ADVERTISEMENT

GREEN IS NOT THE ANSWER

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
SORRY, BUT HE DOES NOT HAVE IT.
I DIDNT THINK HE HAD IT LAST YEAR AND I DONT THINK HE HAS IT THIS YEAR.
AND I DONT THINK HE IS GOING TO HAVE IT NEXT YEAR.
DOES NOT HAVE THE FOCUS OR PRESENCE DOES NOT RALLY THE TEAM, NOT A GAMER.

Last edited:
Doesn’t matter how we feel this is a yearly occurrence under Doc. Sometime this week he’ll come out and talk about how Green is the man and the future. Green will look horrible against Cincinnati and “maybe” squeak a Half decent game against Ohio before looking elite against a sorry conference USA schedule.. rinse and repeat next year! That’s a quick sum up of the Holliday era

Reactions: mubaseballking
Doesn’t matter how we feel this is a yearly occurrence under Doc. Sometime this week he’ll come out and talk about how Green is the man and the future. Green will look horrible against Cincinnati and “maybe” squeak a Half decent game against Ohio before looking elite against a sorry conference USA schedule.. rinse and repeat next year! That’s a quick sum up of the Holliday era

@WVUtotheBig12 doc bashing! You calling him out as well?

We have had above average QB play in three of Doc's 10 years. One of those years was wasted by having the worst DC in college football. Doc's recruiting weakness seems to be recognizing talent at the QB position.

Cato is the only QB that would have had a shot at starting for any of the Pruett teams and that shot would have only been after Hill got injured.

Reactions: dherd and Chevy1
Don’t like calling out individual players, but there is just no sense of urgency, or even energy, in Green’s play - he doesn’t “play big” if that makes sense. He has a good arm, but needs to learn to kick it up a couple of levels to fulfill his potential and make this HIS team, imho. I think he can, and hope he will. Guess I am looking for him to develop a “command presence” on the field.

Boys, the OL lost this game. They got manhandled from mid Q2 on. No time for medium or long passing routes to develop and no lanes for the backs to run. IG three the one poor pass but and he still had two Boise guys breathing down on him.
He needs to improve but the OL is the reason we lost and the fact we played not to lose on offense in the second half.
The Boise staff made great adjustments at halftime. Our staff, not so much. Jmo

Boys, the OL lost this game. They got manhandled from mid Q2 on. No time for medium or long passing routes to develop and no lanes for the backs to run. IG three the one poor pass but and he still had two Boise guys breathing down on him.
He needs to improve but the OL is the reason we lost and the fact we played not to lose on offense in the second half.
The Boise staff made great adjustments at halftime. Our staff, not so much. Jmo
Which is the story of docs tenure

Did we run a QB or any other type draw? Seems their D line was getting to Green pretty regular...a draw can slow them down. IMO, they didn't defend Gains running that well....

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Green does not seem to bring any enthusiasm onto the field. He does not create any excitement. Hell let Xavier Gaines run the show. Not afraid to run/catch/pass and more of an overall athlete IMO.

Man, you guys are really harsh on QB’s. I’m not taking this out on Green at all. Our playcalling would not put any QB in a position to do anything substantive on offense. 3-yard screens every play.

Additionally, I love how everyone has amnesia about Cato. He got benched halfway through his freshman year (a move that, if I remember correctly, everyone liked). We didn’t make a bowl game his sophomore year. Only until his junior & senior year did he start really becoming a legendary QB. I bet if I looked back through this message board, I could find some pretty hilarious takes about him.

We have the best team we've had in 20 yrs.
Great team speed, very good defensive coordinator good offensive scheme, we would have won that game with a better QB.
QB is the only weak position. Give the others a shot. Someone may light a fire. Green will not.

Reactions: thunderscope
We have the best team we've had in 20 yrs.
Great team speed, very good defensive coordinator good offensive scheme, we would have won that game with a better QB.
QB is the only weak position. Give the others a shot. Someone may light a fire. Green will not.

Oh wow, you must be really stupid.

Green did not have a good second half... But as was pointed out above, our O-line was getting worked every play.

What has not been pointed out is how bad our receiver group is. Without Obialo (and Gammage for some reason) we have Gaines and a bunch of 5'9 slot guys with questionable hands. No seperation, no big play ability. Which is a big reason all the routes were 3-yard garbage to the boundary.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
"GREEN IS NOT THE ANSWER..."

Well, I think that depends on the question. Is he the reincarnation of Pennington/Leftwich/Cato? Is he an All-American QB? An All-CUSA QB? Is he an inspirational leader of the team, or even just the offense? He's still young, but the early call would be "no" to all.

But the more relevant question might be "DOES GREEN GIVE MARSHALL THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN THIS SEASON?" Maybe.

AT may have a stronger command of the offense. He definitely makes the zone read better but that bar is pretty low since Green is practically illiterate. But Thomson has been given plenty of opportunities to win the job and he didn't. X? The freshman? Gaines likely knows about five plays from the QB position. And Wells is an unknown. It's easy to call for someone who flashes some excitement or reportedly shows some potential in camp, but those moves rarely work well. The backup taking the starter's place works when the backup wins the position, not when the starter loses it.

I've not been one to sing his praises, but like it or not, Green may just be the answer...for now.

Man, you guys are really harsh on QB’s. I’m not taking this out on Green at all. Our playcalling would not put any QB in a position to do anything substantive on offense. 3-yard screens every play.

Additionally, I love how everyone has amnesia about Cato. He got benched halfway through his freshman year (a move that, if I remember correctly, everyone liked). We didn’t make a bowl game his sophomore year. Only until his junior & senior year did he start really becoming a legendary QB. I bet if I looked back through this message board, I could find some pretty hilarious takes about him.

What’s your excuse for the two touchdowns he missed because he under threw the ball by 10 yards? One ended in a pick and sealed the game for Boise.

O-Line wasn’t great. But even when they gave him time he didn’t deliver. That tells me, average QB play wins us that game.

Whose calling Doc to start AT?

Josh, can you post Docs number so these guys can give him a call?

Wait until next year....yep the story of marshall football

"GREEN IS NOT THE ANSWER..."

Well, I think that depends on the question. Is he the reincarnation of Pennington/Leftwich/Cato? Is he an All-American QB? An All-CUSA QB? Is he an inspirational leader of the team, or even just the offense? He's still young, but the early call would be "no" to all.

But the more relevant question might be "DOES GREEN GIVE MARSHALL THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN THIS SEASON?" Maybe.

AT may have a stronger command of the offense. He definitely makes the zone read better but that bar is pretty low since Green is practically illiterate. But Thomson has been given plenty of opportunities to win the job and he didn't. X? The freshman? Gaines likely knows about five plays from the QB position. And Wells is an unknown. It's easy to call for someone who flashes some excitement or reportedly shows some potential in camp, but those moves rarely work well. The backup taking the starter's place works when the backup wins the position, not when the starter loses it.

I've not been one to sing his praises, but like it or not, Green may just be the answer...for now.
If you are illiterate how do you run the read option?

Green is practically illiterate

Wait? What? He's practically illiterate. If you're going to charge that someone is illiterate please explain how you know that to be true. We can criticize play on the field, but let's not personally attack players.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
We need clarification. We have had players in sports at Marshall that actually can''t read or speak English.

Reactions: Elkview
Wait? What? He's practically illiterate. If you're going to charge that someone is illiterate please explain how you know that to be true. We can criticize play on the field, but let's not personally attack players.

Sorry. I thought the illiterate/zone-read inference was obvious. I agree with, and often defend, your last statement vehemently. My comment was meant to be critical of Green's ability to read the zone read, and that alone. Perhaps I was more cryptic than clever.

Reactions: HERDinAK
Sorry. I thought the illiterate/zone-read inference was obvious. I agree with, and often defend, your last statement vehemently. My comment was meant to be critical of Green's ability to read the zone read, and that alone. Perhaps I was more cryptic than clever.

No, you just caught Bleeds off guard. He had probably just finished arguing with the sunshine pumpers on the premium board that we are awful on offense right now.

Reactions: MUtim07
Bleeds use to be one of the biggest sunshine pumpers around, so at least that gives me hope that anyone can eventually see the real light.

Also, Judge, I thought your “reading” comment was very clever. You are the last one whom I would ever suspect of trying to attack a player personally. Everyone who follows the herd and IG has to see that he doesn’t like to run the football.

No troll. Where are you getting that? What has this roster of players accomplished anything to warrant that?

WE HAVE THE BEST TEAM WE'VE HAD SINCE PRUITT, FASTEST, DEEPEST, BEST DC & OC'S BEST BACKS
BEST RECEIVERS BEST OL WE ARE BETTER AT EVERY POSITION EXCEPT 1 QB IS ONLY AVERAGE AT BEST.

BOISE HAS A HELL OF A FOOTBALL TEAM - WE HELD THEM TO 14 AT THEIR PLACE AND COULD EASILY HAVE WON THE GAME.

WE HAVE A VERY GOOD TEAM WE JUST NEED TO GET BETTER AT QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT