ADVERTISEMENT

Taking a closer look @ the Shockers....

http://goshockers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=m_bkb&

They are pretty big, especially the Euros. The 7 footer is a Freshman. Shamet is the straw that stirs their drink. What do you think? Any takeaways?

Go Herd !!!!

...and coached by ex-HERD assistant, Greg Marshall and Asst Coach, Donnie Jones---both friends to Coach Dan. If an upset happens Friday starting at 10:30 am-- California time....Round Two Sunday====Dandy Dan vs Huggy Bear.....OUCH.

HerdZilla22

Reactions: AmeriKenny
http://goshockers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=m_bkb&

They are pretty big, especially the Euros. The 7 footer is a Freshman. Shamet is the straw that stirs their drink. What do you think? Any takeaways?

Go Herd !!!!
Watched a few games last week of them in their conference tournament. Very solid team. They’ve got size and athleticism down low. However, I thought their guard play was average at best and any coach will tell you that guard play wins in the tournament.

Shamet is a very nice shooter, but is pretty skinny/frail. They’ve got a similar player (I think Reaves?) who played a lot too. Good shooter, but skinny/frail.

We’re going to need Burke to come out of the slump he was in the last few games of the CUSA tournament and we need Jannson/George to keep wearing the big boy pants. Elmore should have a field day with his matchup if they keep PG-on-PG

I watched two games this season featuring the Shockers... I think they are going to out-rebound us by a lot. We need Darius George, Jannson Williams and Rondale Watson to focus on rebounding the basketball, especially on the defensive end, if we want to have a chance.

At the end of the day, the game will come down to what all of our games come down to... 1. Are we hitting 3's... 2. Are we taking care of the basketball... 3. Are we forcing our opponent to take less than desirable shots.

That formula beat MTSU twice and WKU in the championship game. No reason to abandon it now.

Watched a few games last week of them in their conference tournament. Very solid team. They’ve got size and athleticism down low. However, I thought their guard play was average at best and any coach will tell you that guard play wins in the tournament.

Shamet is a very nice shooter, but is pretty skinny/frail. They’ve got a similar player (I think Reaves?) who played a lot too. Good shooter, but skinny/frail.

We’re going to need Burke to come out of the slump he was in the last few games of the CUSA tournament and we need Jannson/George to keep wearing the big boy pants. Elmore should have a field day with his matchup if they keep PG-on-PG

Well, Burke's "slump" was more like a one game thing. Championship game was probably as bad an offensive game he had all season. Remember, he had 29 against either So. Miss or UTSA and double figure points in the other game. We need our "big 3" clicking offensively and, per above, Watson, George, Jannson doing their thing in other areas. Steady floor play, hustle from bulldog West would also help, IMO!

Well, Burke's "slump" was more like a one game thing. Championship game was probably as bad an offensive game he had all season. Remember, he had 29 against either So. Miss or UTSA and double figure points in the other game. We need our "big 3" clicking offensively and, per above, Watson, George, Jannson doing their thing in other areas. Steady floor play, hustle from bulldog West would also help, IMO!

I said the last few games in the tournament, which was So Miss & WKU, where he was 6-28 from the field and 1-12 from three. If that’s not a two game slump for Burks, I don’t know what is. He did have a great game vs UTSA. I never said he didn’t.

Making the tournament is incredible for marketing and PR... Whether you win or lose, theres no such thing as too much publicity.

Dont think for a second Coach Dantoni and staff wont be blowing up this bid and the upward trend of the program to recruit.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just looked in on the aacbbs board. Wow, how refreshing! Seems pretty civil over there. I hadn’t remembered Their NCAA record - quite impressive. They say they’re going to come in with a chip on their shoulder from going out in the AAC semis vs UC.....I would put the chip on OUR shoulders up against anybody! That baby’s been growing for 31 years. Must weigh 20 lbs! Go Herd!

Reactions: RhinoD
I said the last few games in the tournament, which was So Miss & WKU, where he was 6-28 from the field and 1-12 from three. If that’s not a two game slump for Burks, I don’t know what is. He did have a great game vs UTSA. I never said he didn’t.

My concern is The HERD was up 12-points
with about 3:40 to go....never to score again. However, Penava could have slammed one home with 3-seconds on the clock. WKU outscored Marshall 11-0 down the stretch. I am going to look at the game again today, but it appeared no one other than Elmore wanted the ball in the final minutes.

HerdZilla22

I'd love a win against Backdoor Donnie. I still can't stand that backstabbing punk.

To each his own....but my question is? Would you prefer to reside in Orlando making over $500K or continue in Huntington making less than $300K? I continue to like & support Donnie Jones.

HerdZilla22

To each his own....but my question is?

eca13411ececa48e1c2445040d7f5118.jpg

My concern is The HERD was up 12-points with about 3:40 to go....never to score again. However, Penava could have slammed one home with 3-seconds on the clock. WKU outscored Marshall 11-0 down the stretch. I am going to look at the game again today, but it appeared no one other than Elmore wanted the ball in the final minutes.

HerdZilla22
They went to a zone, started applying high half court pressure and trapping in the corners. I think we were trying to stall a little bit and we should have attacked it. It lead to a couple turnovers and a couple bad shots. Those empty possessions allowed them to get back in the game and almost cost us.

Just looked in on the aacbbs board. Wow, how refreshing! Seems pretty civil over there. I hadn’t remembered Their NCAA record - quite impressive. They say they’re going to come in with a chip on their shoulder from going out in the AAC semis vs UC.....I would put the chip on OUR shoulders up against anybody! That baby’s been growing for 31 years. Must weigh 20 lbs! Go Herd!

W-S HerdFan..
..I hope Dan, his staff & players can pull off the upset, but Greg Marshall is a hands on coach and the Shockers will not take The HERD lightly. When Greg was at Winthrop, he invited me to bring two 5th-grade school kids I tutored with Math & English to his practices & some games. Greg was always very kind to them. He was always on the floor coaching up his players while his assistants looked on from the sidelines.

They went to a zone, started applying high half court pressure and trapping in the corners. I think we were trying to stall a little bit and we should have attacked it. It lead to a couple turnovers and a couple bad shots. Those empty possessions allowed them to get back in the game and almost cost us.
Agreed Sean - Just like in football.

Definitely a variable... both teams undoubtedly will have butterflies - first 5 minutes is the key to the game. We HAVE TO stay in the game and not be in a position where we are playing from behind right from the get-go. Seeing that first three go through the hoop quickly is SUPER important - as is trying to get their big guys into a little bit of foul trouble. If the officiating lets them play, this is going to be an uphill battle - if they dont let it get too physical and we can stay in a transition game, we have a much better opportunity to pull off the upset. They are any bigger, stronger or faster than Xavier.

Key to the game for Marshall
......Ajdin PENAVA is of no value if he is on the bench. He must not commit silly fouls. Hope C.J. gets it going too. Our young players are playing like veterans now....and The HERD may be SHOCKING.......

Zilla22

I've seen them play at least 10 games this year on TV, to win, IMHO we must:

Clamp down on their guards, West will be as tough a defender as I've seen them face, with the exception of UH.
Put a damper on the effectiveness of their big man; he is good but not great. He has some good moves out into the lane so we'd be smart to start Williams on him instead of Peneva.
Surprise Greg Marshall a bit; he does coach "against the opponent", different defensive game plans depending on their opponent.
And of course, we have to drive the lane effectively. The 3s game will be a toss up unless we're just cold; and we'll need to see C.J. and Jon effectively take it in "off the glass".

I've seen them play at least 10 games this year on TV, to win, IMHO we must:

Clamp down on their guards, West will be as tough a defender as I've seen them face, with the exception of WVU.
Put a damper on the effectiveness of their big man; he is good but not great. He has some good moves out into the lane so we'd be smart to start Williams on him instead of Peneva.
Surprise Greg Marshall a bit; he does coach "against the opponent", different defensive game plans depending on their opponent.
And of course, we have to drive the lane effectively. The 3s game will be a toss up unless we're just cold; and we'll need to see C.J. and Jon effectively take it in "off the glass".

Not to sound harsh but if you dont think Gary Clark from UC was the toughest guard they faced then not sure what games you watched. Clark was the AAC Defensive Player of the Year. Again not to sound harsh-West couldnt hold his jock on D.

Marshall has a chance to win this game if they get hot and make shots with limited turnovers and NO foul trouble. However, lets be realistic with comparisons and with full disclosure-I am a Xavier grad and season ticket holder-it PAINS me to give anyone at uc credit but Clark is special!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Sash - I hear you. We will have to play nearly w/o any mistakes and be red hot from deep in order to have any chance. Hoping the "Home" crowd of mainly San Diegoans(?) will adopt the Herd and give them some vocal support!! #Adopttheherd

Reactions: Sash19
Sash - I hear you. We will have to play nearly w/o any mistakes and be red hot from deep in order to have any chance. Hoping the "Home" crowd of mainly San Diegoans(?) will adopt the Herd and give them some vocal support!! #Adopttheherd

Ive talked to a few WVU fans and they have told me everyone they have spoken with will cheer on Marshall on Friday.

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers
Good thing is the weather hasnt been Typical San Diego Weather so hopefully we spend little to no time at the beach.

I think Marshall can put Wichita State on their heels quickly if they come out on fire from 3. If they get down early or come out flat, they will have a very tough hill to climb. Best thing for the Herd would be a back and forth close game that comes down to the last 5 minutes. Marshall would have the energy while the Shockers would be a little tense given expectations

Not to sound harsh but if you dont think Gary Clark from UC was the toughest guard they faced then not sure what games you watched. Clark was the AAC Defensive Player of the Year. Again not to sound harsh-West couldnt hold his jock on D.

Marshall has a chance to win this game if they get hot and make shots with limited turnovers and NO foul trouble. However, lets be realistic with comparisons and with full disclosure-I am a Xavier grad and season ticket holder-it PAINS me to give anyone at uc credit but Clark is special!

Sash...I have Xavier in my Final two.........

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Aaron_Torres tweets the following about the Herd’s open practice this morning:

Marshall hoops - coached by Dan D'Antoni, Mike D'Antoni's brother- is using their open practice to work on three things: 1) Alley oops 2) Off the backboard dunks and 3) 3-point shots. In a related story, Marshall is my new favorite team in the NCAA Tourney

If you look at our stats, we likely won't out rebound WS. When we win, we hit 10+ 3's and get to the Free Throw line. Looking at the CUSA Championship box score, we were only 1 for 2 from the line in the second half while WKU was 10 for 12 (that's where the lead evaporated)! If we hit 10 + 3's, drive the ball for lay up's, and get to the line at least 15 times, it's our best shot. Go Herd!

I live in Cincy myself and watch UC and X all the time. Never said Clark wasn't good...by the way I updated my post to say UH, which is what I meant to type. wsu and Wvu haven't played this year that I know of, and I think the kid from Houston is better than Clark.west is very good too, relentless actually on defense.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Well, the best men to ever occupy the bench in the Henderson Center is still sitting there. I'm a great fan of great guy Greg Marshall; he lived across the alley and used to come to our cookouts. Not so much of Donnie "for a few dollars more" Jones; he shit in his mess kit and will never be welcome to come home again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT