Believe in an insane conspiracy theory where a secret cabal is purposefully under-reporting attendence, despite no reason to do so?

- Refuse to discuss any basketball game November - March, because "one time we drew into an inside straight, we might just again." ?

- Refuse to accept that a 50 point beat down by a team that lost to a NAIA preacher's college in a 1 for 7 zombie walk of team indifference, had any significance because "we just might get hot in the conference tournament and who knows?" ?

- Watch the team under-perform for a whole season, and then watch it win in "pod play" (i.e. games it was supposed to win, because it was never supposed to be in the second "pod" and think that has significance?

- Post "Let's just see how the game Thursday turns out, shall we", and then see that game, the first versus a team with a pulse in a month, turns out exactly as predicted by those with basketball knowledge, and then swivel to worrying about the CIT without commenting on that game, at all?

- Get all worked up about beating two bus and gym bottom of Div I league teams, on the idiot premise that all mid-major leagues are the same?

- Get yet more worked up about beating two Horizon Leaguers and then call this all a "championship" ?

- Ignore that everybody graduated, nobody is coming in from below, and delude oneself into thinking "the future is bright" ?

- Keep safe the excuse of losing this or that player when next year's team regresses to what, sadly, has been acceptable for 30 years?

Nah. I will continue to live in the real world.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
You mean:

- Believe in an insane conspiracy theory where a secret cabal is purposefully under-reporting attendence, despite no reason to do so?

- Refuse to discuss any basketball game November - March, because "one time we drew into an inside straight, we might just again." ?

- Refuse to accept that a 50 point beat down by a team that lost to a NAIA preacher's college in a 1 for 7 zombie walk of team indifference, had any significance because "we just might get hot in the conference tournament and who knows?" ?

- Watch the team under-perform for a whole season, and then watch it win in "pod play" (i.e. games it was supposed to win, because it was never supposed to be in the second "pod" and think that has significance?

- Post "Let's just see how the game Thursday turns out, shall we", and then see that game, the first versus a team with a pulse in a month, turns out exactly as predicted by those with basketball knowledge, and then swivel to worrying about the CIT without commenting on that game, at all?

- Get all worked up about beating two bus and gym bottom of Div I league teams, on the idiot premise that all mid-major leagues are the same?

- Get yet more worked up about beating two Horizon Leaguers and then call this all a "championship" ?

- Ignore that everybody graduated, nobody is coming in from below, and delude oneself into thinking "the future is bright" ?

- Keep safe the excuse of losing this or that player when next year's team regresses to what, sadly, has been acceptable for 30 years?

Nah. I will continue to live in the real world.
Nah! Just wish you would appreciate the enjoyment most of us are having. The real world to you is an extremely sad place. I for one do not want to go there.

Sam I would enjoy making your acquaintance. I might even buy you a cup of coffee or a drink of your preference. Anonymity provides a lot of cover whereas a face to face tells more about people. Make it happen Sam so I can tell the rest of the board you really are human.

Nah! Just wish you would appreciate the enjoyment most of us are having. The real world to you is an extremely sad place. I for one do not want to go there.

Is he wrong?
People complained for years about MU's lack of big name and quality opponents.
MU got blown out by the 3 major programs and some mid majors who had no reason to beat MU, beat 'em!
But since MU couldn't win the tournament, the fans needed to clamor for something.
Did anyone really think MU would have gone to anything less than the NIT?
MU had a reason to do so and the fans followed without question.
If MU had declined the tournament, MU fans would have said, "Good move Dan! MU is better than those teams. We need to focus on the big dance! Unlike football where we go to whatever name bowl game and play against a crap opponent...MU basketball has higher standards!"

Just remember, your enthusiasm should exist across the board.
But it doesn't, and that's pretty sad.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Sam I would enjoy making your acquaintance. I might even buy you a cup of coffee or a drink of your preference. Anonymity provides a lot of cover whereas a face to face tells more about people. Make it happen Sam so I can tell the rest of the board you really are human.

Just don't mention "wvu" or "THE AMERICAN!!!!!!"

Is he wrong?
People complained for years about MU's lack of big name and quality opponents.
MU got blown out by the 3 major programs and some mid majors who had no reason to beat MU, beat 'em!
But since MU couldn't win the tournament, the fans needed to clamor for something.
Did anyone really think MU would have gone to anything less than the NIT?
MU had a reason to do so and the fans followed without question.
If MU had declined the tournament, MU fans would have said, "Good move Dan! MU is better than those teams. We need to focus on the big dance! Unlike football where we go to whatever name bowl game and play against a crap opponent...MU basketball has higher standards!"

Just remember, your enthusiasm should exist across the board.
But it doesn't, and that's pretty sad.
Please explain how my enthusiasm is not "across the board". I am missing something. I have never posted anything negative about Doc or the football program. I like and respect both Doc and Dan! Don't always agree with decision making but that is to be expected from a sports fan!

Last edited:
Please explain how my enthusiasm is not "across the board". I am missing something. I have never posted anything negative about Doc or the football program. I like and respect both Doc and Dan! Don't always agree with decision making but that is to be expected from a sports fan!

Well, considering how you separated yourself from others in the description.
The fact this board becomes a multi month b*tchfest in the fall because the football team drops a pass.
Then fans see some G5 school play a P5 school real tough, compare MU to that school, then say, "woe is me, MU sucks, CUSA sucks, NCAA sucks!" Then MU wins and nobody sees the win but literally everything else.
If MU beat the basketball equivalent of Purdue in football, the fans on here would treat the win as something glorious.
All they did when MU did win, was complain that Purdue was terrible and Doc only beats bad teams.
People find ways to crap on one sport while finding ways to bolster another when both should get the same amount of accolades.
Maybe not you specifically, but many on here reserve biased opinions of entire programs because of 1 or 2 people in said program.

The fact this board becomes a multi month b*tchfest in the fall because the football team drops a pass.
Then fans see some G5 school play a P5 school real tough, compare MU to that school, then say, "woe is me, MU sucks, CUSA sucks, NCAA sucks!" Then MU wins and nobody sees the win but literally everything else.
If MU beat the basketball equivalent of Purdue in football, the fans on here would treat the win as something glorious.
All they did when MU did win, was complain that Purdue was terrible and Doc only beats bad teams.
People find ways to crap on one sport while finding ways to bolster another when both should get the same amount of accolades.
Maybe not you specifically, but many on here reserve biased opinions of entire programs because of 1 or 2 people in said program.

Your description is of some the fans that posts messages here and on Old Fairfield. The majority of my friends and folks I meet at games, on campus and in the community support Marshall's athletic programs across the board. Men's basketball and the football program receive the greatest support. I do hear a few negative comments about both coaches and or players, but very little. We are doing very well with a rather small athletic budget. Hamrick and our coaches are to be commended for what we are accomplishing and our future does look very bright for Marshall Athletics. I attended the baseball stadium announcement and it was well supported by the community. Afterwards, there were some negative comments posted about the planned structure. Most of the folks attending did not express any negative comments about the stadium on these boards, in private or public conversations. That has been my experience. Frustrations, from me, come from the negative comments about players. If the comments were limited to specific plays or describing perceived performance deficiencies, that would be more acceptable. Many of the negative posts become somewhat personal. Iran has been the target of most of the recent postings, He and The other players representing Marshall deserve better. The coaches and administrators are paid from public funds and that automatically opens the door for criticism. I don't agree with that. I worked for the federal government for over 34 years and heard and read numerous rants about government employees not doing their jobs properly. Some of the criticisms were legit. Experience indicates to me that most federal employees, that I know or met, were dedicated to their work and did a good job. We are so lucky to live in country where we can freely express our differences. It's unfortunate we all allow them to digress into hatred, personal attacks and sometimes bigotry.

A point of note: In 2015, I was in Indianapolis for the Final Four. On Monday of the title game---I drove to West Lafayette to visit Purdue University....before driving on to South Bend to see Notre Dame. BTW...South Bend is the dirtiest city I have ever visited!!!!

I was in the student store purchasing some items (golf repair tool with the Boilermaker logo & a tee shirt). Two young men approached me (I was wearing a Marshall shirt).....asking me..."Sir, did you attend the recent Purdue @ Marshall football game in Huntington?" "YES, I did." I said---"Did you guys enjoy all the bars near campus?" They replied..."Oh no, we play football for Purdue & coach would never permit us to visit bars on the road!"

One of the players said....."Sir, I want to say something about Marshall and your fans." I WAS NOT SURE WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO HERD!

"Sir, I'm a junior and I have traveled to cities in the Big Ten (he disliked Columbus & ohio state the most)......"your team defeated us and even after the game and before---during our visit)---YOUR FANS, PLAYERS & Coaching Staff treated us THE BEST of any school I have played against."

The other played added..."I HERD it's not like that in Morgantown!"

I found that amusing...

HerdZilla22 in Charlottte

A point of note:

I was in the student store purchasing some items (golf repair tool with the Boilermaker logo & a tee shirt). Two young men approached me (I was wearing a Marshall shirt).....asking me..."Sir, did you attend the recent Purdue @ Marshall football game in Huntington?" "YES, I did." I said---"Did you guys enjoy all the bars near campus?" They replied..."Oh no, we play football for Purdue & coach would never permit us to visit bars on the road!"
Purdue stayed in Marriott in Charleston.

One of the players said....."Sir, I want to say something about Marshall and your fans." I WAS NOT SURE WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO HERD!

"Sir, I'm a junior and I have traveled to cities in the Big Ten (he disliked Columbus & ohio state the most)......"your team defeated us and even after the game and before---during our visit)---YOUR FANS, PLAYERS & Coaching Staff treated us THE
A point of note: In 2015, I was in Indianapolis for the Final Four. On Monday of the title game---I drove to West Lafayette to visit Purdue University....before driving on to South Bend to see Notre Dame. BTW...South Bend is the dirtiest city I have ever visited!!!!

"Sir, I'm a junior and I have traveled to cities in the Big Ten (he disliked Columbus & ohio state the most)......"your team defeated us and even after the game and before---during our visit)---YOUR FANS, PLAYERS & Coaching Staff treated us THE BEST of any school I have played against."

The other played added..."I HERD it's not like that in Morgantown!"

I found that amusing...

HerdZilla22 in Charlottte
Purdue stayed at the Marriott in Charleston. Your story is baloney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT