ADVERTISEMENT

Is Marshall a bad football team?

Is the 2023 edition of Marshall’s football team “bad”?

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
4-0
1-0 in Sun Belt East
Current starting QB is 10-1 since assuming role
If I have read this board correctly, there will only be 1 Yes vote….

Reactions: goherd73
Surprise the poll was not…. “Is Marshall a Good football team?”

4-0
1-0 in Sun Belt East
Current starting QB is 10-1 since assuming role
If I have read this board correctly, there will only be 1 Yes vote….
8 regular season games left. Probably win 5 of those. So, 9-3. Sun Belt championship game? I'm not sure, but probably not. Win over a MAC or CUSA team in the bowl game? Definitely yes. Thus, my prediction, 10-3. Not too shabby.

Past 10 yrs would include the 2014 n 2015 teams, correct?
( a decade is 10 yrs)

Hopefully this post was created in the first quarter of the game? Otherwise, don't even understand why you'd ask. Best team in Marshall's past decade.

Our defense is not as good as last year. Our offense has shown more explosiveness, but less consistency (we are almost the worst in the nation in 3rd down conversion percentage). I’m not willing to say we are better than last year, let alone best in a decade. Certainly not better than 2014.

Reactions: GeauxHerd
The inconsistency does drive me crazy. Where is the offense that scored 21 points easily in the 3rd qtr? Where did it go when we should have put the game away in the 4th? Who is making the call to go into loss prevention mode?

We attempted to go into "run the clock" mode with 10 minutes to go in the game, when the run game had been taken away. The Dfense was not playing up to their standard and only being up 10, we needed to continue doing what got us the 21 and not take our foot off the gas. Let Cam use his legs if necessary. Again, there are going to be games when certain components of your game plan dont work and need to be changed. It was one of those days when Ali was probably going to be a non-factor running. It happens. The right adjustments were made offensively to score by spreading the ball around to various receivers and letting Cam use his legs....we didn't need to stop our tempo and rhythm and go back to vanilla play calling.

We're not bad because we beat bad teams. So at least we can do that. However we really haven't beaten any good teams either.

Albany - Needed a come from behind win to beat an FCS team that handled us for most of the game.

ECU - bad team with horrible QB play that pur depth won out in the end.

VT - Yes they're a P5, but this is the worst team they've had in decades and we could never close the door on them.

ODU - Another bad team with QB issues that we were locked in a knock down drag out brawl with and could never put away even though we had opportunities to.

We don't suck, but we can’t say were all that good either. This next stretch of games is going to tell us a lot about where we really are as a team.

- Almost beaten by a I-AA at home.
- Beat a really bad ECU team that is currently 1-4, only win vs. I-AA Gardner-Webb.
- Squeaked by a bad VPI team that is currently 2-3, beating ODU (more about them later), and a really bad Pitt team, losing to Big 10 doormats Rutgers and Purdue.
- Squeaked by a bad ODU team that is 2-3, one of those wins being by one point at home to a I-AA team that was DII last year.

All the while looking bad. Inconsistent. No imagination. No effort. No passion.

This team looks to go 6-6 or so, but really would have been something like 4-8 if not for VPI and ECU having their worst teams in decades.

The inconsistency does drive me crazy. Where is the offense that scored 21 points easily in the 3rd qtr? Where did it go when we should have put the game away in the 4th? Who is making the call to go into loss prevention mode?

We attempted to go into "run the clock" mode with 10 minutes to go in the game, when the run game had been taken away. The Dfense was not playing up to their standard and only being up 10, we needed to continue doing what got us the 21 and not take our foot off the gas. Let Cam use his legs if necessary. Again, there are going to be games when certain components of your game plan dont work and need to be changed. It was one of those days when Ali was probably going to be a non-factor running. It happens. The right adjustments were made offensively to score by spreading the ball around to various receivers and letting Cam use his legs....we didn't need to stop our tempo and rhythm and go back to vanilla play calling.
I pointed out the defensive game plan in another thread... Its like our coaches come up with a plan on Tuesday and refuse to adjust during the game. The plan was terrible for Albany and ODU, it was great against ECU and VT.

After you've given up two 60+ yard TD runs up the middle, while playing two-deep nickel defense with six guys in the box, change it up. We stayed in the same defense all game despite ODU having almost no success throwing, especially deep, and allowed a backup walk-on QB and a backup running back to torch us on the ground.

Getting tight and playing conservative in with a two score lead is just who Huff is apparently. He's done it every game we have had such a lead since he's been here. It's worked for him the last two games, so I'm sure we are going to continue to see that philosophy play out - weather we like it as fans or not.

Reactions: Herdguy04
I pointed out the defensive game plan in another thread... Its like our coaches come up with a plan on Tuesday and refuse to adjust during the game. The plan was terrible for Albany and ODU, it was great against ECU and VT.

After you've given up two 60+ yard TD runs up the middle, while playing two-deep nickel defense with six guys in the box, change it up. We stayed in the same defense all game despite ODU having almost no success throwing, especially deep, and allowed a backup walk-on QB and a backup running back to torch us on the ground.

Getting tight and playing conservative in with a two score lead is just who Huff is apparently. He's done it every game we have had such a lead since he's been here. It's worked for him the last two games, so I'm sure we are going to continue to see that philosophy play out - weather we like it as fans or not.
I saw some adjustments on defense....but we missed a lot of tackles along the line of scrimmage that needed made after those adjustments. A couple of times they also caught is in a man to man defense (in the secondary). The D line and linebackers have to make plays in that alignment because DBs have an assignment and most likely have their backs turned running with receivers. Instead those 6 players got caught up- blocked inside and the RB broke loose.

No doubt we got exposed on this, and I expect NC ST to come out and use it. Not a fan of sitting on SMALL leads at all. Especially with so much time left in the game. It's my biggest frustration with coaching staff when your offense seems to find their rhythm, the play calling kills it.

BS, all gas and no breaks. Teams don’t want to schedule us! 🤣🤣

BS, all gas and no breaks. Teams don’t want to schedule us! 🤣🤣
Sometimes I believe he said that before he realized that G5 schools aren't filled to the brim with 4 and 5 star players. Coaching at P5 schools for so long will spoil ya haha.

Reactions: Jartard
Interesting. That's exactly what was said on this board prior to ECU and VT as well, when many predicted we would lose those games.
I'm not predicting losses, but I'm not going to be overly confident at this point either. I said early ECU would tell us if we could be competitive this season and we hung in there and prevailed. I will say one thing that is evident about us. We never give up. There have been several times to fold or get tight and our guys keep swinging.

That being said we have played four bad teams with bad QBs. Now we play NCST (although they will have a new QB and down their best WR), GaState, JMU, Coastal, and Appy with only one of those game (JMU) coming at home and that one is on a short week. This stretch of games is going to tell us if we are a championship caliber team or not.

Sometimes I believe he said that before he realized that G5 schools aren't filled to the brim with 4 and 5 star players. Coaching at P5 schools for so long will spoil ya haha.
Eh maybe, but he laid the wood to NAVY non-stop and then didn't do it again. Just these last couple games we've had momentum and opportunities and Huff has decided to sit on narrow leads.

Eh maybe, but he laid the wood to NAVY non-stop and then didn't do it again. Just these last couple games we've had momentum and opportunities and Huff has decided to sit on narrow leads.
No doubt. My comment was just me poking fun. Not to be taken too serious.

First, Sammy, you don’t get an opinion. We already have 3 more wins than you said we would have after week 1.

We have the talent to go 12-0. We have the execution to go anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3. The beauty is there’s nothing wrong with us that we can’t control.

Agree. The playing not to lose is the most concerning thing to me as well.
Doc was well known for that, seems like Huff is in the same mode; or is it on Trickett?
Keep the flow going and keep the foot on the gas. Jmo.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
The ECU game at home is where it changed. He has PTSD from them coming back from 3 scores down in the 4th. We kept our foot on the gas but had a fumble and turnover on downs in the red zone and the quick drives gave them time. He’ll eventually find a middle ground, but I doubt he’ll stop parking the offense to melt clock until it stops working.

- Beat a really bad ECU team that is currently 1-4, only win vs. I-AA Gardner-Webb.
- Squeaked by a bad VPI team that is currently 2-3, beating ODU (more about them later), and a really bad Pitt team, losing to Big 10 doormats Rutgers and Purdue.
- Squeaked by a bad ODU team that is 2-3, one of those wins being by one point at home to a I-AA team that was DII last year.

This team looks to go 6-6 or so, but really would have been something like 4-8 if not for VPI and ECU having their worst teams in decades.

More ignorance. Keep up the great work Samuel

david schwimmer middle finger GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT