ADVERTISEMENT

Sweats

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
I think I may have started a similar thread on here about a decade ago. What age is too old to wear sweats and workout gear in public?

To put things into perspective, my days almost always consist of two long walks, a possible medical appointment, walking to the farmer's market on the weekend, walking to the gym, and then any errands I have to do while out picking up dinner. And it isn't tight gray sweatpants with cuffed elastic bottoms. They are cool, baggy, usually team affiliated (Marshall, North Texas, Miami Dolphins) sweats. And I always wear sweats/gym shorts/long sleeve workout shirts. Is it appropriate for a guy my age to roll into his dental appointment, CT scan (like today), the farmer's market in sweats? California natives - especially those who grew up near the beach - do some of the same. They wear sandals (I never do other than at the beach) just about everywhere and are pretty casually dressed. But others around here who aren't natives will look more presentable with non-sweats, even if they are walking to the farmer's market on Saturdays.

I know some people look down on it when everybody else is in dress shorts, jeans, etc., and I don't give a fvck. But is there an age where I should eliminate that stuff other than at the gym?

It is the opposite of what you think. They older you get the more you don't give a shit.

Reactions: 30CAT
I’ve noticed several companies, like Fabletics, that make upscale athletic ware that doesn’t look like gray pajama bottoms. Why not something like that? A little pricey, but you’re rich.

I’ve noticed several companies, like Fabletics, that make upscale athletic ware that doesn’t look like gray pajama bottoms. Why not something like that? A little pricey, but you’re rich.
Lululemon does as well. I have a couple of similar material from Nike and another brand.

The problem with those yoga style pants is that the material is so thin, I end up looking like the old guy with the hog on Marshall’s campus that I posted a picture of. And that material also doesn’t look good unless you wear them tight, which I don’t like.

I actually like spandex pants even though they’re tight. When I wear them someplace with a very long shirt after I was biking, they were the most comfortable. And if you’re a well-built lad, they looo great, too. They just aren’t accepted in society for guys, so I can’t wear them without gay guys giving me the stare.

Last edited:
They just aren’t accepted in society for guys, so I can’t wear them without gay guys giving me the stare.
Story time.

I was in Key West years ago and the sun was brutal. Didn’t want to burn so I stopped in a little beach shop and asked the female clerk if she had any of the loose, slip on, canvas beach pants. She pulled a pair of just what I wanted from a store shelf.

While I prepared to pay for the pants, the clerk took this god awful shirt from a nearby rack. The shirt was long sleeved, had lacey cuffs, large buttons, and was black and gold. She told me, “This would look nice with the slacks.”

“Kind of gay,” I replied.

She looked a bit hurt and startled when she said to me, “Well, what kind of shop did you think this was?”

I left as quickly as possible, but I did buy the pants.

Last edited:
No one pays as much attention to you as you do yourself. This is true of everyone.

I think there is merit to being cognizant of your appearance and dressing to impress, etc in many scenarios.

But as a well established middle aged dude I have zero issues throwing on sweats to run to Trader Joe’s. No one cares.

Being fit makes up for a lot of issues with clothes too. If you’re jacked like rifle wearing a t shirt and sweats looks a lot different on him than a 300 lb neck beard.

Story time.

I was in Key West years ago and the sun was brutal. Didn’t want to burn so I stopped in a little beach shop and asked the female clerk if she had any of the loose, slip on canvas beach pants. She pulled a pair of just what I wanted from a store shelf.

While I prepared to pay for the pants, the clerk took this god awful shirt from a nearby rack. The shirt was long sleeved, had lacey cuffs, large buttons, and was black and gold. She told me, “This would look nice with the slacks.”

She looked a bit hurt and startled when she said to me, “Well, what kind of shop did you think this was?”

It probably means you were clothes shopping in the right place.

Goes for coffee too - if you’re getting gay vibes or it looks like the people running the espresso machine have freshly died purple hair and awful bangs you know you’re about to get a great coffee or espresso.

You don't live in Orange County. Your neighbors aren't Real Housewives cast members. If people didn't give a shit, everybody would be walking around in sweats.
The issue is you caring what a real housewives cast member thinks.

I worry about seeing my patients …but could care less about what some vapid plastic 40 yo thinks about me.

I worry about seeing my patients
My father always insisted on a fresh, starched lab style jacket each morning of his long practice. One of my new, young doctors came into the room for my first visit wearing a denim shirt, jeans, and a pair of Crocs. At first, I thought he was a maintenance worker who had come to fix the broken fluorescent ceiling light.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
No one pays as much attention to you as you do yourself.
Let me introduce you to @muthed , @19MU88 , and @30CAT . I can't jerkoff without those guys analyzing which hand was my top hand, how heavy my load was, and how far my shot was.

And especially true of Rifle.
Case in point.

Negative. If people didn't give a shit, they would be walking around naked.
And right after I quoted that last one, this one popped up. Shocker.

I worry about seeing my patients …but could care less about what some vapid plastic 40 yo thinks about me.
*Couldn't care less. Think it through. Even with a lifelong west virginia education, I have faith that you can use the correct word.

No one pays as much attention to you as you do yourself. This is true of everyone.

I think there is merit to being cognizant of your appearance and dressing to impress, etc in many scenarios.

But as a well established middle aged dude I have zero issues throwing on sweats to run to Trader Joe’s. No one cares.

Being fit makes up for a lot of issues with clothes too. If you’re jacked like rifle wearing a t shirt and sweats looks a lot different on him than a 300 lb neck beard.
Are you saying rifle pays attention to himself?

Reactions: 19MU88
Never been a sweats guy. Too damn hot. I still wear cargo shorts even though I’m told they are completely out of style. I like having a bunch of pockets. Yesterday I was hanging new garage lights outside and you can just toss everything in the pockets and don’t have to keep going up and down the ladder.

Never been a sweats guy. Too damn hot. I still wear cargo shorts even though I’m told they are completely out of style. I like having a bunch of pockets. Yesterday I was hanging new garage lights outside and you can just toss everything in the pockets and don’t have to keep going up and down the ladder.
Agree

I have to dress nicely all the time for work. When not engaged with my job, I'm in sweats and DGAF. Couldn't care less about another's perception.

Reactions: 19MU88
Let me introduce you to @muthed , @19MU88 , and @30CAT . I can't jerkoff without those guys analyzing which hand was my top hand, how heavy my load was, and how far my shot was.

Case in point.

And right after I quoted that last one, this one popped up. Shocker.

*Couldn't care less. Think it through. Even with a lifelong west virginia education, I have faith that you can use the correct word.
You really should get new material. Boring. It is funny that you spam & troll board seeking attention and when a small percentage of your spam is responded to or you are otherwise mocked you turn to same schtick. Do better. Be that great poster you claim to be and dream of being.

I think I may have started a similar thread on here about a decade ago. What age is too old to wear sweats and workout gear in public?

To put things into perspective, my days almost always consist of two long walks, a possible medical appointment, walking to the farmer's market on the weekend, walking to the gym, and then any errands I have to do while out picking up dinner. And it isn't tight gray sweatpants with cuffed elastic bottoms. They are cool, baggy, usually team affiliated (Marshall, North Texas, Miami Dolphins) sweats. And I always wear sweats/gym shorts/long sleeve workout shirts. Is it appropriate for a guy my age to roll into his dental appointment, CT scan (like today), the farmer's market in sweats? California natives - especially those who grew up near the beach - do some of the same. They wear sandals (I never do other than at the beach) just about everywhere and are pretty casually dressed. But others around here who aren't natives will look more presentable with non-sweats, even if they are walking to the farmer's market on Saturdays.

I know some people look down on it when everybody else is in dress shorts, jeans, etc., and I don't give a fvck. But is there an age where I should eliminate that stuff other than at the gym?

When I owned my business, I always tried to look “good in public”. Now that I’m happily retired, I don’t give a flying fvck (unless I’m going to a Doctor’s Office, Dentist’s Office, or church).

And just what the hell's wrong with cargo shorts? They'll never go out of style!

And just what the hell's wrong with cargo shorts?
Too many pockets. More than once, I have removed a coin or a nail from the washer pump compartment or the dryer lint trap because I didn’t search every pocket of those shorts

the cargos are only OK if you pair them with the Air Monarch

Men-s-Nike-Air-Monarch-IV-Wide-4E-White-Metallic-Silver-416355-102-6-5_811ccc4b-68b4-4eb4-b0fa-27b7fd2a91ba.8c3b32042e8d4a6d9ddacd4da674ca1e.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife got me some of those shorts with the built in underwear. When I pull a Joe Biden there is no exit strategy. I sharted or we are at a high Defcon level. We are out of here.

Reactions: thunderscope
Nike? Hell no. Skechers
or New Balance.
it is funny because those Nikes look like a New Balance knockoff and that’s not the direction you’d think that would go.

I’ve considered getting some NB but I don’t know if I’m quite that old yet.

Other than my friend Arche (who's married to the beautiful eastern European lady), most guys I see wearing those off-gray sweats are balding, middle aged men who no longer have a sex life. Anybody see that episode where costanza gave up on women, and put on the gray sweats and tshirt? He snapped out of it and bought that toupee.

rifle, if you go the toupee route one day, you should buy an afro. Used to get me a bunch of snatch down Tech with the fro. Even kept a pick in the back pocket of my Wranglers.

Story time.

I was in Key West years ago and the sun was brutal. Didn’t want to burn so I stopped in a little beach shop and asked the female clerk if she had any of the loose, slip on, canvas beach pants. She pulled a pair of just what I wanted from a store shelf.

I don’t think a day goes by that I’m not wearing an Under Armor/Nike dri fit shirt and shorts. I absolutely love them. In the winter, I may throw on a pair of joggers. I think the right style of sweat pants are always in style, no matter the age. Not the kind you get at Wal Mart, but designer brands all over the place have great options.

I’m a proponent of comfort. Athletic gear does it for me and I don’t ever see myself aging out of that.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Yep, Doc Fungus has not yet mastered being an over the hill white male. I just got a new pair of the Skechers Slip-ins and they pair nicely with the cargo shorts. Nike shoes are too narrow and therefore uncomfortable.

Agree on narrow Nike shoes.

I have taken to wide toe box shoes. For exercise I like Xero shoes.

For casual shoes I like Camper’s (wait for a sale but still pricey but they hold up).

I haven’t taken to over the hill dress wear yet. Just in spirit in there.

My weekend casual wear or at the soccer field wear is usually joggers like BC mentioned with a t shirt . I get so sun burnt I do push the old man envelope with a floppy hat or a vintage WWF hat paired with sunscreen that won’t rub in all the way. Get that faint white glow. Just to avoid attracting so much female attention and block the sun.

I don’t think a day goes by that I’m not wearing an Under Armor/Nike dri fit shirt and shorts. I absolutely love them. In the winter, I may throw on a pair of joggers. I think the right style of sweat pants are always in style, no matter the age. Not the kind you get at Wal Mart, but designer brands all over the place have great options.

I’m a proponent of comfort. Athletic gear does it for me and I don’t ever see myself aging out of that.

I agree the newer athletic wear does look nicer than the sweats we had growing up.

I have a hard time with some of the price tags but you can see the difference in fit and look.

Reactions: big_country90
Agree on narrow Nike shoes.

I have taken to wide toe box shoes. For exercise I like Xero shoes.

For casual shoes I like Camper’s (wait for a sale but still pricey but they hold up).

I haven’t taken to over the hill dress wear yet. Just in spirit in there.

My weekend casual wear or at the soccer field wear is usually joggers like BC mentioned with a t shirt . I get so sun burnt I do push the old man envelope with a floppy hat or a vintage WWF hat paired with sunscreen that won’t rub in all the way. Get that faint white glow. Just to avoid attracting so much female attention and block the sun.
Dude, those shoes look like something a man would wear because he lives in some remote area of a 3rd world country. And the audacity to charge that amount?

Dude, those shoes look like something a man would wear because he lives in some remote area of a 3rd world country. And the audacity to charge that amount?

I can get them for around $110 with sales.

Yes, the remote villages wear natural shaped shoes. Your feet aren’t made to be crammed into unnatural shapes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT