ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA 0-2 in Bowls so far...

Embarrassing! When need to get out of CUSA! It’s doesn’t look good for us.

Wouldn't look so bad if we were dominating these teams.

But we lost to MTSU by three scores and UNT very well could have crushed us.

If we can't win this sad conference, I don't think we want anything to do with anywhere else.

Last edited:
Lol we already knew this conference was bad. Good thing doc preps well for bowls, we may be the only CUSA team that does. MT never preps well for bowls, history shows that and UNT, was just plain outclassed.

MTSU, winner of CUSA East and 2 point loser in conference championship game loses to Appy State 45-13. Ouch.

The Appy State score made the game seem closer than it was, to be honest.

Utah State is a great team this season but I thought UNT would give them a better game.

Reactions: 31Herd55
A little perspective needs to be added.

C-USA's #2 team was playing the Sun Belt's #1 team.
C-USA's #5 team was playing the MWC's #3 team.

When looking at bowl records for a conference, it's important to look at the actual matchups. If the #1 C-USA team beats the #8 Big 10 team, it doesn't mean C-USA is better.

Also, the North Texas game isn't quite what it appeared to be. First, UNT was playing without its 1000 yard receiver due to injury. Then, with the game tied 7-7, North Texas' starting QB was knocked out of the game with an injury.

Utah State is a better team, but when you play all game without your 1000 yard receiver and almost all game without your starting QB, you don't have a good chance.

C-USA's #2 team was playing the Sun Belt's #1 team.

True, but MTSU was the #2 due to a 2 point loss to # 1 UAB in the conference championship game. APSU beat all but two of their conference foes by less points than they beat MTSU, one of those 2 was a loss to Georgia Southern.

We should be happy with S Fla.At least we are playing someone we can compete with.

Also with the "perception" factor. After all, the Bulls are a vaunted member of the "Power 6", and in reality, mainly due to UCF, the AAC probably gets more media exposure, pub, air time, Sports Center and the like, than the rest of the G5 schools combined receive. In reality, USF, which at one time was ranked in the top 25, probably isn't as good as the 2 G5 teams, Appy and Utah State, that thumped CUSA foes yesterday. But they are a "Power 6" team, nevertheless.

No one will remember who lost what bowl. The main thing is that there are 8486959 bowl games and everyone gets extra practice

I agree, for the most part, but the #2 CUSA shoudn't be losing to the #1 SB by 30.

If I'm correct he went down in the 2nd when they were already down by 14.

Of course we should! Don't you remember? According everyone on here, "CUSA is the worst conference in America and in no way should any team from there, be able to compete with anyone else because everyone is terrible."

Reactions: The Real SamC
Of course we should! Don't you remember? According everyone on here, "CUSA is the worst conference in America and in no way should any team from there, be able to compete with anyone else because everyone is terrible."

Now do not go confusing the CUSA haters with facts and logic. Everybody knows CUSA is awful and the results of 2 minor bowl games prove their point. MU should win every game, every year, without really trying.

No need to wait out the whole bowl season, nor, even if it continues to go badly, remember that CUSA was 4-5 in bowls last year; 4-3 the year before; and won the "Capital One bowl conference championship" for having the best %age the year before that. No, just continue to trash CUSA and, in doing so, our team.

Go Herd.

Wouldn't look so bad if we were dominating these teams.

But we lost to MTSU by three scores and UNT very well could have crushed us.

If we can't win this sad conference, I don't think we want anything to do with anywhere else.
We lost 24-34 to MT so that is two possessions not three. Our other conference loss was by 2-pts on the road against a fairly talented but inconsistent S. Miss team. We did not reach our potential this year, should have at least played for the conference title at home, but we were far from a bad team.

Of course we should! Don't you remember? According everyone on here, "CUSA is the worst conference in America

Well, it is, if you're talking about FBS football.

Now do not go confusing the CUSA haters with facts and logic. Everybody knows CUSA is awful and the results of 2 minor bowl games prove their point. MU should win every game, every year, without really trying.

No need to wait out the whole bowl season, nor, even if it continues to go badly, remember that CUSA was 4-5 in bowls last year; 4-3 the year before; and won the "Capital One bowl conference championship" for having the best %age the year before that. No, just continue to trash CUSA and, in doing so, our team.

Go Herd.

That's not what everyone is saying. Further, read my previous post about why simply looking at bowl results is absurd, just like most of your posts.

Trying to rationalize that CUSA football is anything other than awful is kind of funny...

Lets pretend we live in a world where the results don't matter. All you have to do is watch the games, give it the old eye test. CUSA football is not good... I would contend that the overall talent level league-wide is the worst its been since Marshall came aboard.

Can it turn around over time? Sure, who knows what things may look like in 5 years. But right now, CUSA is a dumpster fire on the gridiron. Maybe no worse than the Sun Belt or MAC, but no better either.

We lost 24-34 to MT so that is two possessions not three. Our other conference loss was by 2-pts on the road against a fairly talented but inconsistent S. Miss team. We did not reach our potential this year, should have at least played for the conference title at home, but we were far from a bad team.
There you have it. Sanctification with mediocrity. This statement could have come right out of the Shewey Building.

Reactions: johns_1124
Trying to rationalize that CUSA football is anything other than awful is kind of funny...

Lets pretend we live in a world where the results don't matter. All you have to do is watch the games, give it the old eye test. CUSA football is not good... I would contend that the overall talent level league-wide is the worst its been since Marshall came aboard.

Can it turn around over time? Sure, who knows what things may look like in 5 years. But right now, CUSA is a dumpster fire on the gridiron. Maybe no worse than the Sun Belt or MAC, but no better either.
You could clearly see that with Appalachian St vs MTSU. MTSU was out manned. ASU had more speed and it was evident. Not even close.

. ASU had more speed and it was evident. Not even close.

I strongly urged a former Marshall coordinator to offer and go hard after App State's RB, Darrynton Evans. He used to work out on the beach with me, and I wanted the kid when he was a junior in high school before he had any offers and while I was at an FCS.

Marshall didn't want him.

He just rushed for 1200 yards, as a sophomore, for App State. He' also a stud kick returner averaging 33 yards per return and good for a kick return TD every year.

I strongly urged a former Marshall coordinator to offer and go hard after App State's RB, Darrynton Evans. He used to work out on the beach with me, and I wanted the kid when he was a junior in high school before he had any offers and while I was at an FCS.

Marshall didn't want him.

He just rushed for 1200 yards, as a sophomore, for App State. He' also a stud kick returner averaging 33 yards per return and good for a kick return TD every year.
Doesn't surprise me. That kid is a stud.

Is this kid planning on leaving Appy? I mean YAG said he was a soph. so I assume he is NOT going to be a Grad transfer candidate anytime soon. Seems a little strange trying to recruit a soph. player at another program UNLESS he has already indicated that he is going to transfer from Boone!!

Is this kid planning on leaving Appy? I mean YAG said he was a soph. so I assume he is NOT going to be a Grad transfer candidate anytime soon. Seems a little strange trying to recruit a soph. player at another program UNLESS he has already indicated that he is going to transfer from Boone!!

Grandpa, have somebody go back and read my post to you again.

Reactions: Elkview
Right now, App State is a better program than Marshall is.

For a group who claims 'the bowls are meaningless' and 'nobody watches them' you all sure seem to give them a lot of attention.

I think the prevailing thought around here is that the lesser bowls are all the same and thus no better or worse than their counterparts. Making a bowl game definitely matters.

I think the prevailing thought around here is that the lesser bowls are all the same and thus no better or worse than their counterparts. Making a bowl game definitely matters.
true. All CUSA bowls pay the same amount to EVERY CUSA member. The teams that actually play in the bowl get and extra share.

Grandpa, have somebody go back and read my post to you again.

Lighten up, Francis/YAGman. Misread your first sentence, that's it. So in your meteoric "rise" in the coaching ranks to the current NAIA?, Division 3?, exalted position you now hold, you finally pegged a recruit correctly.

No matter. The kid won't be a factor when the Herd and Apps meet again come 2021.

Lighten up, Francis/YAGman. Misread your first sentence, that's it. So in your meteoric "rise" in the coaching ranks to the current NAIA?, Division 3?,

So you misread something, made a dumb comment based on it, yet still came back to talk sh!t afterward? Your roommate at the nursing home should hold you more accountable.

I've only coached at the FBS and FCS levels. There are enough fans of mine disguised as stalkers on here who should be able to fill you in, so your D3/NAIA comments make you look as dumb as usual.

you finally pegged a recruit correctly.

Oh, I don't know about that. The first verbal I received was from the #1 JUCO DT in the country. I wasn't even an on-field coach, yet I was the lead recruiter on him because I was able to get him. He had offers from Baylor and Miami (the real one, not the little one in Ohio) yet committed to my Sun Belt school. Obviously, a Sun Belt getting the #1 JUCO DT is a big deal, especially when he had big offers. Then, I pegged his personality enough to talk our head coach into dropping him on his official visit. He was sent home on his very first evening on his official visit. He ended up signing with Baylor and never played for them (again, unheard of for the #1 JUCO DT, but I saw it coming).

The first QB I signed only had one other scholarship (FCS). He was a rookie in the CFL this year.

I led my next school's recruiting to a #8 national ranking . . . that was while not having the full allotment of FCS scholarships, playing our home games in a bad high school stadium (at the time), being located in a non-fertile recruiting region, and having an extremely high tuition and tough academic standards. One of my signees had legitimate offers from Nevada, New Mexico State, and North Texas. Another of my signees, a kid I brought from Florida, had legitimate offers from Southern Miss, Arkansas State, Idaho, FIU, and Ohio. Another had an offer from North Texas. Another of my signees had legit offers from Eastern Michigan and ULM. And those guys were all snagged after only recruiting them for about two months. Taking that many kids away from FBS schools resulted in the AD calling me into his office to make sure no violations were being committed under the guise of "congratulating" me. Another QB whom I went to watch a game of had a UTEP offer, and his mother pleaded with me to offer him since he would have rather played for me. I didn't think he was good enough. He has been on UTEP's roster for two years and hasn't sniffed the field. Another QB who was ready to commit to me if I had offered had a New Mexico State offer. I didn't think he was good enough. He hasn't sniffed the field at NMSU. The QB I did sign just finished in the top 12 in the country in FCS in passing yards per game, completion percentage, completions per game, and one other major stat . . . as a sophomore. Oh, and his parents donated $35 million for the new football stadium, so it was a successful scholarship. The other QB whom I recruited as a preferred walk-on just was the starting QB on the team that won the D3 national championship by beating Mount Union last week. After sending him a congratulations text, his response was "Thanks coach. Couldn't be here without you!" He had potential, clearly, and I was able to get him without a scholarship available.

At my next school, after only about two months there, we finished ranked 1st in our conference (FBS) in recruiting. At that same school for the next recruiting season, we were ranked #1 until I left . . . and a couple of weeks and a few decommits later, they dropped to #4 or #5 where they finished. That same school had two players message me today trying to get me back to coaching their position, and according to one of them, are getting a group of them to approach the new head coach telling him they want him to offer me.

So yeah, I think my ability to peg a recruit correctly has been pretty good. But thank you for talking sh!t and allowing me to boast.

No matter. The kid won't be a factor when the Herd and Apps meet again come 2021.

He could be if he gets injured and needs a redshirt. But him playing against Marshall isn't the discussion here, now is it? It's that he could have very easily been playing for Marshall.

Now, go have your apple sauce for your bedtime snack, and don't forget to take your teeth out!

olde - Rifle holds NO position in college football, at least not at present. He’s supposdley independently wealthy, but seems to have nothing better to do than beating up on fellow Herd fans on an internet message board. Don’t let that machismo fool you; his opinion + $5 bucks will buy him a Starbucks same as the rest of us mortals! But, all in all a harmless chap.

olde - Rifle holds NO position in college football, at least not at present. He’s supposdley independently wealthy, but seems to have nothing better to do than beating up on fellow Herd fans on an internet message board. Don’t let that machismo fool you; his opinion + $5 bucks will buy him a Starbucks same as the rest of us mortals! But, all in all a harmless chap.

Obviously unstable personality or some other mental issue as indicated by his self described inability to hold a job very long. Or perhaps checkerboard vocational history is a result of narcissistic tendencies to constantly be tooting his own horn on sites such as this. Too bad, really, as he probably does have the talent and ability to have an above average career as a head coach at a middle school or junior high school somewhere.

Obviously unstable personality or some other mental issue as indicated by his self described inability to hold a job very long. Or perhaps checkerboard vocational history is a result of narcissistic tendencies to constantly be tooting his own horn on sites such as this. Too bad, really, as he probably does have the talent and ability to have an above average career as a head coach at a middle school or junior high school somewhere.

I would advise all posters to get as far away as possible from this thread. There is a terrible storm a brewin'.

olde - Rifle holds NO position in college football, at least not at present.

This is one of those fans disguised as a stalker I was telling you about, grandpa. He isn't very good at his work, as he was one of those who claimed I wasn't coaching last year. But he frantically wears out my name in Google.

He’s supposdley independently wealthy,

I never said that. Again, why resort to lies? Not having to work again doesn't necessarily make one "wealthy" in my eyes . . . just far better off than you. Oh, and you should try that "s" word again.

but seems to have nothing better to do than beating up on fellow Herd fans on an internet message board.

I mean, I could sell insurance like you upChuck, but I'd rather take the time to make sure my front yard isn't a mud pit. You should try doing the same.

his opinion + $5 bucks .

$5 bucks? This is when you try too hard to be creative and witty with it always turning out shitty. It's either $5 or 5 bucks. "$5 bucks" is redundant.

Gramps, you can't even understand what your feeble mind is reading on here. You've shown that in this thread. Why would you continue to try and talk shit when it has blown up in your face time-and-time again?

At some point, you should take your cane, wobble down to the community room, and bore Janice with your stories while slurping up your tomato soup since your dentures don't allow you to eat anything of harder substance.

Oddly, none of you mediocre football program defenders have come up with a logical defense of the mediocrity of the football program.

Reactions: RhinoD
and that's what is so endearing about Rifle - his respect for fellow Herd fans. He never belittles anyone because of their age, is always considerate on here and shows great happiness after each Herd victory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT