ADVERTISEMENT

Running Backs??

Nov 29, 2011
What has happened to Turner this year has he seen the field? The guy showed us last year what he could do in games. Plus where is Jones? Another RB that hasn't seen the field. Maybe it's a good thing they aren't playing with the lack of run blocking we have seen.

What has happened to Turner this year has he seen the field? The guy showed us last year what he could do in games. Plus where is Jones? Another RB that hasn't seen the field. Maybe it's a good thing they aren't playing with the lack of run blocking we have seen.
Maybe they are redshirting.

We need third and fourth string RBs who participate in actual games. Huff is supposed to be an ace RB coach from Alabama. Where is the depth? These guys should be getting a few carries here and there.

Reactions: Elkview and herd66
We need third and fourth string RBs who participate in actual games. Huff is supposed to be an ace RB coach from Alabama. Where is the depth? These guys should be getting a few carries here and there.
With the exception of this past week when would you have liked to have seen that.

Late in one score games against Albany and VT and oDU when we needed to hold on to the ball?

At nc state or ga state when we were trying to come back? And needed everyone one of Ali’s touches

I mean I can’t imagine what you guys would be saying about Huff if he out Jones in and he fumbled.

Actually I do know what you would have said as we have lived it about Tron for 13 years.

With the exception of this past week when would you have liked to have seen that.

Late in one score games against Albany and VT and oDU when we needed to hold on to the ball?

At nc state or ga state when we were trying to come back? And needed everyone one of Ali’s touches

I mean I can’t imagine what you guys would be saying about Huff if he out Jones in and he fumbled.

Actually I do know what you would have said as we have lived it about Tron for 13 years.
Tron never should have been on the team let alone in a game
Huff job is to get somebody ready. He failed that

Ali has never taken every carry in a game. Laborn never took every carry in a game. Payne took every RB carry on Thursday. If a RB is designed to take every carry, why does Ali ever leave the field when healthy?

Huff said he was a horrible coach. He didn’t use those exact words, his was more like “we didn’t have a back up QB prepared to play”. Different words, but the same meaning. When you have an already injured QB, and you consider about 20 QBs a week miss at least some snaps due to getting tweaked during a game, saying you don’t have another ready is admitting that you don’t do your job.

Not having a second back is the same thing.

Ali has never taken every carry in a game. Laborn never took every carry in a game. Payne took every RB carry on Thursday. If a RB is designed to take every carry, why does Ali ever leave the field when healthy?

Huff said he was a horrible coach. He didn’t use those exact words, his was more like “we didn’t have a back up QB prepared to play”. Different words, but the same meaning. When you have an already injured QB, and you consider about 20 QBs a week miss at least some snaps due to getting tweaked during a game, saying you don’t have another ready is admitting that you don’t do your job.

Not having a second back is the same thing.

The poster said the third and 4th string running backs need reps. Not the second back.

Bill Legg use to run for 3 yards on first down, pass for -3 on second down, then throw for 1 yard shy of the line to gain on 3rd down before punting…

Trick Daddy mixes it up big time, Throws for -1 yard on 1st, runs for 3.5 yards on 2nd then throws a 20 yards sideline fly route before punting.. sometime we pick incomplete passes or sacks on 2nd and 3rd just to keep the defense guessing…

Yeah and RB1 hurt then the third and fourth string backs need carries. What would have happened if Payne got hurt? Oh well we will go 5 wide since we didn’t prep anymore backs for the week
I like this option… 5 wides means just throw it anywhere and might be someone around to catch it… could work 🧐

Has there ever been a season in Marshall football history where only two RB's took 100% of the carries? This season may be the first. Not prepared? This isn't midget league. LOL!

Reactions: Elkview
Has there ever been a season in Marshall football history where only two RB's took 100% of the carries? This season may be the first. Not prepared? This isn't midget league. LOL!
Butchie Wallace and Earl Charles maybe? Who backed up Ahmad?

In 2005 Ahmad had 214 carries, Chubb Small had 58 carries, and Paco Jones had 1 carry.

I don't think it's been until recent history that we started to see more than two backs get significant carries with a third getting a handful. Doc started using multiple backs with Van, Booker, Tron, Grooms, Butler, Remi, Devon Johnson, Keion Davis, etc. We had that one game where we had three back each rush for 100 yards.

For the most part your feature back carries the vast majority of the time with a backup getting a handful. Anything beyond that is garbage time or injury influenced rotations.

Last edited:
Going 5 wide is why Cam ended up on his butt 8 times and we never adjusted.

When Huff says “we don’t worry about who we are playing, we are playing to our standard every game”. I believe this because we never seem to take into account what the other team is good or bad at doing. After 4-5 sacks don’t you think maybe you need another guy blocking?

Personally I think we fall apart after big wins because Huff loves him some Huff and is more focused on promoting himself than the job. He likes media attention because it’s his path out of the place nobody wants to be.

Should Huff use his 750K+ a year to go buy a legit NFL type back? Or should he/staff put in the work to develop or coach a kid up?

If all we have is a dinged up Ali and Payne then I say go spend the money on some 5star free agent looking for playing time.

When Huff says “we don’t worry about who we are playing, we are playing to our standard every game”. I believe this because we never seem to take into account what the other team is good or bad at doing. After 4-5 sacks don’t you think maybe you need another guy blocking?

Personally I think we fall apart after big wins because Huff loves him some Huff and is more focused on promoting himself than the job. He likes media attention because it’s his path out of the place nobody wants to be.
This team/coaching staff doesn’t seem to understand the concept of adjusting.

How many times in the 90’s was Marshall getting thumped at halftime only to come out the second half and dominate. We as fans never feared a loss because most of the time we knew we would comeback and win or at least make it a game worth watching.

I struggle with watching these games where it seems like the team wasn’t prepared to play.. that has been the case so many times in the past 20 years, maybe besides a couple Cato years. We fans bleed green, just wish the coaches did also….

exactly. we were 5 wide on our OWN on yard line!

So the problem with Huff is that he's active on social media and gets interviews discussing the program. I too wish we could go back to the days when John mumbled and bumbled about, never really answered a question, kicked media out of the Shewey, and generally refused to be a part of the community in Htgn, etc.

The pressure isn't going away until we start hitting shots down field on a consistent basis. Until then the box is going to remain crowded and they're going to be pinning their ears back because they have no fear of getting burnt deep. Remove Ali from the offense and it's even worse.

Should Huff use his 750K+ a year to go buy a legit NFL type back? Or should he/staff put in the work to develop or coach a kid up?

If all we have is a dinged up Ali and Payne then I say go spend the money on some 5star free agent looking for playing time.
The going rate for one of those is more than what Huff makes.

So the problem with Huff is that he's active on social media and gets interviews discussing the program. I too wish we could go back to the days when John mumbled and bumbled about, never really answered a question, kicked media out of the Shewey, and generally refused to be a part of the community in Htgn, etc.
I miss the days when we won championships. I couldn't care any less how candid they are in interviews or social media. I don't want a friend or a buddy. I want a ball coach capable of bringing championship caliber football.

I don't know why anyone cares about the coaches press conferences. They're all a bunch of meaningless crap. They all say a lot of stuff without saying anything at all. Most coaches act pretty annoyed that that they even have to be there doing them.

I miss the days when we won championships. I couldn't care any less how candid they are in interviews or social media. I don't want a friend or a buddy. I want a ball coach capable of bringing championship caliber football.

I don't know why anyone cares about the coaches press conferences. They're all a bunch of meaningless crap. They all say a lot of stuff without saying anything at all. Most coaches act pretty annoyed that that they even have to be there doing them.
It's not about you. It may not mean anything to you, but it does matter to the kids/players looking to decide where they end up and play. Huff is the face of the program regardless of whether any of us like it or not. A big part of building the program is being seen and heard. I just finished reading a thread where some on here are still bitching about Bagent not being recruited. Welllllll, this is part of recruiting broadly. Media, social media, all of it.
There are some legitimate questions Huff should answer...how much time he spends making the media rounds isn't one of them.

It's not about you. It may not mean anything to you, but it does matter to the kids/players looking to decide where they end up and play. Huff is the face of the program regardless of whether any of us like it or not. A big part of building the program is being seen and heard. I just finished reading a thread where some on here are still bitching about Bagent not being recruited. Welllllll, this is part of recruiting broadly. Media, social media, all of it.
There are some legitimate questions Huff should answer...how much time he spends making the media rounds isn't one of them.
What does Bagent not being recruited by us have anything to do with press conferences and social media? We didn't offer him.

I also don't think any player is picking a school because the coach's press conference are fire.

This team/coaching staff doesn’t seem to understand the concept of adjusting.

How many times in the 90’s was Marshall getting thumped at halftime only to come out the second half and dominate. We as fans never feared a loss because most of the time we knew we would comeback and win or at least make it a game worth watching.

I struggle with watching these games where it seems like the team wasn’t prepared to play.. that has been the case so many times in the past 20 years, maybe besides a couple Cato years. We fans bleed green, just wish the coaches did also….
Western Michigan, 30-6 (?) at halftime. Hold on, Chad's at the wheel. We've got this.

Western Michigan, 30-6 (?) at halftime. Hold on, Chad's at the wheel. We've got this.
Was a bad idea to leave the stadium early back in those days.. they just found ways to win, not consider the loss at the start of the 4th or not have a QB or RBs ready to step up…

Reactions: Elkview
What does Bagent not being recruited by us have anything to do with press conferences and social media? We didn't offer him.

I also don't think any player is picking a school because the coach's press conference are fire.
Bagent was a RECRUITING discussion. This is too. Try and keep up.

As a potential player, do you want a coach that gives answers and reasoning to decisions he's making (whether you like it or not) or one that doesn't give an answer? Promotes the program, stands up for his players/coaches-has their backs in tough situations or one that openly throws guys under the bus? How does he respond to adversity and losses? IT ALL MATTERS, to both the kids and parents that are considering where they want to end up.

Again, some dont like Huff, and some of the on-field decisions his staff has made. That's fine. Bitching about his presence in the media, willingness to offer detailed answers to questions, participating in social media, suggesting he should hide away, is short sighted and stupid in an era when minds can change for the simplest of reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT