ADVERTISEMENT

"Lack of explosive players"

If that press conference doesn't concern you as a Herd Fan, I don't know what will. Either we have a coach making a bunch of excuses, or he is saying we don't have the players to compete. One way or the other it is a bad sign.

Also, I can't believe he is trying to sale a two platoon QB system. In my life I have never heard somebody use the logic and reasoning he is and be successful. Guarantee you there is player dissention on the Offensive as some will want Colombi and some will want Fancher. That is what happens when a coach doesn't have the balls to make a decision.
Only time I remember a team being successful was florida. Tim Tebow and I forgot the other qbs name. But the old saying goes....if you have 2 qbs then you don't have 1. It's true about 99.99% of the time. So we definitely do not have the coaching or a qb.

There is no way we regress like we have after the first 2 games without poor coaching. Problem is as a G5 you have to expand and change up your playbook throughout the year. Huff screwed us because he has no connections to a good oc and chose trickett who is probably being told what to do by Legg. Not a good recipe for a position coach that gets a HC job to put another rookie at the OC spot. The DC and OC position are honestly the 2 most important jobs on the football team for x and o advantages. I run car dealerships and the first few years I had alot to learn and made more mistakes than I can count. Now in year 11 I am a problem solver. You cannot replace experience and we are really seeing that on the offensive side of the ball. Then add Legg to the equation and you have the worst offense in America.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Always remember, never forget, Huff has never stayed in one place very long. That alone is not such a big deal but add everything else into the equation and it is.
Best case scenario is he gets another hc job after this season (highly unlikely) or gets a coordinator job at a p5. Imo, the coordinator job would be likely because he could get a pay raise and a chance to learn how to run one side of the ball. Plus he could salvage his future aspirations of getting a big time job, because I do not see that happening here. All I see is a coach being dismissed after year 3 because he won 8 games in 2 years. Man I hope I'm wrong and he turns things around.

Not good. From what I hear, it sounds like a coach that is trying to cover up a dysfunctional program right now. I've heard all of these, what I call them, pretty or fancy talk words before as I worked as an SID at an NAIA school nearby. He mentions "protecting his players," then within minutes, says "we lack explosive players."

Also, I did not care for the sarcastic answers to the media. He is getting very easy questions to answer -- this is not Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, or Tennessee where the media is on you constantly. I think Huff needs to work on a whole lot of things within his program before being sarcastic to anybody.

The Twitter talk was nauseating. For a coach who only makes his players available for interviews on Tuesdays and doesn't make them available to the media much (outside of the local TV media contingent who seemingly has free reign), he seems to care quite a bit about what is said on Twitter.

I'll leave it at this: you are only as successful as the people that you trust to do their jobs around you. I feel like he is too worried about access around the program and not enough about how guys are getting better on a day-by-day basis.

Not good. From what I hear, it sounds like a coach that is trying to cover up a dysfunctional program right now. I've heard all of these, what I call them, pretty or fancy talk words before as I worked as an SID at an NAIA school nearby. He mentions "protecting his players," then within minutes, says "we lack explosive players."

Also, I did not care for the sarcastic answers to the media. He is getting very easy questions to answer -- this is not Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, or Tennessee where the media is on you constantly. I think Huff needs to work on a whole lot of things within his program before being sarcastic to anybody.

The Twitter talk was nauseating. For a coach who only makes his players available for interviews on Tuesdays and doesn't make them available to the media much (outside of the local TV media contingent who seemingly has free reign), he seems to care quite a bit about what is said on Twitter.

I'll leave it at this: you are only as successful as the people that you trust to do their jobs around you. I feel like he is too worried about access around the program and not enough about how guys are getting better on a day-by-day basis.
More characteristics of NPD.

Only time I remember a team being successful was florida. Tim Tebow and I forgot the other qbs name. But the old saying goes....if you have 2 qbs then you don't have 1. It's true about 99.99% of the time. So we definitely do not have the coaching or a qb.

There is no way we regress like we have after the first 2 games without poor coaching. Problem is as a G5 you have to expand and change up your playbook throughout the year. Huff screwed us because he has no connections to a good oc and chose trickett who is probably being told what to do by Legg. Not a good recipe for a position coach that gets a HC job to put another rookie at the OC spot. The DC and OC position are honestly the 2 most important jobs on the football team for x and o advantages. I run car dealerships and the first few years I had alot to learn and made more mistakes than I can count. Now in year 11 I am a problem solver. You cannot replace experience and we are really seeing that on the offensive side of the ball. Then add Legg to the equation and you have the worst offense in America.
But even then Tebow was only brought in to run certain plays. He wasn't coming in at predetermined times marks in the game as Huff eluded to.

Flordia wasn't doing it because they didn't have a solid unquestioned starter. We're doing it because neither guy is good enough to be THE guy

And the other QBs name was Chris Leak.

I think it’s interesting that he’s essentially completely blaming the record thus far on Ali’s absence given the stats thus far. If the problem is that we’re missing our starting RB why are we running the ball 53% of the time through 4 FBS games as opposed to 33% of the time through 4 FBS games last season? Not that I think our QB’s are good but they have a better passer rating than Wells did last season so far. Seems like a pretty bad idea to change the gameplan so drastically to lean towards the run without the RB who he just essentially said is the only one on the team who can score for us...

I think it’s interesting that he’s essentially completely blaming the record thus far on Ali’s absence given the stats thus far. If the problem is that we’re missing our starting RB why are we running the ball 53% of the time through 4 FBS games as opposed to 33% of the time through 4 FBS games last season? Not that I think our QB’s are good but they have a better passer rating than Wells did last season so far. Seems like a pretty bad idea to change the gameplan so drastically to lean towards the run without the RB who he just essentially said is the only one on the team who can score for us...
1. Laborn is one of the top5 leading backs in the nation

2. Grant wasn't great, but he's better than Colombi and Fancher. Grant's biggest issue is forcing plays late in games when nothing's going. Colombi is scared to throw the ball period.

……and, I’m going to say it: been a loooooong time since we have had a QB who has both ❤️ & a fire in their belly to win. Cato, yes. That was 8 seasons ago! We’re probably not going to see the likes of Chad & Byron again, but it would give us fans a ton more confidence in a QB who cares, and is not shy about letting his line/rb’s/receivers know about it when they are not getting it done! Ours are mute, and not interested, it would seem, in whether we win or lose. That goes back to Huff 100%. He talks, and that’s about it….

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Let’s face it. If we had 3 of Doc’s backups we would be undefeated. Imo we need a QB and 2 OTs
If we had Fronapple (sp?) on this team he was a backup better than what we had
Docs last yr we had 3 OT for 2 positions that all played so take that odd man out
And I guarantee you can find another OT that was a back up that’s better than what we have

Man....what a wasted season. Defense is very solid and the offense is offensive. Wish Huff could have got an experienced OC and a good transfer QB and we could have had a great season. Also some decent OT's, he said he knew the oline was questionable but didnt fix it. I know that's alot of ifs, but can we catch a da%^ break? 1 thing I know for certain is everyone on this board and on Herdfans love MU. We give our time and money but my patience is running thin. Another year......another missed opportunity.

Keaton is pretty darn explosive. However he's out there running around wide open while Colombi is crippled with fear running backwards. You also can't complain about explosive players if all you do is throw screens to the near side of the field.
Why do you think Keaton is explosive - what have you seen from him outside of punt returns - he doesn’t get open - drops - poor blocking - poor route running - sure every receiver is wide open at some point on a play if the play isn’t designed to go that way

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Why do you think Keaton is explosive - what have you seen from him outside of punt returns - he doesn’t get open - drops - poor blocking - poor route running - sure every receiver is wide open at some point on a play if the play isn’t designed to go that way
I've seen plenty of plays. How about taking an absolutely busted double pass at ND and turning into 15-20 yard run. 99.9999 times out of 10 that is a loss if yards or the WR heaves an INT.

When he gets the ball in his hands he makes plays.

Reactions: hwarwithin
So you make a decision on explosiveness off a busted play that was supposed to be a pass down field that he turns into a 20 yard rush - ok - your clueless

So you make a decision on explosiveness off a busted play that was supposed to be a pass down field that he turns into a 20 yard rush - ok - your clueless
Says the person that doesn't understand the difference between your and you're.

Also nowhere did I state that one singular play formed my decision, but carry on genius.

35catches 2 TDs in 3 years - that’s not explosive - I agree he is a good returner
So do you also ignore that he missed significant amounts of time due to injury. He's never been able to play an entire season.

Also please point to how Trickett or Cramsey understands how to use their players in ways to showcase their abilities.

you just made my argument - you can’t keep blaming the OC - players need to execute and be consistent- take your rose colored glasses off

you just made my argument - you can’t keep blaming the OC - players need to execute and be consistent- take your rose colored glasses off
Oh yea I wear rose colored glasses let me tell ya. Kind of hard for any player to be explosive when the QBs suck and all the OC wants to call are bubble screens.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
You can’t make statements that a player is a game changer - game breaker - takes the top off the defense…blah blah blah . The last 3 years …results matter

You can’t make statements that a player is a game changer - game breaker - takes the top off the defense…blah blah blah . The last 3 years …results matter
Yea. I didn't say any other those. We'll never know what any of our WRs can do until we get a QB that can actually play. Colombi is crippled with fear out there and Fancher's mechanics lead to pretty poor accuracy.....blah blah blah blah

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT