ADVERTISEMENT

I hope early Bowl Projections are wrong.

johns1124

Gold Buffalo
Aug 13, 2004
All I see is a game in Dallas against some MAC team. Most Locals hate driving across town to see a MAC team, now they think they will drive 1000k Miles?

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ESPN's two analysts have...

Marshall playing Louisiana Lafayette in New Orleans
Marshall playing Wyoming in New Mexico

Seems from what I've been hearing/reading there is more buzz around New Orleans in the last week or so.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin

Seems from what I've been hearing/reading there is more buzz around New Orleans in the last week or so.
I like either of those two matchups. Would love to see us in the Big Easy

Reactions: Aaron Coleman
Only good part about Dallas is I will be in the area after Christmas. I would be able to attend. Would be my first Marshall Football game in over a decade. But I would not care for the MAC opponent, hopefully they will draw a better team.

If Appy lands in the New Orleans Bowl as the Sun Belt Champ, I can see CUSA sending either FAU or UAB to play them.

Northern Illinois only because I think they were ranked or had been and one of their player maybe QB or RB had gotten some decent national hype, but to be completely honest none of them.

If Appy lands in the New Orleans Bowl as the Sun Belt Champ, I can see CUSA sending either FAU or UAB to play them.

Agreed... If App wins, they go to New Orleans automatically and I don't think the bowl committee, ESPN or CUSA wants two teams 4 hours apart from the mountains playing each other in New Orleans. They will want a closer CUSA team (either the championship game loser or Southern Miss).

Let me take this in a different direction - which of the following teams were you most excited to see Marshall play?

2011 FIU
2013 Maryland
2014 Northern Illinois
2015 UConn
2017 Colorado State
2018 South Florida
Maryland

I like the chance to stick it to a big state school with the pedigree and snobbery. Outside of that I would like to whip the shit out of Notre Dame.

In 16 bowl appearances, Marshall has only faced two opponents that belong to the modern-day P5: Ole Miss (1997) and Maryland (2013).

Let me take this in a different direction - which of the following teams were you most excited to see Marshall play?

2011 FIU
2013 Maryland
2014 Northern Illinois
2015 UConn
2017 Colorado State
2018 South Florida

Maryland and Colorado State.

2011 FIU
2013 Maryland
2014 Northern Illinois
2015 UConn
2017 Colorado State
2018 South Florida

Maryland
USF
CSU
NIU
FIU
UCONN

Agreed... If App wins, they go to New Orleans automatically and I don't think the bowl committee, ESPN or CUSA wants two teams 4 hours apart from the mountains playing each other in New Orleans. They will want a closer CUSA team (either the championship game loser or Southern Miss).

Doesn't USM almost always go to New Orleans?

Like is projection from SI

Gasparilla Bowl, Tampa (2:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Conference USA vs. American
Marshall vs. Florida State

Hmmm...take advantage of a traditional powerhouse ACC team while they're down and totally beatable, all the while, earning some name recognition?

Nah, we will be better off playing the "I Can't Remember Any Details Bowl" in which we play a mid-level MAC Team. I can assure everyone, if those two options are on the table, John and Hamrick will go with the MAC team and not look back.

Reactions: johns1124
ESPN has new projections out...

Bonagura: Marshall vs. San Diego State in the New Mexico Bowl
Schlabach: Marshall vs. Western Michigan in First Responders Bowl

Here are some other prognostications I found this morning...

CBS: Marshall vs. SMU in the Frisco Bowl
Sports Illustrated: Marshall vs. Florida State in the Gasparilla Bowl
College Football News: Marshall vs. Western Michigan in the First Responders Bowl
247 Sports: Marshall vs. Kent State in the First Responders Bowl
Athlon Sports: Marshall vs. Miami (the real one, not Ohio) in the Independence Bowl

Geography plays a big role here. None of the Texas schools make a bowl, so that means somebody has to fill two games in Dallas, and the one in Albuquerque. I would think FAU would choose to play in the Gasparilla Bowl, rather than just playing a de facto home game, especially if it can get real Miami. That game has moved to the 65K seat Bucs stadium, so it has tickets to sell. No way all the Florida bowls let real Miami leave the state, Indy will be an 6-6 7-5 SEC team. I would think NO would want LTU or USM.

Geography plays a big role here. None of the Texas schools make a bowl, so that means somebody has to fill two games in Dallas, and the one in Albuquerque. I would think FAU would choose to play in the Gasparilla Bowl, rather than just playing a de facto home game, especially if it can get real Miami. That game has moved to the 65K seat Bucs stadium, so it has tickets to sell. No way all the Florida bowls let real Miami leave the state, Indy will be an 6-6 7-5 SEC team. I would think NO would want LTU or USM.

Several good points... Based on the projections I looked at, almost all of the predictors had the New Orleans Bowl being set up as a CUSA Champ vs. Sun Belt Champ game. All the picks were some combination of FAU/UAB and App State/Louisiana Lafayette.

The West only having three bowl eligible teams certainly does complicate things... I think Southern Miss probably draws the short straw and makes the longest westward trip to the New Mexico Bowl.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Hmmm...take advantage of a traditional powerhouse ACC team while they're down and totally beatable, all the while, earning some name recognition?

Nah, we will be better off playing the "I Can't Remember Any Details Bowl" in which we play a mid-level MAC Team. I can assure everyone, if those two options are on the table, John and Hamrick will go with the MAC team and not look back.
We’ve played one MAC team in a bowl game since Doc has been here and it was an eleven win conference champion

Reactions: The Real SamC
Another thing that may very well affect the bowl lineup is if FAU wins on Saturday and Lane Kiffin bolts for Ole Miss or Arkansas (who are apparently fighting over him).

If that happens, FAU may name an interim coach and take a close Florida bowl game with a beatable opponent... If FAU wins and Kiffin stays for the bowl game, I would assume he will choose whoever the highest ranked, highest profile option available is.

Also, as an aside, Sporting News has us playing Liberty in the Birmingham Bowl... There are 79 bowl eligible teams and 78 bowl slots. The Flames are hoping that they aren't the only kid not invited to the dance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT