ADVERTISEMENT

impressive number of quakes off PNW coast

Hopefully, California, Oregon, and Washington fall in the ocean.
stephen-colbert-report.gif

are they the only blue state? If California became an independent country it would implode.
We are not talking about all blue states. CA's agricultural production is huge. The midwest would get tired of eating beef and corn and want some veggies, I imagine...that would be the end of your boycott.

As for the last sentence...😂 There are very few states that would thrive as an independent country, but CA would. As would Texas and probably NY. FL maybe, but it is facing tremendous issues from climate change and is going to need serious cash in the future.

We are not talking about all blue states. CA's agricultural production is huge. The midwest would get tired of eating beef and corn and want some veggies, I imagine...that would be the end of your boycott.

As for the last sentence...😂 There are very few states that would thrive as an independent country, but CA would. As would Texas and probably NY. FL maybe, but it is facing tremendous issues from climate change and is going to need serious cash in the future.
Tremendous issues from Climate Change, hahahaa.

But, seriously. The Blue States could not. They would implode on their own virtue signaling ignorance. I would say Texas would be the best shot. But the football schedules would get tough on everybody.

If WV decided to go it alone, it would be very tempting to go back and go down with that ship. There's enough coal to keep warm. Would probably be able to starve fairly well. Food would be tough there. Bad soil and nowhere good to raise much livestock. People do it down there, but not well.

We could make it. Plenty of natural resources. Coal, gas, wood. Game, gardens, and livestock for food. My area even has large commercial turkey farms.
We probably have a good percentage of the country’s opioids so if we get too depressed, that will be taken care of.
We could even hunt down all those newcomers that moved here from the northeast. Turn them into indentured servants and make them do all the hard work.

When will people take climate change seriously. Electric cars would solve this.
I was just in D.C. Seeing the amount of auto traffic going into and out of the city makes me wonder how we can ever expect to charge all of those vehicles. (I see charging "pumps" at Sheetz but nowhere else) And that was just one route into one city. And I saw notices on the beltway that you could travel in high occupancy, high speed lanes for up to $34.00 for 1-time access, depending on time of day and traffic.

Tremendous issues from Climate Change, hahahaa.
Doesn't matter what you think, or even if man is the cause or not, shit is changing. Look at what Miami-Dade is already spending on tidal flooding. $$$$$$.

It's funny watching you wing nuts present your different thoughts on this:

It is all a lie, the entire world is in a giant conspiracy to make up the same stuff.
God is in control, not man, God won't change it too much.
It's natural, not man made. Stuff changes all the time!
Man is too puny to effect the Earth (usually said while approving of environmental disasters and wholesale pollution).

It is all a lie, the entire world is in a giant conspiracy to make up the same stuff.

It's to make up whatever it takes to ensure that the welfare state gets as big as it can get. Welfare state of helplessness, holding back, not really making life all that great, all in the name of saving it. Apparently for someone else.

Whether it's this hoax or the bird flu one, there will always be something. Guess I can take solace in knowing I'm not the only one who wants to give up, but this is weak then.

Hell, if people want to really give up and save everything, why not euthanasia?

I'd probably become a full blown liberal if I thought it could get that for us.

I have to admit, I'm afraid of screwing it up myself. I'd be so damn shaky that I'd fire the gun wrong and take off a foot or something. Pills, I'd probably spit half of them out by accident.

I'm stuck in this thing until I get my cancer more than likely, but global warming and the fake bird flu are all to keep everybody on food stamps. I admit I lost. Food stamps win. Even Republicans end up getting in there and being all about them.

Conservatism is faker than the fake bird flu. What's real is making up fake stuff to pass out food stamps for.

Doesn't matter what you think, or even if man is the cause or not, shit is changing. Look at what Miami-Dade is already spending on tidal flooding. $$$$$$.

It's funny watching you wing nuts present your different thoughts on this:

God is in control, not man, God won't change it too much.
It's natural, not man made. Stuff changes all the time!
Man is too puny to effect the Earth (usually said while approving of environmental disasters and wholesale pollution).
Ok, #1 if Florida and other areas are in grave danger from CLimate change why are companies and people still investing and going there? Cmmmon man

It's not for our lifetime though so the homes will be fine.

This is for future generations. Other people we will never know and see, just like the ones they made up on TV dying of this fake cold.

I was just in D.C. Seeing the amount of auto traffic going into and out of the city makes me wonder how we can ever expect to charge all of those vehicles. (I see charging "pumps" at Sheetz but nowhere else) And that was just one route into one city. And I saw notices on the beltway that you could travel in high occupancy, high speed lanes for up to $34.00 for 1-time access, depending on time of day and traffic.
The nice thing about EVs is that you can charge them at home, as long as you have a place to do it. I’ve had mine close to a year now and the only time I’ve ever charged outside my home was the day I bought it. Most people’s daily driving can be handled with home charging.

But you have to be able to charge in your home, which you can’t in most apartments. So EVs definitely aren’t for everybody. Yet. But you’ll never need as many EV charging stations as you currently need gas pumps, because most charging will happens at home or work.

So save the Earth by using batteries.

1)Is that not just out of sight and out of mind? The earth's resources will have to be mined which means environmental concerns. Correct?

2)It means child and slave like labor will be used to do it

3)What do you do with all those old batteries when they go bad?

4)Aren't you just adding cost and expense to lower incomes?

5)Are we going to become more reliable on the Chinese?

6)Is mining those resources using a finite resource? Like coal?

7)Are you going to have charging stations all along the interstates?

The nice thing about EVs is that you can charge them at home

I have always been curious about the safety factor when plugging in an EV. Can you plug one in when it is raining or snowing? What keeps you from electrocution in wet weather?

I have always been curious about the safety factor when plugging in an EV. Can you plug one in when it is raining or snowing? What keeps you from electrocution in wet weather?
We will all have to have a 220v outlet wired would be my guess and there will be codes and all that mess with it. 110 takes to long from what I am told.

1)Is that not just out of sight and out of mind? The earth's resources will have to be mined which means environmental concerns. Correct?

1) There are environmental concerns with all consumption. They’re less with EVs than gas powered cars. But they exist, yeah.
2) As opposed to?
3) Battery recycling tech is starting to take off. Even if it never does, you’re again holding EVs up against perfection as a comparison, instead of what they’d be replacing. ICEs create plenty of waste as well, from motor oil to the gas that gets burnt to the parts of the car that can’t be recycled.
4) This is complicated. The price to produce an EV is dropping, but is still considerably higher than an ICE. Battery prices have fallen pretty substantially but it’s hard to project out technological advances and say “in year 20XX it’ll cost the same to make an EV.” On the up side, EVs require much less maintenance than ICEs, so the cost of ownership is lower.
5) Not sure why EVs would make us more reliant on them. We can get the lithium from Australia.
6) Yes, for sure. But it can largely be recycled, and we’re getting better at recycling. And it’s no different than an ICE.
7) Yes, you’d have to. Again, demand for charging stations will never be close to demand for gas stations, since most people will charge at home, but you’ll need charging stations.

We will all have to have a 220v outlet wired would be my guess and there will be codes and all that mess with it.
In CA you already have to have a 220 in new construction! My place doesn’t have that though, but I get by fine on 120V, even setting it just to charge at night when electricity is cheaper.

To answer Geezer, the chargers are insulated. And they’re insulated about a thousand times better than most of the Christmas lights I see outside, and I don’t see anybody worrying about those killing us all.

Shhhh, you're not supposed to be asking those types of questions...

Shhhh, you're not supposed to be asking those types of questions...
No they’re great questions and I’ve got no problem admitting the issues that EVs create. But they’ve got to be compared to the ICEs they’re replacing, not to some imaginary perfect transportation device.

No they’re great questions and I’ve got no problem admitting the issues that EVs create. But they’ve got to be compared to the ICEs they’re replacing, not to some imaginary perfect transportation device.

And you did answer them and did a pretty good job in doing so. However the inverse is also being done with regard to EVs which is what I was referring to. We have all witnessed the hype, particularly that Tesla will revolutionize the industry and the world. There are just some hard questions that need to be answered before EVs can rule the world, or at least the highways.

Are you sure Australia can supply the lithium for the EV revolution? What about our aging utility infrastructure? Can it handle the additional demands from BEVs? Many more questions along these lines.

To answer Geezer, the chargers are insulated. And they’re insulated about a thousand times better than most of the Christmas lights I see outside, and I don’t see anybody worrying about those killing us all.

High voltage in anything is dangerous and should not be confused with Christmas tree lights. Battery fires, when charging and in accidents, are a real concern with EVs. Just Google to see.

Also check out the concerns and precautions for service and body technicians.

However for every day driving and charging, even in inclement weather, these shouldn't pose widespread risks.

High voltage in anything is dangerous and should not be confused with Christmas tree lights. Battery fires, when charging and in accidents, are a real concern with EVs. Just Google to see.

Also check out the concerns and precautions for service and body technicians.

However for every day driving and charging, even in inclement weather, these shouldn't pose widespread risks.
The fire issues haven’t really been charging related, but are related to flaws in the battery manufacturing. And yes, there are a lot more electrons moving through the system than in Christmas lights. But, again, we need to compare this to our current reality, which is a bunch of cars carrying around a flammable liquid connected to a system that runs by igniting that liquid.

That’s not at all a reason to ignore safety concerns with EVs or not to improve them. The article you linked seems to be pretty basic when it comes to safety precautions but yeah, they definitely need to be understood before someone is working on a car. But the fact that they compare favorably to the existing situation is a good reason not to throw out EVs just because they’re not perfect.

Are you sure Australia can supply the lithium for the EV revolution? What about our aging utility infrastructure? Can it handle the additional demands from BEVs? Many more questions along these lines.
The biggest problem with lithium right now isn’t that we don’t have enough, but that we won’t be able to extract it quick enough. That should drive up prices, which should increase what reserves are considered mineable, but that’s a bumpy road.

You bring up a good point on our electrical infrastructure. We will need more. We should be building nuclear plants right now.

But, again, we need to compare this to our current reality, which is a bunch of cars carrying around a flammable liquid connected to a system that runs by igniting that liquid.

But how many of these cars carrying around a flammable liquid self ignite while at rest???

The article you linked seems to be pretty basic when it comes to safety precautions but yeah, they definitely need to be understood before someone is working on a car.

I will venture to say I am one of the few on this board who has taken various EV training sessions including real world driving experiences and service precautions. My point was a person doesn't need to remove all jewelry, don protective (and expensive) gloves and face shields before working on Christmas tree lights or virtually any household electrical issues.

But the fact that they compare favorably to the existing situation is a good reason not to throw out EVs just because they’re not perfect.

And again the inverse of this is true...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT