ADVERTISEMENT

But why?

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
.....Pruett's wins were dominated with teams with winning records in 1-AA, and the transition to 1-A (MAC Championships)...do you recall the 15-0 season and a NATIONAL ranking at #10?

You need to do better research before "beating your drums." Are you related to the crazy Cortez women from NY---that wants to eliminate AIRPLANES?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

You want some research? The combined records of the teams that Marshall played in 1999?
60-75
BYU was the only opponent that even won 8 games that year. Literally every other team was 7-5, or worse.

Marshall strength of schedule by year:
1997- 101 out of 112
1998- 111 out of 112
1999- 106 out of 114
2000- 96 out of 116
2001- 99 out of 117
2002- 114 out of 117
2003- 91 out of 117
2004- 96 out of 120

Pruett certainly won more of the 'big games' than Doc has, but to try to argue that he played better quality schedules once entering 1A, is laughable.

So you might want to do YOUR research before you tell me how WRONG WRONG WRONG I am.

You want some research? The combined records of the teams that Marshall played in 1999?
60-75
BYU was the only opponent that even won 8 games that year. Literally every other team was 7-5, or worse.

Marshall strength of schedule by year:
1997- 101 out of 112
1998- 111 out of 112
1999- 106 out of 114
2000- 96 out of 116
2001- 99 out of 117
2002- 114 out of 117
2003- 91 out of 117
2004- 96 out of 120

Pruett certainly won more of the 'big games' than Doc has, but to try to argue that he played better quality schedules once entering 1A, is laughable.

So you might want to do YOUR research before you tell me how WRONG WRONG WRONG I am.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
.....The MAC is ranked HIGHER annually above CUSA in football with CUSA having a slight edge over last place Sun Belt.

Pruett's TEAMS played for CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS.....not meaningless Bowl victories like our current staff!

BTW...why did you NOT show Doc's coached teams...Strength of Schedule?
You are one piece of work....go pound your Drum!

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT

HerdZilla22 in Rainy Charlotte

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
.....The MAC is ranked HIGHER annually above CUSA in football with CUSA having a slight edge over last place Sun Belt.

Pruett's TEAMS played for CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS.....not meaningless Bowl victories like our current staff!

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT

None of your rambling has anything to do with my original post that you were calling WRONG WRONG WRONG.

My post simply stated that, as with Doc's, most of Pruett's victories came against teams with losing records. So I ask you, what exactly am I wrong about?

Since you can't seem to keep focused on the task at hand, I went ahead and did the research for you. From 1997-2004 Marshall had 71 victories against FBS level opponents. Of those 71 victories, 42 were against teams with losing records.

So as I originally stated, most of Pruett's victories at the FBS level were, INDEED against teams with losing records.

None of your rambling has anything to do with my original post that you were calling WRONG WRONG WRONG.

My post simply stated that, as with Doc's, most of Pruett's victories came against teams with losing records. So I ask you, what exactly am I wrong about?

Since you can't seem to keep focused on the task at hand, I went ahead and did the research for you. From 1997-2004 Marshall had 71 victories against FBS level opponents. Of those 71 victories, 42 were against teams with losing records.

So as I originally stated, most of Pruett's victories at the FBS level were, INDEED against teams with losing records.

OK I will buy your research.
..BUT when are you going to PUBLISH Doc's Body of Works [70-46 with 6 Bowl victories & a $755,000 salary].... since he took over in 2010?

Let's be FAIR!....I am leaving for WORK...or I would do the research.

Doc's Marshall FINAL 2018 Record: 9-4; 6-2

2018 Opponents: NC State [9-4] Herd loss...MTSU [8-6] Herd loss...FIU [9-4] Herd Win...FAU [5-7]...WKU [3-9]......ODU [5-7]...Va Tech [7-7] Herd Loss....S Florida [7-6] Herd Bowl Win....Cryimi Ohio [6-6]...EKU [4-7] 1-AA...S Miss [6-6] HERD loss....UTSA [3-9]....Charlotte [5-7] Herd Win.

FOUR teams with winning records...NC State, MTSU, **both HERD losses....FIU Herd victory....S Florida...HERD... Bowl Victory!

Yep...Doc is coaching against "some mighty fine football schools."

My point is Marshall usually plays teams with LOSING season records! Don't just pick on Coach Pruett!!!!!

Perhaps, you want to HIDE his opponents records from previous seasons?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
2018 Opponents: NC State [9-4] Herd loss...MTSU [8-6] Herd loss...FIU [9-4] Herd Win...FAU [5-7]...WKU [3-9]......ODU [5-7]...Va Tech [7-7] Herd Loss....S Florida [7-7] Herd Bowl Win....Cryimi Ohio [5-7]...EKU 4-7 1-AA...S Miss [6-6] HERD loss....UTSA [3-9]....Charlotte [5-7] Herd Win.

THREE teams with winning records...NC State, MTSU, *both HERD losses....FIU Herd victory!

Yep...Doc is coaching against "some mighty fine football schools."

My point is Marshall usually plays teams with LOSING season records! Don't just pick on Coach Pruett!!!!!

Perhaps, you want to HIDE his opponents records from previous seasons?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
For accuracy...

USF was 7-5 when we played them and ended the season 7-6.

Miami finished 6-6.

USM (who we lost against) finished 6-5.

Signing and playing are sometimes totally different ..... sometimes 4 stars are a bust and walk-ons get scholarships and contribute. This applies to all teams. Lots of variables. And yes coaching is important but only one notch in the wheel.

For accuracy...

USF was 7-5 when we played them and ended the season 7-6.

Miami finished 6-6.

USM (who we lost against) finished 6-5.

THANKS Chris...I just get tired of the Pruett bashing by someone like SnareDrum. He is quick to bash Bob...but gives Doc a FREE pass. I like the HELL out of Doc....but his records.....are what they are.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
THANKS Chris...I just get tired of the Pruitt bashing by someone like SnareDrum. He is quick to bash Bob...but gives Doc a FREE pass. I like the HELL out of Doc....but his records.....are what they are.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
Please show me in this thread where I "bashed Bob."

Whats the old saying about ignoring the past?
Well, we are looking into the future with comparisons of the past performance over the last 10 season under Doc vs BP and JD era’s it is no comparison and frankly looks more like Don Nehlen WV football!!! A whole lot of buildup and no finishing but bowl games. I just wonder who iwe are trying to impress here?

Whats the old saying about ignoring the past?
Well, we are looking into the future with comparisons of the past performance over the last 10 season under Doc vs BP and JD era’s it is no comparison and frankly looks more like Don Nehlen WV football!!! A whole lot of buildup and no finishing but bowl games. I just wonder who iwe are trying to impress here?

AGAIN I want to emphasize...I LIKE DOC.
However, it ticks me off when some posters talk crap about Bob Pruett after all the good things he did for Marshall. He played for The HERD after a stellar HS career with Billy "The Kid" Karbonit @ Beckley Woodrow Wilson. Karbonit attended Marshall, but a severe leg injury forced him to quit the sport with The HERD in the mid 1960s

HerdZilla22 in Charlorre.

Most of Doc's wins have been against teams which finished with losing records.

So were most of Pruett's.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

So your point, is the exact point that my original post made......that you told me I was wrong about.....which was that both coaches won the majority of their games against teams with losing records? o_O

AGAIN I want to emphasize...I LIKE DOC. However, it ticks me off when some posters talk crap about Bob Pruett after all the good things he did for Marshall. He played for The HERD after a stellar HS career with Billy "The Kid" Karbonit @ Beckley Woodrow Wilson. Karbonit attended Marshall, but a severe leg injury forced him to quit the sport with The HERD in the mid 1960s

HerdZilla22 in Charlorre.[/

Didn’t Bill go on to play baseball at Marshall. I know he was headed to the Pirates organization after high school until the football injury sidetracked his career.

Jim Donnan had a huge role in setting Marshall up for the success we had in the 90’s and would have been just as good if not better than Pruett, only he was hired away by UGA.

To a lesser degree, Sonny Randle helped set up Parrish and Parrish in turn left a stacked cupboard for Chaump.

Marshall has only had one bad coach since we resumed winning in 1985, which was of course, Tan Man. Excepting that idiot, each was great in his own era as we progressed through different levels of the sport, each (except for Coach Pruett, who was pushed out by Satan's Vile Servant, KO Marcum) left on his own terms for what was for each a better job (and none really were successful in their next stop, although JD was fired too quickly by UGa) . There is no need to build up one by putting down another.

And that includes our current, highly successful, coach, who, will probably retire from this job in a few years, leaving behind a program in good shape for the next man (something he was not handed by Tan Man) and plenty of success.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Not really. it goes back and forth just about every year and based on the ratings the MAC conference we played in during the Pruett days was about a FG weaker than the CUSA we have played in from 2013-2018. CUSA is actually getting stronger in football when you consider that the FL schools are no longer a joke and will be good teams because of coaching moves by those schools, and NT and UTSA continue to build in the West.

Reactions: ohio herd
So your point, is the exact point that my original post made......that you told me I was wrong about.....which was that both coaches won the majority of their games against teams with losing records? o_O

That would be your assessment, because you are the one with the opinion that Pruett won the majority of games against weak competition, but I certainly never said that about Pruett.

I would have to first agree with you in regards to your assumption about Pruett before I "proved your opinion."
o_O

That would be your assessment, because you are the one with the opinion that Pruett won the majority of games against weak competition, but I certainly never said that about Pruett.

I would have to first agree with you in regards to your assumption about Pruett before I "proved your opinion."
o_O

That was in reply to Zilla and his all over the place arguments.

However, that isn't an opinion. Pruett had 71 victories over FBS schools, 42 of them came against teams that finished with a losing record. So just like Doc, most of Pruett's wins in FBS came against teams with losing records.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Doc's best road win OOC probably still was at Louisville with Cato when we beat the Cards with Teddy Bridgewater and they finished near the top, IIRC, of the BCS Big East that season.

2017's win at Cincinnati of the AAC was probably next, and was maybe Litton's best overall performance at QB.

Note, I'm not including any of Doc's Bowl wins in this "analysis", just regular season games.

You mean the 1-10 gamecocks and the 6-6 tigers?
the same Clemson Tigers that lost to the national champion that year(FSU) by the same margin we did. That same year, where we went undefeated and ended up #10, we beat a ranked BYU team.

The program is stale now. Really one championship in 15 years in this league? That's pretty bad.

Wake me up when we start winning championships and don't keep finishing 2nd or 3rd in our division and we have a coach that wins about 60% of his games.

Stale, Stagnant, and Underachieving.

the same Clemson Tigers that lost to the national champion that year(FSU) by the same margin we did. That same year, where we went undefeated and ended up #10, we beat a ranked BYU team.

The program is stale now. Really one championship in 15 years in this league? That's pretty bad.

Wake me up when we start winning championships and don't keep finishing 2nd or 3rd in our division and we have a coach that wins about 60% of his games.

Stale, Stagnant, and Underachieving.
I’m not arguing the fact that we’ve plateaued only that the Clemson and usc wins aren’t really that great in the history of the program

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Is it possible this is because recruiting ranking systems are inherently flawed? I get the desire for Doc to produce. But let’s not act like it’s a unique situation to have the top ranked class in your conference and not win your conference.

Last 5 years (2014-2018):
ACC - 4/5 years FSU has had the top recruiting class. 1 conference championship.
Big 12 - 3/5 years Texas was top recruiting class. The 2 years they weren’t they were 2nd. 0 conference championships.
Big 10- 5/5 years OSU has top recruiting class. 3 conference championships in that time.
PAC 12 - 5/5 years USC had top recruiting class in conference. One championship in that time.
SEC- 4/5 years Alabama had top recruiting class in conference. 4 championships.

AAC - 2/5 years USF he top recruiting class (only team in that span to have multiple top recruiting classes) USF has 0 championships in that time.

C-USA 3/5 years Marshall has top recruiting class. 1 conference championship in that time.

Mac - 2/5 years Western Michigan and 2/5 years Toledo had top recruiting class. Each with one conference championship.

Mountain West- 5/5 years Boise State had top recruiting class. They have 2 conference championships.

Sun Belt- no one had more than one top recruiting class. Arkansas State wine 2 championships.

Unless you’re Alabama or OSU there is no or very little correlation between recruiting rankings and championships. Does that mean all of those coaches are bad? No. If you want to criticize Doc for only winning 1 championship that’s fine (I think it’s a little crazy) but fine. But don’t act like he’s the worst coach in America because he’s bringing in top recruiting classes and not winning championships. This happens in almost every conference in America. Recruiting services aren’t accurate.

Reactions: pdbailey

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT

Yeah all those bowl games we played in in the 90’s and early 2000s were huge deals. I remember they were nationally recognized as games probably bigger than the national championship!

But in all seriousness, If we aren’t playing in a conference championship every year we are failing?

Also... Danny better start getting some of the same anger from all of you who hate Doc. Because he’s been as underwhelming if not more so.

But in all seriousness, If we aren’t playing in a conference championship every year we are failing?
To this bunch, yes. They do not understand football nor CUSA and, a the same time, both expect to win every game, every year, and regard that as not an achievement.

They really should move on to pro wrestling, where the "good guys" always win. Marshall sports is not for them. Conference USA was built for football and no one will ever dominate it over multiple years.

Also... Danny better start getting some of the same anger from all of you who hate Doc. Because he’s been as underwhelming if not more so.

Save for 8 wonderful days, basketball has achieved exactly nothing for decades, under a long list of forgettable coaches, including the current leaderless, unprepared, and simply over their heads team. But basketball is held to a totally different standard, Even though there are plenty of automatic wins in this awful basketball conference, people accept the mediocre underachievement.

IMHO, much of it has to with where the two coaches went to college, and to the realistic narrative of recruiting players overlooked by the big teams and taking chances on people; versus the fantasy that you can assemble a basketball team by recruiting the WV SSAC tournament and be competitive in DI.

To this bunch, yes. They do not understand football nor CUSA and, a the same time, both expect to win every game, every year, and regard that as not an achievement.

They really should move on to pro wrestling, where the "good guys" always win. Marshall sports is not for them. Conference USA was built for football and no one will ever dominate it over multiple years.

Save for 8 wonderful days, basketball has achieved exactly nothing for decades, under a long list of forgettable coaches, including the current leaderless, unprepared, and simply over their heads team. But basketball is held to a totally different standard, Even though there are plenty of automatic wins in this awful basketball conference, people accept the mediocre underachievement.

IMHO, much of it has to with where the two coaches went to college, and to the realistic narrative of recruiting players overlooked by the big teams and taking chances on people; versus the fantasy that you can assemble a basketball team by recruiting the WV SSAC tournament and be competitive in DI.
Yehhh hawww second place, in a bad conference! THey have turned the football program at Marshall into a bastion of mediocrity. I guess they are happy with it. I guess the new school President things what we are doing is great since he came from Miss St. And, Hamrick is going to protect his guy, Doc. Well, he has to since he gave him all those contract extensions.

One championship in 15 years. Depressing.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
There are schools in P5 conferences that have not won a championship in the last 15 years and some that have never won one.

Reactions: pdbailey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT