ADVERTISEMENT

I'm hearing resolution is near

idiot, i knew the answer, just as GK summed it up. rhetorical.

it'd pay you to wait prior to posting sometimes to avoid proving yourself the idiot we thought you to be. and, if you think this "special panel" which the governor referred to as a task force is sitting well with the teachers (obviously, you did or you wouldn't have stated it like it was some monumental step in the right direction, which it's not), it proves how out of touch you really are with this whole thing.

I never said it was a "monumental step in the right direction." That is not the same thing as what you insinuated, that nothing was being done and the teachers' logic was flawed.

You are desperate....and dumb.

WTF? are you really this stupid? LOL!
It is my understanding (at least for the area that I am in - Cabell, Wayne, Lincoln, Putnam) that all the built in days have been used for weather. So, the work stopage days are just being added to the end of the calendar. I guess you could look at it one of two ways....the teachers are getting paid on their current paychecks for the days they decided not to work, but they will not be getting paid for the extra days at the end of the year OR they aren't getting paid now but will be paid for the days at the end of the year. Either way, they only get paid for 180 instructional days....

I'm sitting in the senate gallery and no teacher issues have been discussed. The house tried to amend the 2-1-1-1 bill in order to put to vote, but Justice hasn't sent them a budget so their hands are tied. Again...a real sh** show.

My daughter just texted me and said the mood outside the chambers is getting real ugly. I'll be out there as soon as the session goes in recess.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I'm sitting in the senate gallery and no teacher issues have been discussed. The house tried to amend the 2-1-1-1 bill in order to put to vote, but Justice hasn't sent them a budget so their hands are tied. Again...a real sh** show.

My daughter just texted me and said the mood outside the chambers is getting real ugly. I'll be out there as soon as the session goes in recess.
GK, is my post above regarding the pay situation correct?

GK, is my post above regarding the pay situation correct?

To the best of my knowledge that's accurate. The school year in Lincoln runs until June 1st, but the county can take the year through the 19th if necessary. So after the OS days are used, there's the built in days at the end that can be used. Bottom line...if they close schools and we're required to work, we'll get paid. They couldn't legally require us to make it up and not do so.

Look back through the thread. GK has explained it numerous times. You are really having a very bad day.
ahhh, so you don't have a clue other than what you've read here. let me educate you . . . and GK, for that matter: currently, county's have called school off for five days, all of which theoretically will be made up at the end of the year, just as GK has indicated. keys words in the last sentence: "county's have called school off". if this was a strike, no bueno. however, there's been a bill (SB 573) introduced that would actually not require them to make these days up.

@herdfella, you are correct providing SB573 doesn't fly with exception of the 180 day comment, which is both true, but deceptive. yes, they get paid for 180 instructional days (because 180 instructional days is all that's built into a school calendar); however, teachers are paid at minimum a 200 day contract for the most part, with some receiving more days in their contract, i.e. 205, 210, 220, 230, 240, 261 days contracts, for performing additional duties.

To the best of my knowledge that's accurate. The school year in Lincoln runs until June 1st, but the county can take the year through the 19th if necessary. So after the OS days are used, there's the built in days at the end that can be used. Bottom line...if they close schools and we're required to work, we'll get paid. They couldn't legally require us to make it up and not do so.
So, in essence, you all just took a 5 day weekend? Because you technically will not be getting paid for days that you were not it in the classroom. All of the OS days were already used prior to this. Even though your check will be unchanged this time, you won't be receiving an additional check with the days that have been added to the calendar at the end of the year - those days are compensated for now.

Teachers are 200 day employees and the students instructional days are 180 as indicated above.

So, in essence, you all just took a 5 day weekend? Because you technically will not be getting paid for days that you were not it in the classroom. All of the OS days were already used prior to this. Even though your check will be unchanged this time, you won't be receiving an additional check with the days that have been added to the calendar at the end of the year - those days are compensated for now.

Correct. We will get paid for the days we work. We will not get paid for days we don't work and are not made up. As of now, other than changing the instructional calandar and inconveniencing an early June vacation, the kids haven't been shortchanged days.

Aren't there federal mandates that kids have to be in the classroom 180 days?

Aren't there federal mandates that kids have to be in the classroom 180 days?
not that i'm aware of. and, the WV legislature didn't make it a mandate until just a couple year ago. up until then, it was against state code for children to be in school after a certain date in june. so, if there was a snowmageddon on any given year and a pile of days were missed, students might only get 170, 175, 178 days in school. county i live in historically made teachers show up and work their 200 days, though, to fulfill their contract.

now, it's a 180 day mandate by the WV legislature, the june whatever date was removed from code, and students can be in school through June 30 if that's what it takes.

not that i'm aware of. and, the WV legislature didn't make it a mandate until just a couple year ago. up until then, it was against state code for children to be in school after a certain date in june. so, if there was a snowmageddon on any given year and a pile of days were missed, students might only get 170, 175, 178 days in school. our county always made teachers show up and work their 200 days, though.

now, it's a 180 day mandate by the WV legislature, the june whatever date was removed from code, and students can be in school through June 30 if that's what it takes.
I know our schools are 180 mandatory. I thought that had to do with federal funding. I could be wrong.

ahhh, so you don't have a clue other than what you've read here. let me educate you . . . and GK, for that matter: currently, county's have called school off for five days, all of which theoretically will be made up at the end of the year, just as GK has indicated. keys words in the last sentence: "county's have called school off". if this was a strike, no bueno. however, there's been a bill (SB 573) introduced that would actually not require them to make these days up.

LOL!

Don't ever pretend to educate anyone.

LOL!

Don't ever pretend to educate anyone.
you've posted no fewer than 1/2 a dozen times ITT and have yet to add anything of substance. but, just think, school should be back in session tomorrow and you'll get to eat more chalk and erasers in your special ed class. don't forget to lick the window clean.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
I'm sure this will please the teachers. Here's our finest, State Senator Lynn Arvon hard art work today.

28277332_10103064926135673_8002757425344089681_n.jpg

Catholics, Bible Thumpers, bigots who don't want their precious white babies around black kids (often Bible Thumping is their excuse), rich people that don't want their precious rich kids around the poors....that about covers it.
Painting with a broad brush?

Catholics, Bible Thumpers, bigots who don't want their precious white babies around black kids (often Bible Thumping is their excuse), rich people that don't want their precious rich kids around the poors....that about covers it.

There's a little more to it than that.

My wife worked non profit in some of the worst public schools in the city a half dozen years ago. Many are complete disasters. Many parents don't want their kids in that particular type of school environment and choose to send them to an alternate public school or a private school to get away from said disasters. One of my favorite charities we've ever given to is a Catholic School (I'm not Catholic) that takes on a TON of poor black kids as "scholarship" cases to get them out of the ghetto public school into their school.

There was a really good local Ted Talk in the area from a person I respect though is clearly very left of what I am. She said, in summary, I am willing to do anything and pay any tax to improve our cities public schools, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my kids future by sending them there.

It's not always a racist thing, it's a this place is hopeless thing and we have no choice but to figure out a way to get our kid out of this awful public school. obviously, typically only people with means can do this and there are inherrent inequities...but it's not just racists or Bible thumpers...see the Wire, season 4.

@GK4Herd i'm hearing they're no longer 55 strong. some going back to school tomorrow, some not.

I think there are some counties that already said they're closing. A few are not. Most are waiting for it to get out of finance and brought to the house this evening. I think the union reps are trying to convince everyone to have faith. Most are waiting for this evening. My county took a vote and were unanimous to remain out if nothing gets done.

So hopefully it comes to resolution and we're back in school tomorrow.

From what hear, Mitch Carmichael is saying he has 20 votes against pay raise in senate. That would kill it. So we'll see where this goes.

Carmichael said early on that he thought up to 20 could be against it, but he wanted to caucus to see where people stood.

He came back from caucus to say he couldn't guarantee passage but thought that it would.

People not even trying to be fair right now.

Edited to eat crow: Hoppy misquoted him and is now saying he expects it not to pass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT