ADVERTISEMENT

Uh Oh

I don’t disagree. But it is incredibly naive to believe Carmichael is for education. (not saying you are.) He is for using his position in the legislature to enrich himself. Follow the money for Carmichael. Follow the money for the Putnam Superintendent (same county as Carmichael) and their interest in charter schools.

And the biggest complaint for year round schools when discussed was from those who use the summer for their kids to do travel ball.
No, I agree 100%. But whatever education reform is being introduced will be under the guise of improving education, giving parents choices to better their children's education, doing something different, stopping the years and years of failed education policy, etc...That is eventually going to win and the teachers will lose if they don't do something. Teachers need to start lobbying to get some reform that actually works. At the end of the day, elections have consequences. And teachers need to use the passion they have in February to get people elected who will pass the reform they want.

And if the biggest complaint for year round schools is from parents who put their kids in travel ball, all I have to say is that the minority should never flush the room of good ideas because of inconvenience. And teachers, who value the education of their students, should drown those idiots out.

In one county they opened schools and some parents sent their kids to school. They are calling the parents out and kids out for crossing a picket line. One lady is like look we moved here and are not used to this. They said school was open so I sent my kids, what do I do? The people just feed off of each other.

It is the "union mentality".

Seeing pics of teachers celebrating yesterday's "victory" on social media, it's hard to really make a case that all of this is "about the kids". They walked out...even before a bill became a law.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
It is the "union mentality".

Seeing pics of teachers celebrating yesterday's "victory" on social media, it's hard to really make a case that all of this is "about the kids". They walked out...even before a bill became a law.

It was a victory for the kids. A state legislator has some friends who want to start charter schools and make money. These charter schools would be taught by people who may or may not be qualified and competent to teach, since there are no requirements for actual qualification to teach at charter schools.

Your side lost; now you're mad.

Reactions: thunderscope
taught by people who may or may not be qualified

In other words....you really have no idea.

Speculation, fear-mongering, and hearsay. Yes, the Union mentality... just as I said.

I don't really have a "my side" in this debate. So I "lost" nothing. I don't live in WV (thankfully). What appears to be "lost" however, is yet another education day the "underperforming" kids of WV could have been educated, by all the "competent" teachers currently in the system.

It was a victory for the kids. A state legislator has some friends who want to start charter schools and make money. These charter schools would be taught by people who may or may not be qualified and competent to teach, since there are no requirements for actual qualification to teach at charter schools.

Your side lost; now you're mad.
His side. I am guessing by posts he has made on here before and by his "name" on this forum that he doesn't have a side nor live there.

Speculation, fear-mongering, and hearsay. Yes, the Union mentality... just as I said.

I don't really have a "my side" in this debate. So I "lost" nothing. I don't live in WV (thankfully). What appears to be "lost" however, is yet another education day the "underperforming" kids of WV could have been educated, by all the "competent" teachers currently in the system.
Key words May be taught by people that are not qualified. WHat is the charter school's are better and teachers there are more qualified. Is every teacher in public school highly qualified? I know of some damn good charter schools.

It is fear mongering. What they don't want is competition.

This brings up a question.

What is the specific reform teachers want?
Good question and IMO, part of the problem. There are issues with the way we do education. The obvious fact that it can be done better needs to stop being put on the back burner because it may cause some inconvenience. And if the teachers don't try to get ahead of it, they're not going to like the reform they get forced down their throats. That's my only point.

I have a perfectly good understanding of the situation. I know it is idiotic to think it's a good idea to take taxpayer dollars from public schools and give those funds to schools that have no requirements and qualifications for teachers who teach in those schools.

Key words May be taught by people that are not qualified. WHat is the charter school's are better and teachers there are more qualified. Is every teacher in public school highly qualified? I know of some damn good charter schools.

WTF?

I have a perfectly good understanding of the situation. I know it is idiotic to think it's a good idea to take taxpayer dollars from public schools and give those funds to schools that have no requirements and qualifications for teachers who teach in those schools.

Then write the law with those requirements in place. Tie their level of public funding to "qualifications".

Good question and IMO, part of the problem. There are issues with the way we do education. The obvious fact that it can be done better needs to stop being put on the back burner because it may cause some inconvenience. And if the teachers don't try to get ahead of it, they're not going to like the reform they get forced down their throats. That's my only point.

I don't disagree. I am just trying to learn what it is teachers there really want? We keep hearing it's "about the kids", yet I've seen no specific reform proposals from teachers which lifts the level education for the kids.

I don't disagree. I am just trying to learn what it is teachers there really want? We keep hearing it's "about the kids", yet I've seen no specific reform proposals from teachers which lifts the level education for the kids.
And THAT is my frustration with it. Nobody wants to change, nobody wants a fire lit under their ass. And I'm not talking about just teachers. Let's put some skin in the game for these parents. Want that child tax credit? Better make sure little Johnny doesn't miss X amount of days. But what parent will be for that? The main argument I've heard about year round schools is that the parents will have the same small window of time to take a vacation and either the beaches/campgrounds will be too crowded or not everyone will be able to get off work. Well, tough shit. Your child's education is more important than your vacation.

We're a comfortable, lethargic society. Change is uncomfortable, so nobody wants change.

typo what "if", dickweed

It's more than that.

It should be people who, not people that. It should also be charter schools, not charter school's. You do not use an apostrophe for a plural word showing no possession.

Seriously, you are attempting to argue with people over education when your grammar skills are on par with a 7th grader's.

Not to be argumentative, I'm legitimately curious.

What makes those charter schools damn good?

It's more than that.

It should be people who, not people that. It should also be charter schools, not charter school's. You do not use an apostrophe for a plural word showing no possession.

Seriously, you are attempting to argue with people over education when your grammar skills are on par with a 7th grader's.
went to school in WV. What do you expect? ;)

this is a very informal environment. i really don't care.

Not to be argumentative, I'm legitimately curious.

What makes those charter schools damn good?
Some, not all. Just like public schools. Really, I would say it boils down to smaller classes, more focused learning, and they are tied down by the big bureaucracy.

This has been discussed here as well. I think studies show a backslide of retention after the summer months off. I don’t doubt that. I’d like to see those studies also test several months after school starts to see if the retention backslides eventually even out.

But again...the driver of opposition is coming from athletics, not the academic side.

I homeschool my four kids (currently 7th, 5th, 2nd, and K), but I'm on my local Elementary school's improvement council as a community leader and we were looking at some stats from the first semester and it showed three things relevant to this:

1) The summer lapse does in fact work itself out by the third week of school, however that means they don't actually get really get going full bore with grade level stuff until then.

2) By second grade there is no appreciable difference between kids who went to Head Start or K4 and those who didn't.

As a Title I school they get a lot of money from the State for remedial teachers and there doesn't seem to be a lot of bang for the State's buck.

Reactions: GK4Herd
I homeschool my four kids (currently 7th, 5th, 2nd, and K), but I'm on my local Elementary school's improvement council as a community leader and we were looking at some stats from the first semester and it showed three things relevant to this:

1) The summer lapse does in fact work itself out by the third week of school, however that means they don't actually get really get going full bore with grade level stuff until then.

2) By second grade there is no appreciable difference between kids who went to Head Start or K4 and those who didn't.

As a Title I school they get a lot of money from the State for remedial teachers and there doesn't seem to be a lot of bang for the State's buck.
I know you live in Charlotte so if you don’t mind me asking what schools are your kids zoned for?

More excuses. This simply isn't the case.
More excuses. This simply isn't the case.
is that seriously an excuse they use up there?
WV is a weird place, guys. You should have seen my social media feed over the last week. The same people who are hardcore Trump supports hate Mitch Carmichael and the senate Republicans, love teachers, and "by god, my son/daughter won't be crossin' no picket line!"

But I should qualify my earlier statement about the year round schools. About a decade ago, it was being bounced around that kids would go three months (Sep-Nov), get a month off (Dec), go three months (Jan-Mar), get a month off (Apr), go three months, (May-Jul), get August off and then start the new school year when kids go back.

But, yes, sadly, a lot of parents I was surrounded with at that time (before social media took off, so mostly family, friends, & coworkers) were concerned that the state of WV could only vacation suring the April & August months.

I had the exact same experience. People would literally share some inane Pro Trump meme and then would change their Facebook profile picture to have the stand with 55 logo and then talk about how important the union was and how the Republicans didn't care about children.

Reactions: Sean Hammond

I have asked that same question about whether the gains realized by earlier preschool evens out at some point. My instinct tells me it does at some point.

Now I think that has more to do with the fact that the type of kids who go to Headstart and K4 are the kind of kids whose "parents" sign their children up for these kinds of programs are really looking for daycare at an earlier age and therefore the kids with engaged parents who don't go to those programs are involved in their children's education enough to make the gains go away.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Embarrassing pictures coming out of WV.
52520540_2321136941454683_1427767581548216320_n.jpg

Yeah, and last time I checked I work year round and don't get home until (at least) 6:00 pm every night. That's after getting to the office at 7:45 am. Never mind the after hours events I have to attend, the 3-4 hour work travel that gets me home at 10 pm sometimes, or the 3-4 nights in a row I have meetings out of town. Or the constant calls and texts over the weekend from my clients.

Yeah, I'm a banker.

Want a medal? Sounds like my wife’s schedule, who is a teacher by the way. If a person works hard at the job they have, a majority work brutal hours, many more than what most think.

Reactions: GK4Herd
Don't be a teacher. Problem solved.

Let's look at WV teachers.

Health insurance. Very low cost even for a family You all can look it up but we have anywhere from $28 for single up to a couple hundred bucks for a family.

Good retirement system.

I won't argue over the work hours. I am going to say the average teacher there probably works 35 hours a week(some more some less).

They get off for Christmas(a week or more). A week for deer season(thanksgiving). A week for spring break. Some other holiday.

Work 9 or 10 months.

And, you have arguably one of the worst education systems in the country with one of the lowest rates of college graduates.

You are protected and takes an act of Congress to get rid of you.

Your state is losing population and at least one generation of people. Who know how many.

And you want to belly ache.

Meanwhile Ga, South Carolina, NC, Tennessee, and Virginia just backed up another moving van of your people moving out.

Like many, you are clueless to what many teachers really do.
Trust me on this, In an earlier life, I worked with schools and the State Department of Education.
I can say the issues with education in WV are these - in Order -
1. State Dept of Education - it’s an unorganized shit show. Truly clueless and out of touch. If anything, the state should abolish this body and save the state millions.
2. Parents - worthless. My wife says her kids get more clueless each year. They are unable to perform the most simple tasks, no social skills, no manners or etiquette. Most of the parents never valued their education, so naturally little Johnny doesn’t give a shit either.
3. WV is #1 in the country for Grandparents raising their grandchildren.
Dads in jail, moms strung out on drugs. You name it.
4. Federal and state mandates that most schools have no hope to achieve without the time, equipment or staff needed.
Yeah, there are bad teachers, just like bad lawyers, bankers, sales reps, doctors etc.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Like many, you are clueless to what many teachers really do.
Trust me on this, In an earlier life, I worked with schools and the State Department of Education.
I can say the issues with education in WV are these - in Order -
1. State Dept of Education - it’s an unorganized shit show. Truly clueless and out of touch. If anything, the state should abolish this body and save the state millions.
2. Parents - worthless. My wife says her kids get more clueless each year. They are unable to perform the most simple tasks, no social skills, no manners or etiquette. Most of the parents never valued their education, so naturally little Johnny doesn’t give a shit either.
3. WV is #1 in the country for Grandparents raising their grandchildren.
Dads in jail, moms strung out on drugs. You name it.
4. Federal and state mandates that most schools have no hope to achieve without the time, equipment or staff needed.
Yeah, there are bad teachers, just like bad lawyers, bankers, sales reps, doctors etc.

My wife is a teacher and so was my mother.

So, yehhh. I think I know what goes on. I know the long hours that my wife works and the extra things she does. She is a great teacher and cares about the kids.

So, I know. WV is a circus show. Their education system. Their teachers union and the state government there has always been screwed up.

But, frankly, the wv teachers acting that way is embarrassing also.

Last edited:
Then write the law with those requirements in place. Tie their level of public funding to "qualifications".

That's not going to happen in most places, because of the nature of what the charters schools want. Which is "innovative non-traditional teachers", AKA people who are not qualified so they can be paid less, and religious people with no qualifications. And yes I am painting with a broad brush (and yes there are some great charter schools), because having witnessed what happened here in Indiana I have come to realize the shitbirds have the ear of legislators just as much as actual excellent, innovative institutions.

If you have an idea of how to get the shitbirds out of the statehouse (and the bar down the street), I am all ears.

I know of some damn good charter schools.

And I know some damn poor ones. Writing a lack of standards into legislation would seem to make either acceptable.

I had the exact same experience. People would literally share some inane Pro Trump meme and then would change their Facebook profile picture to have the stand with 55 logo and then talk about how important the union was and how the Republicans didn't care about children.

As we have previously discussed, most people are too dumb to be allowed to vote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT