ADVERTISEMENT

"Lack of explosive players"

How many times have we heard that #1 and #7 are game changers - is it the QB or are they just ok players - I’ve been hearing that #1 is a difference maker for 3 years - am I missing something - why not get more guys opportunities - #2 #0 #19 #13 all are veterans and get minimal reps - we run 12 personal and never get the ball to the TE we run 12 personal when we should have 4 WR to spread out the D - I’m baffled

Reactions: FootballArmy
tenor.gif

I mean, in reality he's not wrong... If we had better, "more explosive," players then the coaching issues wouldn't matter. We could just out-athlete everyone like we used to in the MAC.

If we had Alabama talent, every slow-developing garbage read option would gain 8 yards, every ill advised pass late over the middle would be a first down, and every wide receiver screen would go to the house. Sounds good, let's do that.

I mean, in reality he's not wrong... If we had better, "more explosive," players then the coaching issues wouldn't matter. We could just out-athlete everyone like we used to in the MAC.

If we had Alabama talent, every slow-developing garbage read option would gain 8 yards, every ill advised pass late over the middle would be a first down, and every wide receiver screen would go to the house. Sounds good, let's do that.
I agree....we have too many "just another guy" types on this team. No real difference makers once you get past Leborn.

Reactions: horsrman
I agree....we have too many "just another guy" types on this team. No real difference makers once you get past Leborn.
Problem is we are not and will never be Alabama. That is why we need an elite x and o coach. Huff is not that, does anyone even know if he knew how to put a game plan together when hired? I doubt it, he was never even an coordinator.

Reactions: putnam green
Problem is we are not and will never be Alabama. That is why we need an elite x and o coach. Huff is not that, does anyone even know if he knew how to put a game plan together when hired? I doubt it, he was never even an coordinator.
"It's not about X's and O's it's about Jimmies and Joes" - Duffy Doughtery. I was hoping that Huff would attract some guys that might be able to play on Sunday, don't see many of those types wearing Green and White. I agree a great scheme coach would be great .

Reactions: MUMAN3419

agree and that is why we need to be sure to hire the right coach. Randy was a once in a lifetime player who immediately (along with a good supporting cast) elevated us to the next level. Add two NFL QB and our first 6 years primed us for unparalleled success on the field in the MAC as we jumped up a division in play. so you are correct we just had better horses in our stable in the early days of the MAC. Hope the best for Huff but if this continues to trend the direction it is we need to take another look at things by next year IMO. I guess I think he deserves at least 3 years to get things going considering we hired him to win titles.

I bet Laborn really appreciated him saying that.

All he does is throw his players under the bus and shift the blame.

Reactions: herd66
How many times have we heard that #1 and #7 are game changers - is it the QB or are they just ok players - I’ve been hearing that #1 is a difference maker for 3 years - am I missing something - why not get more guys opportunities - #2 #0 #19 #13 all are veterans and get minimal reps - we run 12 personal and never get the ball to the TE we run 12 personal when we should have 4 WR to spread out the D - I’m baffled
Brought in Stacey Marshall just to throw to him 1 time.

Lol. You can't make plays if no one is throwing you the ball. Huff is a bum and he brought in Colombi that's a bum. We are where are because of him. Not because of the roster.

Anytime a coach says it is about the jimmy's and joes, tells you they are not a good coach. Our last two coaches had this in common.
At least for the most part our last coach beat up on the bad teams. Huff can't even do that.

Lol. You can't make plays if no one is throwing you the ball. Huff is a bum and he brought in Colombi that's a bum. We are where are because of him. Not because of the roster.
Take away Leborn, who's our "best" offensive player? I would guess Gammage but he doesn't seem to get much separation from the DB not that Henry could hit him anyway.

When the news about Ali broke, Coach Huff said it was a "leave of absence" to deal with "personal issues" and that his absence was "not as detrimental as it may seem." They go on to beat Notre Dame and after the game Coach Huff said that there were a lot of ways we needed to play better and though he was happy to win, the team needed to get to the place where "we don't just focus on the result" but rather how we play.

Now Coach Huff acknowledges that Ali is injured with no mention of "personal issues" and uses his absence as an excuse for lack of offensive production. No more mention of "not as detrimental as it may seem." Also, Coach Huff thought Gardner-Webb was the "most beautiful win" they have had. Suddenly gone is the "focus on how we play, not just the result."

Laborn is on pace for 1,700 yards rushing. As great as Ali is, how much better could he do? The pass game is anemic and the protection is a dumpster fire. Everything about the response to these struggles, from not even acknowledging them to changing stories and moving goalposts, is tone deaf.

Take away Leborn, who's our "best" offensive player? I would guess Gammage but he doesn't seem to get much separation from the DB not that Henry could hit him anyway.
Keaton is pretty darn explosive. However he's out there running around wide open while Colombi is crippled with fear running backwards. You also can't complain about explosive players if all you do is throw screens to the near side of the field.

It's the players fault.....if that makes sense. Btw coach, we went like 25-3 with Randy and 25-1 the next couple seasons without Randy. Nope, it's a coach that is in over his head and all he can do it talk.
Well if we take Moss, Kresser, Pennington, Chapman maybe a couple others out of the game….

Let’s look….

nope still didn’t effect our offensive production…

Well if we take Moss, Kresser, Pennington, Chapman maybe a couple others out of the game….

Let’s look….

nope still didn’t effect our offensive production…
Could you imagine how awkward it must be in the Shewey right now. Huff stood up there and gave all the credit for our success to Randy yet Doug Chapman and Mike Bartrum are on staff and Chad is a constant presence.

What a douche.

Last edited:
Could you imagine how awkward is must be in the Shewey right now. Huff stood up there and gave all the credit for our success to Randy yet Doug Chapman and Mike Bartrum are on staff and Chad is a constant presence.

What a douche.
Yep. He has totally lost me. He knows his seat is HOT and is throwing his players under the bus AGAIN. Be a man coach and say, listen I am young and an ego maniac and I really do not have many coaching connections that is why I hired trickett and kept cramsey last year. I'm still learning but no one will work harder than me to get things worked out. Do not call out past teams and say they would have sucked without Randy when we did just fine multiple seasons without Randy. F him.

Yep. He has totally lost me. He knows his seat is HOT and is throwing his players under the bus AGAIN. Be a man coach and say, listen I am young and an ego maniac and I really do not have many coaching connections that is why I hired trickett and kept cramsey last year. I'm still learning but no one will work harder than me to get things worked out. Do not call out past teams and say they would have sucked without Randy when we did just fine multiple seasons without Randy. F him.
I'm seriously wondering to think at this point if he wants let go and collect the buyout ($1.5 mill, maybe) ?

I'm seriously wondering to think at this point if he wants let go and collect the buyout ($1.5 mill, maybe) ?
I dont think so. He wants to win so he can get out of here. I just think he isn't ready to be a head coach and he is in over his head.

Reactions: mlblack16.
This is the kind of press conference you go with when --

1. Your team is underachieving.
2. You are starting to hear rumblings from the boosters/alumni (and I don't mean us middle-class message board folks, I mean the people who write the big checks)
3. You know it's unlikely you are going to beat JMU on the road.
4. You are quietly hoping a lot of this team isn't here next year.
5. All of the above.

This is the kind of press conference you go with when --

1. Your team is underachieving.
2. You are starting to hear rumblings from the boosters/alumni (and I don't mean us middle-class message board folks, I mean the people who write the big checks)
3. You know it's unlikely you are going to beat JMU on the road.
4. You are quietly hoping a lot of this team isn't here next year.
5. All of the above.
I've heard of making excuses when the ship is going down, but never to attack the credibility of past success.

I'd venture to guess that Huff and Trickett could screw up having a Randy Moss.

I didn’t take it that way at all. He said take Randy off that team what happens?

Valid question, could be asked if any team. Yes, we had plenty of others guys during those years that were NFL talents and great college players….take Randy off the ‘96 & ‘97 teams and do we finish just as good, better or worse?? Who knows, fun to banter about….can’t say it wouldn’t make a big difference but as stated we had a lot of talent that all were big contributors and highly talented

I didn’t take it that way at all. He said take Randy off that team what happens?

Valid question, could be asked if any team. Yes, we had plenty of others guys during those years that were NFL talents and great college players….take Randy off the ‘96 & ‘97 teams and do we finish just as good, better or worse?? Who knows, fun to banter about….can’t say it wouldn’t make a big difference but as stated we had a lot of talent that all were big contributors and highly talented
Then he went on to say we had no players like a Randy or Barry that can make plays out of nothing. Translation. We have no playmakers. Forgetting that we have this dude.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If that press conference doesn't concern you as a Herd Fan, I don't know what will. Either we have a coach making a bunch of excuses, or he is saying we don't have the players to compete. One way or the other it is a bad sign.

Also, I can't believe he is trying to sale a two platoon QB system. In my life I have never heard somebody use the logic and reasoning he is and be successful. Guarantee you there is player dissention on the Offensive as some will want Colombi and some will want Fancher. That is what happens when a coach doesn't have the balls to make a decision.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT