ADVERTISEMENT

Bad Football Hires

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
The easiest way for a head coach to get fired, other than getting caught plugging a co-ed, is to make bad hires. Let's look at two recent ones.

wvu's former OC, Jake Spavital, left to take over the Texas State program. He hired this guy to be his head strength coach. Really? This guy posts shirtless gym pictures on his Instagram page where recruits, parents of recruits, etc. follow him, and then makes captions like " . . . you know I ain't scared." And what kind of fvcking pose is that? He not only doesn't look good enough to be posting shirtless pictures on his social media, but he is a fvcking strength coach and isn't impressive physically. I'm embarrassed for him. Put your shirt on, moron.

ZucCFAB.jpg

FAU hired this guy straight out of East Mississippi Community College. Of course, he is also a former wvu player, so you already know he is an idiot. Again, this guy posts these types of things on his Instagram where recruits, parents of recruits, etc. follow him.

First, he says "what the fvck" in his caption. Then, he tries swearing but can't even correctly spell "damn." In another one, he said "shit is lit!" The "shit" part isn't nearly as bad as this guy going around saying "lit."

vu4hKfF.png

j4cJKdD.png

Bump this to the top.

Guys, will someone please respond to this or can a couple of you discuss or at least humor Yags. This just rolled right down the forum since no one seems to give a shit. That's fine for most posters here, but I fear no one commenting on yags new topic is too big of hit to his self esteem. He takes pride in his message board prowess so can some of you please humor him.

thank in advance

Bump this to the top.

Guys, will someone please respond to this or can a couple of you discuss or at least humor Yags. This just rolled right down the forum since no one seems to give a shit. That's fine for most posters here, but I fear no one commenting on yags new topic is too big of hit to his self esteem. He takes pride in his message board prowess so can some of you please humor him.

thank in advance

Christ, you've even resorted to stealing my lines in an attempt. I've said it before, but you're the worst poster to ever grace this board. Moderators rarely speak up about those types types of things, but multiple ones have even called you out for how bad you are at this. Like previously mentioned, you're the guy who keeps following people around disparaging others without realizing that nobody wants you around. You randomly show up at house dinners/parties that you were never invited to. People see you in public and try to hide before you see them, so that they don't have to talk to you. You're that guy.

I've been over this numerous times over the years. There is absolutely nothing grammatically wrong in many cases with ending sentences with a preposition. In the case above, it is referred to as a "stranded preposition." Stranded prepositions are entirely acceptable. It takes a simple Google search for you fools to educate yourself instead of allowing me to embarrass you.

Instead of calling these bad hires, perhaps you should look at what they are doing because they are, in fact, getting hired.

Reactions: 19MU88
Christ, you've even resorted to stealing my lines in an attempt. I've said it before, but you're the worst poster to ever grace this board. Moderators rarely speak up about those types types of things, but multiple ones have even called you out for how bad you are at this. Like previously mentioned, you're the guy who keeps following people around disparaging others without realizing that nobody wants you around. You randomly show up at house dinners/parties that you were never invited to. People see you in public and try to hide before you see them, so that they don't have to talk to you. You're that guy.

Quite the response. Just so I know, which one is your line?

If I did use a line that you’ve used before, just chalk it up to just trying to be good at message boards like you. I guess I need a couple more screen names

I've been over this numerous times over the years. There is absolutely nothing grammatically wrong in many cases with ending sentences with a preposition. In the case above, it is referred to as a "stranded preposition." Stranded prepositions are entirely acceptable. It takes a simple Google search for you fools to educate yourself instead of allowing me to embarrass you.
Well, you must be part of the new education system. They used to red pen the papers like cray for ending sentences with a preposition.

• Fly to others that we know not of — William Shakespeare
  • We are such stuff / As dreams are made on. — William Shakespeare
  • Houses are built to live in, not to look on. — Francis Bacon
  • What a fine conformity would it starch us all into.— John Milton
  • … soil good to be born on, good to live on, good to die for and to be buried in. — James Russell Lowell
  • All words are pegs to hang ideas on. — Henry Ward Beecher

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Instead of calling these bad hires, perhaps you should look at what they are doing because they are, in fact, getting hired.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that I haven't had handfuls of coaches calling me over the last year trying to hire me. I forgot about all of the applications I have completed for coaching positions where I just can't get hired.

For some reason, you deplorables just can't seem to understand how somebody can retire in his early 30s and then be able to pick-and-choose if and where he decides to work. You deplorables can't seem to understand how somebody doesn't "just have to have a boss" and doesn't "just have to be working somewhere." You deplorables can't seem to understand how somebody can spend his days working out twice per day, doing whatever he wants all day, be able to travel the world staying in five-star hotels, and not have to work into his fifties.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that I haven't had handfuls of coaches calling me over the last year trying to hire me. I forgot about all of the applications I have completed for coaching positions where I just can't get hired.

For some reason, you deplorables just can't seem to understand how somebody can retire in his early 30s and then be able to pick-and-choose if and where he decides to work. You deplorables can't seem to understand how somebody doesn't "just have to have a boss" and doesn't "just have to be working somewhere." You deplorables can't seem to understand how somebody can spend his days working out twice per day, doing whatever he wants all day, be able to travel the world staying in five-star hotels, and not have to work into his fifties.
I think we understand it. We just want you to go to work and that way you will be busy doing something else.

I think we understand it. We just want you to go to work and that way you will be busy doing something else.

I'd be more concerned about somebody who is stealing an employer's paycheck by posting and reading on here all day compared with somebody who is posting and reading on here while working out, traveling, and not stealing an employer's paycheck.

I'd be more concerned about somebody who is stealing an employer's paycheck by posting and reading on here all day compared with somebody who is posting and reading on here while working out, traveling, and not stealing an employer's paycheck.

I'd be more concerned about that person too. Some of us are good enough to multitask, use technology, and still be the company's #1 guy at the end of every year. I am not sure everybody is though.

What we don't understand is how someone can love college football and being a college football coach, yet can't seem to stay employed anywhere long enough to establish himself. We also don't get how there can be over 750 colleges/universities offering a football program, yet you can't seem to find the one you want to coach for, despite having endless coaches calling you, begging to have you come save their program.

yet can't seem to stay employed anywhere long enough to establish himself.

Can't establish myself? Christ, you're getting dumber by the day. How's this for a stat:

How's this for establishing myself: every single starter in my position units who has completed his collegiate eligibility has signed either an NFL or CFL contract. That includes 3 QBs, 3 WRs, and 1 OLB. After the final two starters I have coached finish their eligibility next season, that should add yet another QB and yet another OLB.

How's this for establishing myself: I've led multiple recruiting classes to national, top 25 rankings, at two schools where it had never happened before.

And can't stay employed long enough? First, coaches within their first ten years usually bounce around annually. Hell, coaches after their first ten years usually bounce around frequently. I was at one school for a year and then took a full-time, on-field position at another school. I was there for two years and then left when I wasn't getting paid my contractually obligated salary. I then went to a school for a year where the head coach was terminated, yet I was one of only two coaches retained on the new staff. When given an opportunity to go to an FBS, I left to go there. After a year there, I left when seeing some of the shady things that head coach was doing and seeing that the ship was going to sink. There's nothing unusual about that career projection or timeline.

We also don't get how there can be over 750 colleges/universities offering a football program, yet you can't seem to find the one you want to coach for, despite having endless coaches calling you, begging to have you come save their program.

Well, you don't get a lot of things, so you not understanding this is not a surprise.

There are only about 250 D1 schools. I have no interest no matter the circumstance in coaching at the other 500 you referenced. Of those 250 D1 schools left, about 100 of them do not interest me unless I was a head coach there. Of the remaining 150, only about 50 of them would appeal to me in an analyst/quality control position. Of those 150, only about 130 would appeal to me in an on-field position, but even with many of those, it would have to be the right situation.

I've had plenty of FCS schools try hiring me in on-field spots and plenty of FBS schools try hiring me in analyst/QC spots. But not the ones I would want to work with/for.

It would be like if CVS tried hiring you to be a janitor. You wouldn't take it. But if CVS offered you to be a cashier, you'd jump at the chance. On the other hand, if WalGreens offered you to be a cashier, you'd turn it down.

I laugh out loud at you.

If you were as good as you think you are, a program you would be interested in would pay you enough to coach there.

I laugh out loud at you.

If you were as good as you think you are, a program you would be interested in would pay you enough to coach there.
We all do banker. But at least he is “good at message boards” but jobs and life? Not so much

I laugh out loud at you.

The whole stadium laughed out loud when you got punked out by Herdftblfan.

No, that's not how it works for many reasons. But let's just look at one reason: If you/your father haven't worked with those head coaches/coordinators, you don't get much of a chance. Head coaches and coordinators look out for their guys. That's why coaches keep getting fired, recycled, and hired.

Let's just look at one school - Texas State. Their head coach/staff was let go this year.

Texas State's defense over the last two years improved from 117th in the country to 53rd. By all accounts, that's a hell of an improvement. More, almost the entire starting defense returned which means likely even more improvement in national rankings. The strength of Texas State's defense (and entire team) was run defense. Their pass defense struggled. In fact, in 2017, they went the entire year without an interception. Again, the team went an entire season without an interception. That hadn't happened at the FBS level for 20 years.

Texas State's offense in 2017 was 107 in the country. And that was with having an SEC starting QB transfer in as a grad transfer. Clearly, 107th is bad. So how'd they do in 2018? They finished 120th in the country in offense. Terrible.

Based on the Texas State defense making huge improvements and being solid (especially the front seven), and Texas State's offense being bad and becoming even worse, your argument should mean that the Texas State defensive staff would have no problem getting good offers while the offensive staff would be left in the cold, right?

What happened? Well, the receivers coach was the only coach retained. Why would that happen if the offense was terrible? Were the receivers the lone bright spot? Nope. The receivers combined for 1200 receiving yards total all season. In comparison, the running back and tight ends had 1000 receiving yards total. So the receivers definitely weren't standing out. Was he a good recruiter? Nope. So why would he get detained? His wife is the head women's basketball coach. A new coach didn't want to come in and ruffle feathers in the athletic department by separating a family with young children, so the receivers coach was retained. The fact that he is a minority didn't hurt his cause either.

What happened to the offensive line coach? Well, before his two year stint at Texas State, he had only been a GA. His two years at Texas State, as shown, were very unproductive. The offense, especially the offensive line, was terrible. Clearly, with only two years of coaching and having two years of really bad production, he'd struggle finding a similar job, right? Nope. He was hired in a MUCH better job as the offensive line coach at BYU. How the fvck does that happen? Well, BYU's new offensive coordinator was his boss a few years earlier when the guy was a GA.

How about quarterbacks? Well, the QBs coach had never been a college QBs coach. He had been a receivers coach at the FCS level. How did the QBs at Texas State do? Over the last two years, they threw 26 TDs/21 INTs. Pretty bad, right? Yep. They averaged 194 yards per game passing over the last two years which includes one of those years being with a former SEC starting QB. Like the rest of the offense, the QBs were bad. Surely, he'd struggle with another job at that level, right? Nope. He took a hell of a quality control position at Ohio State where he knew some of the coaches when he was a GA there a few years prior.

How about the tight ends coach? Well, in 2015, he was a G5 GA. In 2016, he was the offensive line coach. However, he was demoted from being the OL coach. Not wanting to fire a first year coach who was just hired and had a young family, he was hidden at the tight end spot. Again, a G5 GA to a demotion on a horrible offense. He also got hired in a much better position by going to North Texas thanks to having previously coached with a guy on that staff when he was a GA.

The running backs coach who was also the offensive coordinator who ran that awful offense the last couple of years? He was given an interview for a full-time position at Old Dominion since he had coached with their head coach before.

Now, compare that to what happened to the defensive staff which excelled in their recruiting and performance on the field.

The DC who operated that success? He had been at Oklahoma as an analyst for many years prior to Texas State. He struggled finding a job and just accepted an analyst position at Kansas (much worse than any of the jobs the guys on offense landed). What about the defensive line coach the last two years who helped that huge improvement? He hasn't found a job. What about the outside linebackers coach who helped that huge improvement? He hasn't found a job. What about the safeties coach who helped that huge improvement? He was hired at an FCS, much worse than anyone on offense, and he only got that job because his dad and uncle are huge football coaching names. What about the cornerbacks coach? Even though cornerbacks were the one weakness in the defense, he was able to get a good job as an analyst at Georgia.

So even though the Texas State offense was awful for the last three years, all of their coaches either were retained or given better opportunities. The defense which was the strength of the team and saw huge improvements? Almost all of them weren't hired or had to take lower jobs.

So tell me again how if a coach is good enough and produces, he will get better (more accurately "worthwhile" in my case) opportunities. That's not how this game works.

Cliff Notes please Sturt jr
That is who I was thinking of, Sturt. I think they banned him on a site because he was writing novels.

Yagi, your best posts are the ones with the pictures of the whore bags.

Reactions: WV-FAN
Someone is just realizing the world isn't fair it seems.

If every player you touch becomes a pro, if you recruit nearly as well as you say you do, if, as you claim, you are usually (or always) the smartest guy in the room, and if you have a plethora of coaches calling and offering you jobs, then you should have one somewhere you would like to be.

Here's what I think. Coaches don't want to hire a guy who might sue them, as is your record. Coaches don't want to hire narcissist who think they know everything. They don't want to hire guys who aren't really serious about it and would rather hang out on message boards instead of improving their craft and networking. Instead of chasing tail on beaches, trying to hold on to 25 instead of accepting 40, maybe you should be networking, taking trips to the school's you want to be at and asking to speak to the assistants and watch a practice. The people calling you about jobs are small time where you would barely make a living wage for your 80-100 hours a week, that's the only schools desperate enough.

Someone is just realizing the world isn't fair it seems.

Your logic and reading comprehension are about as good as your math skills.

How am I the one who is "just realizing the world isn't fair" when I was correcting you on how things actually work? I was the one showing you it's like that by correcting your flawed attempt. Christ.

If every player you touch becomes a pro,

There is no "if" about it. It's not hard to see what positions I coached at each school and who the starters were. Hell, I will list them their names/position/where they signed if you'd like.

if you recruit nearly as well as you say you do,

Again, there is no "if" about it. If you'd like, I can present you a list of names of kids I signed at FCS schools who had legitimate, commitable FBS offers. Hell, Ron Turner got so sick of seeing me flip his kids from FIU to an FCS (and sick of seeing my team beat his) that he wanted to hire me as his special teams coordinator. An AD at another school called me into his office to make sure I wasn't committing any recruiting violations under the guise of wanting to congratulate me for all of the commits I got from kids who had legitimate FBS offers.

if . . . you are usually (or always) the smartest guy in the room,

That's a bad thing in the eyes of a lot of coaches. Many coaches have the philosophy to not hire somebody smarter than they are. I believe in doing the opposite -hiring the smartest guys you can find. The smartest guys find ways to be the most successful.

Coaches don't want to hire a guy who might sue them, as is your record.

Well, you'd continue to be wrong. I have no record of suing a coach. I've never sued a coach. My contract was with the university. Coaches don't make contracts with other coaches. Contracts are between a university and an employee.

And, no, that is not a reason. Hell, an FCS offensive coordinator emailed and called me over the last two weeks asking about my interest. He had coached at that same school that I did two years before I got there, under the same coach, and agreed with everything that I did. He got out of there after one year.

The people calling you about jobs are small time where you would barely make a living wage for your 80-100 hours a week, that's the only schools desperate enough.

You may be approaching the most incorrect statements in one post in the history of this board.

At my second school, in my second year of coaching, the lowest salary for a coach was over $53,000. That's well over "barely make a living wage." My third school pays no assistant less than $45,000 (unless they volunteer to give some of their salary to another coach who is struggling with a family), and those are the young guys. You can live perfectly fine on that in West Texas. My last school paid no assistant less than $55,000.

They don't want to hire guys who aren't really serious about it and would rather hang out on message boards instead of improving their craft and networking.

Pfft. Coaches don't want you networking, moron. That's how they lose their assistants. Hell, many head coaches don't let their staff go to the coaches convention for that exact reason.

Here's what I think.

You should probably stop thinking, because you just threw up about a half-dozen airballs.

At my second school, in my second year of coaching, the lowest salary for a coach was over $53,000. That's well over "barely make a living wage." My third school pays no assistant less than $45,000 (unless they volunteer to give some of their salary to another coach who is struggling with a family), and those are the young guys. You can live perfectly fine on that in West Texas. My last school paid no assistant less than $55,000.

Back before the legendary MURox started his self ban, I recall you arguing that you weren't concerned about the pay, since most were such low paying and you didn't need the money anyways?

Regardless, don't you think there is a time limit to how long one can stay unemployed before he is forgotten about? Coaching seems like such a volatile profession to begin with.

Back before the legendary MURox started his self ban, I recall you arguing that you weren't concerned about the pay, since most were such low paying and you didn't need the money anyways?

What is it with you deplorables and basic reading? My comments had nothing to do with me being concerned about the pay. It was to refute the numeric challenged banker’s claim that I’m only offered jobs at places that can barely pay a living wage. Hell, I even copied his specific quote about that. Seriously, help me learn how you couldn’t understand that.

Regardless, don't you think there is a time limit to how long one can stay unemployed before he is forgotten about? Coaching seems like such a volatile profession to begin with.

Ha. No. As I’ve said, it’s a screwed up industry where the boss (the AD) is almost always the one answering to the subordinate (the head coach). It allows for head coaches to hire anyone they want regardless of merit. It’s why a coach at UConn hired his son with no coaching experience to a full-time position in violation of the state’s anti-nepotism law with no pushback from the school. It’s why FIU’s head coach can hire his son to a full-time position as a 23 year old who had one year of experience as a GA. Then, he went and hired his son’s best friend to a full-time coaching position after just one year experience as a player personnel guy. It’s why the former North Texas coach can hire a 60+ year old white guy who had been selling insurance the last four years simply because they were college roommates and best friends nearly 40 years earlier. It’s why FAU’s head coach can go out and hire a 24 year old offensive coordinator who had no full-time coaching experience at any level.

I could sit out two decades and be fine as long as my father/father’s best friend/my good friend is in a head coaching position.

Ha. No. As I’ve said, it’s a screwed up industry where the boss (the AD) is almost always the one answering to the subordinate (the head coach). It allows for head coaches to hire anyone they want regardless of merit. It’s why a coach at UConn hired his son with no coaching experience to a full-time position in violation of the state’s anti-nepotism law with no pushback from the school. It’s why FIU’s head coach can hire his son to a full-time position as a 23 year old who had one year of experience as a GA. Then, he went and hired his son’s best friend to a full-time coaching position after just one year experience as a player personnel guy. It’s why the former North Texas coach can hire a 60+ year old white guy who had been selling insurance the last four years simply because they were college roommates and best friends nearly 40 years earlier. It’s why FAU’s head coach can go out and hire a 24 year old offensive coordinator who had no full-time coaching experience at any level.

I could sit out two decades and be fine as long as my father/father’s best friend/my good friend is in a head coaching position.

And would you say that's how we ended up with Chris Rippon, who supposedly had been working in a bank before Doc hired him?

And would you say that's how we ended up with Chris Rippon, who supposedly had been working in a bank before Doc hired him?

I have no idea about so that situation. It appears he only sat out one season before going to Marshall which isn’t odd.

Go back to the Texas State example. With a defensive staff that coached its ass off, the new head coach didn’t retain any of them (but did retain a coach in the abysmal offense, as I earlier noted). So who did he hire as his defensive coordinator? His brother. Check out how his brother’s defenses have done. Abysmally. Your ability as a coach means very, very little. It’s far more a case of who you know as opposed to what you know. Sure, that’s like that in many industries and in life in general, but I’ve never seen it as extreme as this, especially for the money at stake in these positions.

I've read on these forums that Coach YAGs was holding out for a job with the MU Thundering Herd, but yet, so far, Doc has refused to respond to multiple emails/text messages that Yagi has sent to him. I think Herd Fever was the one that broke that story a couple years back.

Again, there is no "if" about it. If you'd like, I can present you a list of names of kids I signed at FCS schools who had legitimate, commitable FBS offers

That’s an easy claim to make because it’s absolutely, 100% unprovable. Even “offers” listed on recruiting sites are often not legitimate. I’m not saying that you’re necessarily lying, but that there’s no way to disprove your claim and you know it.

The most impressive part of Yagi's brief coaching career, has been his ability to keep his name ommited from being a part of most staffs. By doing so, my friend Sistersville is no longer able to call him on his work office phone.

MUrox?? I remember him. He exposed Yags for driving a beat up Nissan Maxima.

I think Herd Fever was the one that broke that story a couple years back.

No, I shared that story multiple times on here before the fakin' jamaican' tried using it against me. I shared how a few former Marshall players had emailed/called/texted Doc expressing interest in open positions or having questions, and that he hadn't responded to a single one over multiple years. I then shared how an MU coordinator called me about an opening they were about to have to let me know that he mentioned my name to Doc to fill it. However, Doc was adamant that they fill it with a minority since the only full-time minority they had on the staff at that time was Mirabel, whom I was told "is as white as you and I are."

That phone call took place in either 2015 or 2016. But I absolutely know it was in January, because I was sitting on the beach with my mother when it happened. How do I know it was January? Because as I mentioned in the story about me having driven my mom's car - which Murox the Moron inferred was my car - my mom would always stay the month of January with me at the beach. That was the same time Murox the Moron was in Orlando for his wife's race. Amazing how that works out, huh?

Only after those repeated mentions of it on here did the fakin' jamaican' post about it.

That’s an easy claim to make because it’s absolutely, 100% unprovable. Even “offers” listed on recruiting sites are often not legitimate. I’m not saying that you’re necessarily lying, but that there’s no way to disprove your claim and you know it.

Do false offers get reported on sites? Yes. Is it nearly as many as what discussions on here have made it seem? No. It isn't rampant or even "often." Is it even more rare when a recruit has multiple false offers? Yes. I believe all four kids that I signed in that particular class had more than one FBS offer.

The most impressive part of Yagi's brief coaching career, has been his ability to keep his name ommited from being a part of most staffs. By doing so, my friend Sistersville is no longer able to call him on his work office phone.

No do HN posters email the head coach talking shit about me.

MUrox?? I remember him. He exposed Yags for driving a beat up Nissan Maxima.

My mom takes impeccable care of things. It definitely wasn't beat up, dork.

My mom takes impeccable care of things. It definitely wasn't beat up, dork.

Well, if you like it, I guess that’s all that matters. I understand they are dependable. At least it helps put to rest rumors you were a trust fund baby.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT