ADVERTISEMENT

Will Hamrick Pay

Average fan - "How'd you guys do in football this season?"
Me: Had a solid year, went 9-4 with a bowl win.
Average fan: What bowl did you go to?
Me: Gasparilla
Average Fan: Don't know that one. Where is that and what is that? Who'd you play?

Point being. Both teams get to play in the post season. That's good. jmho.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Average fan - "How'd you guys do in football this season?"
Me: Had a solid year, went 9-4 with a bowl win.
Average fan: What bowl did you go to?
Me: Gasparilla
Average Fan: Don't know that one. Where is that and what is that? Who'd you play?

Point being. Both teams get to play in the post season. That's good. jmho.

Average Fan : "I didn't know there were other tournaments besides the NCAA and NIT?"
You: "Yeah, its for teams that didn't get selected to either of those."
Average Fan: "..."

Reactions: The Real SamC
Played in CIT:
Joe BF: So how did the Herd do last year?
Herd Fan: Lost in 2nd round of the tourney to Southern Miss. Played a couple games in the Collegeinsider tournament.
Joe BF: Oh yeah, is that one of those recycled tournaments for the teams who couldn't make it into the Not In Tournament? I'll bet fans weren't exactly thrilled?

Didn't Play in CIT:
Joe BF: So how did the Herd do last year?
Herd Fan: Lost in 2nd round of the tourney to Southern Miss. Could have played in the CIT or CBI, you know, one of those tourneys that are only attended and watched by the fans of the school or if there's nothing else playing on TV?
Joe BF: Shew...at least you didn't have to play in a meaningless postseason tournament! Nobody really blames you for that decision...kinda disappointing, from a fan perspective

At least try to make your conversations realistic and without clear bias. Here, I edited to show you the opposite direction the conversation could go.

Let's be clear, I'm not taking the stance of Sam or anyone else bashing the basketball program. Last year was historical. It's damn difficult for a program like ours to maintain seasons which are that successful.

It's disappointing we lost in the tourney, but these bullshit tourneys are the basketball equivalent of the Tim Horton's "Everything Bagel Bowl," on Sunday at midnight, because it's being played in California in front of empty bleachers, between two teams which barely became bowl eligible.

At least try to make your conversations realistic and without clear bias. Here, I edited to show you the opposite direction the conversation could go.

Let's be clear, I'm not taking the stance of Sam or anyone else bashing the basketball program. Last year was historical. It's damn difficult for a program like ours to maintain seasons which are that successful.

It's disappointing we lost in the tourney, but these bullshit tourneys are the basketball equivalent of the Tim Horton's "Everything Bagel Bowl," on Sunday at midnight, because it's being played in California in front of empty bleachers, between two teams which barely became bowl eligible.

No one is going to drag you to the game if you don't wanna go. Stay home.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Exactly. There is a group that, for reasons they cannot explain, expects to win every football game we play, and who then are so eaten up with AAC envy, or Boise State envy, that even that is considered not an accomplishment. But the same crowd if fine with a basketball team that wins a few, loses a few, doesn't really matter. Whatever. Its good enough.
That's because the football played at a very high level for 20 years. Basketball was a blob for nearly 30.

Thanks, I do believe that is what most will end up doing.

BTW, without looking it up, can you tell me who won the CIT last year? Yeah, me neither.
I actually looked it up earlier. Not to see who won, but just to see if this was actually a tournament.

I can.

Non-conference. Three step up games. Lost by 37 to a mid-pack Big 10 team, 36, could have been 100, to a very good ACC team that played its water boy, and 24 to an SEC bottom feeder. Five games against equal to CUSA leagues' teams. 2-3, including a 17 point beat down to an Ohio team that finished dead last in the MAC East. Conference: Easily handled by most of the good teams, slipped by ODU early. 11-7. Fifty point assream by a a mediocre USM which lost to a D II preacher's college. 19-14 overall, 6th in a conference where a third of the teams don't even try. Goes on this supposed "run" at the end that was a function of finishing in the middle pod in this stupid pod system and taking out those lightweights. Lose in the first full round of conf. tournament to the three seed. At least not by 50 again.

A steaming pile. A laughing stock. Out coached, out manned (which means out-recruited), and out hussled.

And there is no reason to believe next year will not be worse.

This program is going nowhere.
Just stop the stupidity. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT