ADVERTISEMENT

Uh Oh

You are crazy. Nobody is asking teachers to work 12 months.

Here is an idea. Maybe teachers should fight for a contract that has them showing up to school buildings for 12 months, in order to actually be paid for 12. Based on their current contracted “rate”, adding ~3 months of salary would be a significant raise for many.

Yep, I'm crazy, moron.

Where have I been anti-teacher?

If teachers want a pay increase, what is wrong with part/all of such an increase being tied to a reform that extends the school year to ~12 months?

You just tied an increase of pay to working more hours. I guess you're now going to argue that's a win-win for teachers. Let's just have all employers who are asked for raises to tell their employees "if you want a raise, work more hours." I'm sure I've read you wrong in this thread, you're all for the teachers.

Yehh work 12 months for 12 months pay. 9 months equals 9 months pay.

Face palm

You just got done saying "You are crazy. Nobody is asking teachers to work 12 months." I quote someone suggesting the very thing and you "face palm" yourself.

You just tied an increase of pay to working what most full time year round employees work. Let's just have all employers who are asked for raises to tell their employees "if you want a raise, work 12 months instead of 9."

Yes. This sounds reasonable.

It's an example of your philosophy of more hours worked is the same as a raise.

In the case of someone currently only working part of the year, being asked to work all year, how is this philosophy wrong?. (No saturdays required, Liar Wayne county dumb).

It also costs more to live in those states as well. My guess is they also out perform WV schools. But, how can you compare the cost of living in Laurel, MD to Logan, WV. I don't know but, do those states have charter schools? I am guessing so.

And look, I don't totally blame WV teachers. The schools there won't get better until the parents want it to be better and demand more out of their kids and the schools. IF the parents don't care and want more then, it won't matter.
I’m not comparing laurel to Logan I am comparing hedgesville to Cumberland or ironton to Huntington. I don’t think there is a difference in COL.

In the case of someone currently only working part of the year, being asked to work all year, how is this philosophy wrong?. (No saturdays required, Liar Wayne county dumb).

It's not a raise, moron. It's simply working more hours. You get stupider by the minute.

I love how people believe that when a teacher pro rates their income to get a check in the summer that they’re getting paid for not working. That’s ridiculously shallow thinking. Teachers get paid for 10 months and those who choose elect to have money withheld from their check to cover their summer months. My deduction appears as “Summer Pay” on my paycheck and goes into a savings in my credit union. If I chose not to do that I’d be paid for 10 months without pay during the summer.

By some of your logic, a person who is frugal enough to save a few years income in their job and places it in savings and then quits and lives off that income, is being paid the next two years for not working. That’s just incredibly shallow thinking.

But the answer is easy. Make teachers work year round. I’m all for it.

I love how people believe that when a teacher pro rates their income to get a check in the summer that they’re getting paid for not working. That’s ridiculously shallow thinking. Teachers get paid for 10 months and those who choose elect to have money withheld from their check to cover their summer months. My deduction appears as “Summer Pay” on my paycheck and goes into a savings in my credit union. If I chose not to do that I’d be paid for 10 months without pay during the summer.

By some of your logic, a person who is frugal enough to save a few years income in their job and places it in savings and then quits and lives off that income, is being paid the next two years for not working. That’s just incredibly shallow thinking.

But the answer is easy. Make teachers work year round. I’m all for it.
With so many issues coming from the home today & kids being sent to school on empty stomachs, why do you not think year round schooling hasn’t been talked about more? Give kids more class time who need it. Give parents a summer baby sitter. Give kids meals over the summer. Allow kids who reach a certain benchmark with their grades & test scores to opt out of physically being there (if their parents choose), but require online work. This gives kids who need more individidual attention that opportunity over the summer.

Changes need to be made to education & if the people in the education community don’t get together and think outside the box to make some drastic changes, the Mitch Carmichael’s of the world will eventually win.

You could rotate the kids in sessions to lower class size. Almost every study shows that diminished class size increases learning. The teachers would be working year round-the students wouldn’t.

That's a great idea for the kids and teachers imho. What about sitters for the kids ??

With so many issues coming from the home today & kids being sent to school on empty stomachs, why do you not think year round schooling hasn’t been talked about more? Give kids more class time who need it. Give parents a summer baby sitter. Give kids meals over the summer. Allow kids who reach a certain benchmark with their grades & test scores to opt out of physically being there (if their parents choose), but require online work. This gives kids who need more individidual attention that opportunity over the summer.

Changes need to be made to education & if the people in the education community don’t get together and think outside the box to make some drastic changes, the Mitch Carmichael’s of the world will eventually win.

I don’t disagree. But it is incredibly naive to believe Carmichael is for education. (not saying you are.) He is for using his position in the legislature to enrich himself. Follow the money for Carmichael. Follow the money for the Putnam Superintendent (same county as Carmichael) and their interest in charter schools.

And the biggest complaint for year round schools when discussed was from those who use the summer for their kids to do travel ball.

That's a great idea for the kids and teachers imho. What about sitters for the kids ??

It wouldn’t be any different than what they’d have to do in the two months during the summer. I don’t know if that should be the job of the school system.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)

Because the teachers want their vacation time. And if they don’t get it they will just go on strike, for the betterment of the kids of course.

It wouldn’t be any different than what they’d have to do in the two months during the summer. I don’t know if that should be the job of the school system.

Can you give an example of how the kids would be rotated in and out ??
I'm not saying it's the responsibility of the school system, I'm trying to envision how it would effect ability to hire sitters

I love how people believe that when a teacher pro rates their income to get a check in the summer that they’re getting paid for not working.

It’s possible I missed that, but I didn’t read that on here. You (teachers) are paid for the time you work...9-10 months.

With that said, year round calendars work extremely well here in this area. There are various “track schedules” which help the school systems allocate resources, like busing schedules etc.

These schedules provide a more consistent way of delivering education to kids on a “year round” basis while also allowing decent breaks and time off in between the quarters (tracks). It operates exactly the way a university system on “quarters” works.

The only challenge I’ve heard from some of my neighbors is that their Middle school child may be on a different “track” than their high school child.

The year round/track out schedules have also fueled the “track out camp” business here. The opportunities for many kids to experience other things is endless.

It’s possible I missed that, but I didn’t read that on here. You (teachers) are paid for the time you work...9-10 months.

With that said, year round calendars work extremely well here in this area. There are various “track schedules” which help the school systems allocate resources, like busing schedules etc.

These schedules provide a more consistent way of delivering education to kids on a “year round” basis while also allowing decent breaks and time off in between the quarters (tracks). It operates exactly the way a university system on “quarters” works.

The only challenge I’ve heard from some of my neighbors is that their Middle school child may be on a different “track” than their high school child.

This has been discussed here as well. I think studies show a backslide of retention after the summer months off. I don’t doubt that. I’d like to see those studies also test several months after school starts to see if the retention backslides eventually even out.

But again...the driver of opposition is coming from athletics, not the academic side.

Has anyone on here suggested you should work 12 months for the same gross amount you currently make for 9-10?

Absolutely not. But every time payraises come up there’s the string of people saying we can’t afford them. So how Is we can’t afford payraises, but we can afford to pay teachers for two extra months?

This has been discussed here as well. I think studies show a backslide of retention after the summer months off. I don’t doubt that. I’d like to see those studies also test several months after school starts to see if the retention backslides eventually even out.

But again...the driver of opposition is coming from athletics, not the academic side.

I agree with almost everything here. I’ve seen the comments of many people there, when the year round schedule is proposed. There is a lot of “academic” push back there for year round, and a lot of summer sports complaining too. Many teachers like and want that full summer break.

The thing is, if done correctly, there is still a very nice summer break, along with 3 additional nice breaks throughout the year.

Absolutely not. But every time payraises come up there’s the string of people saying we can’t afford them. So how Is we can’t afford payraises, but we can afford to pay teachers for two extra months?
I see both sides. In WV, the state is extremely poor, so I would imagine money is hard to fined. That's reasonable. But, if you work 12 months you should get paid 12 months. Some teachers want to work the year round schedules and some do not.

Is there resistance to the 12 month calendar in WV?

It’s a matter of allocating priorities ($$) properly and correcting the (mis)perception of “value” all look to achieve.

With that said. WV appears hopeless. Just look at this thread. You have Greed actually arguing that a 33% increase in pay for a teacher in one post...isn’t really a pay increase for a teacher in another. There is simply no way to improve that level of ignorance and stupidity.

It’s a matter of allocating priorities ($$) properly and correcting the (mis)perception of “value” all look to achieve.

With that said. WV appears hopeless. Just look at this thread. You have Greed actually arguing that a 33% increase in pay for a teacher in one post...isn’t really a pay increase for a teacher in another. There is simply no way to improve that level of ignorance and stupidity.
It truly is sad. I see comments on social media from folks back in WV. It is like stirring a hornets nest and truly sad and glad I don't have to be around it.

In one county they opened schools and some parents sent their kids to school. They are calling the parents out and kids out for crossing a picket line. One lady is like look we moved here and are not used to this. They said school was open so I sent my kids, what do I do? The people just feed off of each other.

You really want to be like a big God or something and sit both sides in a corner and say look at you all? Your education system there is bad. In two years you have shut down the schools twice. Your peer states are crushing you. People are leaving here. Why would anyone look to come here? Or locate a business here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT