ADVERTISEMENT

WV...

Herdstruck

Silver Buffalo
Apr 6, 2014
What's the future for this state?

Everyone seems all about coal because it supplies jobs...which is great, but has coal really helped WV? Considering the majority of the coal fields are absolutely miserable. Miserable because there's nothing there.
Not to mention Jim Justice has taken lots of his money out of Coal.

I'm trying to figure out is there another direction WV can take at this point to help itself?
If coal goes under, it'll mean doom for thousands of people...but it could also mean a spike in college enrollment.
Hell, even my friend, who is from Mingo, said if the mine near where he
lived hadn't shut down, he would've been mining and not at Marshall.
It could be a bittersweet ending...younger generations get an education, most who enjoy it here, stay here and try to make it better...instead of being so damn one-sided while a sophomore in HS,
"I really don't care about my grades or passing...cause my uncle's daddy's brother can get me a job in the coal mines."

I always thought Marshall and Huntington could move in a different direction...at the possibility of being disliked by all the crazy coal die-hards for something else, but established further in the future than other areas in the state who will stay on the coal train till it completely runs dry, panic, then wonder whats next.

Thoughts?

Honestly it is a necessary conversation. At some point, especially with strengthening regulations on emissions, the focus of the economy of the state probably needs to change. One thing the govt has the option of doing is providing a temporary tax haven. The idea behind it is to provide lower tax rates to encourage business to come in the area and they hopefully provide jobs and stay in the long run. I don't know that it could or should be a particular industry that dominates the area like coal has historically. Kind of like diversifying your economy. Just my overarching thoughts.

The state of WV has rarely ever made the right decision when it comes to business, which is why the state remains one of the poorest in the US. They relied too heavily on a dying source of energy and it shows. The ship has sailed on this state.

Been saying it for years and often got negative feedback. Many WV folks have had their head in the sand for years and ignoring the issue won't make it go away. There are no signs any politician will push to reverse the course as everyone wants to be "green" now. It's time to get on the bus or get ran over. As stated previously over the years there will be no miracle single source of replacement but a variety of fuel sources must take the place. Same goes for oil - there is a finite amount of oil and becoming more efficient would help. Most dont realize how inefficient we are even with todays standards and technology. Only 14%-30% (depending on the drive cycle) of the energy is actually utlized properly in gasoline. The rest is wasted.

If you don't work at "the coal mine" you AIN'T gonna make any money in WV unless you are highly educated (doctor, lawyer, etc.).......and even those jobs are going to dry up if coal jobs are depleted.
~
I saw where Proctor & Gamble is scheduled to build a facility in the northern panhandle......but we need those types of businesses and others spread throughout the state. I live in Beckley and we have I64, I77 and the US 19 routes with close access to many of the larger cities (Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.) and we don't have any businesses with large employment except Lowes, Wal-Mart, Raleigh General Hosp., Veterans Hosp., Appalachian Regional Hosp. & the Federal Courthouse.

Our younger people cannot thrive on jobs that only pay approx. $10-15 dollars an hour and pay rent or purchase a house, vehicle payment, insurance, groceries, utilities, etc. even with both husband & wife working.

I want to throw my .25 cent$ into this discussion. A few years ago, a frat brother of mine that was CEO of a major auto manufacturer had meetings with our government heads in Charleston. He had the power to have two auto plants built in Southern & Northern WV. The reply he received....NOT INTERESTED!

Near my hometown of Mt. Hope, the National/International Boy Scout Reserve is located. I had the pleasure to tour the Reserve last October. I said to our guide...."Why not Branson, Missouri East?" His reply, "We have approached Charleston about using this facility for Non-Boy Scout functions." Note, Boy Scout functions are held for about 4-weeks during the entire year. According to him...."still waiting for a decision from Charleston!"

TOURISM & NEW INDUSTRY are the answers for the re-invention of West Virginia...the state we LOVE! Our "powers to be" need to offer tax breaks to attract outside business to come to WV. We are known (at least we were when I lived in the Mountain state) for hard-working folks. This is a major part of the puzzle.

When I visit, I get depressed. I look at the sad faces and my heart breaks. God wants us all to "Be Cheerful". But I know when you are constantly beaten down with little hope for success...it has to be difficult to wear a smile on your face.

I am 68 years old, blessed by good genes.....but damn, living in North Carolina has helped me to not age like my friends in West Virginia. Folks say I look like I'm in my 50s......they look like they are nearing their 70s. Why? Being unhappy, receiving top health care, the opportunity to make a good living---helps to keep you younger! Unhappiness will age you!

My prayer is for West Virginia to return to the state she was in the 1950s----1970s.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (G. Sweeney)

This post was edited on 2/23 7:51 AM by CarolinaHerdZilla22

STOP MOVING AWAY

THE GRASS IS GREENER WHERE YOU WATER IT

I made it a point to live in my hometown of Huntington. Stop being negative and get back here. So tired of reading negative diatribes from those that moved away.

Originally posted by Dunk#7:
STOP MOVING AWAY

I made it a point to live in my hometown of Huntington. Stop being negative and get back here. So tired of reading negative diatribes from those that moved away.
I understand the point you're trying to make here, to a degree, but it's not this simple. I worked in retail throughout college and for a couple of years afterwards and there's often no upward mobility there beyond "store manager" positions. As such, I sent my resume out to well over 100 different companies in the general area and I ended up with a railroad who moved me to Florida at a salary almost 50% higher than I'd been making in retail plus railroad benefits and no FL state income tax.

Based on your point, I should have turned that job offer down to find something local just so I can help improve the area's economy?

There's just nothing in the general area worth staying for, from a jobs perspective. Mining, retail, and various minimum wage jobs are all that's available in southern WV specifically.

One aspect hurting southern WV in particular is that it can be difficult/costly to get to/from. If you're talking a manufacturing industry, yes, there are many major roads that intersect in the Beckley area, but there are considerable fuel costs to get to/from the area in trucks coming up the mountains. As many have pointed out, the state hasn't been very helpful either.

The difference for the eastern panhandle and norther portions of the state is that they are easier to get to/from and are closer to major population centers (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, etc. Baltimore/DC has a major positive impact on the eastern panhandle).

For southern WV, it really is a 'chicken or the egg' type thing. Nobody can stay because there are no decent paying jobs, but how are decent paying industries expected to locate here when it's a dwindling population of good workers. Also factor in the age range of our state. WV has the 3rd oldest median age and the 38th largest population in the U.S. and basically one major industry. Those numbers just don't add up for a positive future job market unless state government recognizes the reality that they need to do something innovative to attract industry - and DIVERSE industries, not just one more big one to replace the previous one big one (coal).

Relying on coal, heavy unionization, heavily taxing business and the "I got mine, and you can't have any" attitude of some business people who are in the county and state government has killed the state.

My company wanted to bring our manufacturing back to Huntington from China three years ago. We approached state officials about help getting the process started and any incentives they can provide, they had none and had no idea if there ever were any incentives. They were pretty much clueless.

We approached Ohio, they had a ton of programs for new jobs and job creation. Made the WV officials look pretty stupid.

Originally posted by Always The Herd:
If you don't work at "the coal mine" you AIN'T gonna make any money in WV unless you are highly educated (doctor, lawyer, etc.).......and even those jobs are going to dry up if coal jobs are depleted.
~
I saw where Proctor & Gamble is scheduled to build a facility in the northern panhandle.

Actually the P&G plant will be built in Martinsburg, not the northern panhandle.
For the past 2-3 years I worked in that part of the state, (Martinsburg, eastern panhandle) and they are booming over there. They keep building bigger and bigger high schools to take care of all the students.
When I first went over there I was amazed how that area was unlike any other in WV.

Originally posted by Herdmeister:
~
I saw where Proctor & Gamble is scheduled to build a facility in the northern panhandle.

Actually the P&G plant will be built in Martinsburg, not the northern panhandle.
For the past 2-3 years I worked in that part of the state, (Martinsburg, eastern panhandle) and they are booming over there. They keep building bigger and bigger high schools to take care of all the students.
When I first went over there I was amazed how that area was unlike any other in WV.
In a past job, I had a customer located in Martinsburg and you're right. It's crazy how different that part of the state is from the rest. One of the guys working at my then-customer said that Martinsburg was starting to benefit from growing into the DC suburb area, as crazy as that sounds. He said Martinsburg was the last commuter train stop for the DC metro area and a lot of people that work in DC love how nice and quiet it is that far out.

I encouraged my kids to leave for college and never come back, as much as I would like to see them more often they need to be somewhere where their abilities can be developed and rewarded.

Originally posted by Herdon2:
When Walmart is the states largest employer...that's not good.
Walmart is the largest private employer in the US, so.......

Originally posted by Dunk#7:
STOP MOVING AWAY

OK, and do what? Work at WalMart?

I met with a middle school client one time...and he was on probation. I asked him,
"So why did you get on probation to begin with?"

He replied,
"Cause there's nothing to do out here. If there was more to do or places to go, I really wouldn't have gotten into trouble."
This was in Lincoln County.

I was amazed...alright youthful idiocy aside...the mere fact that there's a lack of anything really shows what the state is becoming. I wrote a paper on the Psychological Effects of Solitary Confinement...and came to find out, lack of any stimulus of any kind, makes you go insane. I guess the same concept could be applied to an entire lifestyle.

I just wonder if anyone (Marshall/Huntington or ANYONE for that matter) is going to stand up against their state's "head in the sand mindset" and move entirely forward in a new direction...

Would the state even support such a thing? Alright, maybe Charleston, a "I wish we were a real state capitol" may not move in a new direction, but would they support anyone who will?

My dad used to do a lot of business in North Carolina and Maryland (We lived in Northern VA), and said WV was the hardest place to do any business in...because WV doesn't like outsiders.

MY friend from Boone County and I were passing South Ridge in Charleston...it's become a haven for people in the Alum Creek and other areas...to just hang out and "be in." He said, "When I was growing up, there was nothing here" and we saw just how many people stopped in to either eat or shop...Home Depot, Cabela's, Wal Mart, and every eatery you could imagine was there...and it always had people driving in and out of there.

I just don't get how a state could literally allow itself to deteriorate the way WV is. I always said Huntington has potential for itself. It may not be Las Vegas or Chicago potential, but it can certainly make headway.
Build up run down areas with attractive means and allow them to be marketed through word of mouth and advertising in general.
That's why I think whomever is president of the university, is going to be VERY crucial because of what the city and school can do to move in a direction that allows not only growth, but security that its going to be a long lasting one.

I saw where Proctor & Gamble is scheduled to build a facility in the northern panhandle......but we need those types of businesses and others spread throughout the state. I live in Beckley and we have I64, I77 and the US 19 routes with close access to many of the larger cities (Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.) and we don't have any businesses with large employment except Lowes, Wal-Mart, Raleigh General Hosp., Veterans Hosp., Appalachian Regional Hosp. & the Federal Courthouse.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P & G is building a major manufacturing facility in Berkeley County near Martinsburg next to I-81 - that is the eastern panhandle. One thousand jobs but that is not happening today.

But the subject here is coal mining and the West Virginia version of a "one trick pony" lies in the history of coal mining in this state. Mine workers were exploited by the coal companies, by the UMWU, and by our politicians, mostly Democrats - although my Mom's friend, Arch Moore, was a Republican. West Virginia has the sad distinction of being the last place in America where the citizenry formed armies and took up arms against one another. And West Virginia is heading for more sorrow in the War Against Coal. Coal jobs are gone forever and they won't be back. Check out this piece on the forlorn times in McDowell County.

"We didn't lose the coal . . ."

Originally posted by Herdon2:
When Walmart is the states largest employer...that's not good.
I think walmart is one of the largest employers in the nation...which probably isn't that good either.

The problem of economies based on mineral extraction is that they are often subject to boom & busts. Right now, the demand for coal is low, primarily not because of regulation, but because of the recent availability of natural gas. Furthermore, about 10-15 years ago more coal than ever was being shipped out of WV & KY, but with far few (far fewer high wage) jobs employed to extract the coal.

Huntington has the potential to really turn around with the maturation of the engineering & biotech programs. But the local civic & university leadership has to be proactive in incubating the start-ups & relocations that such programs can foster.
This post was edited on 2/23 5:59 PM by elginherd

The issue with the Boy Scout camp was that the BSA wanted an amendment to allow them, and only them, to run for profit events while staying a non-profit. You can't have it both ways.

Below is an excerpt from a story in the State Journal.

"The referendum being proposed this year is backed heavily by the Boy Scouts of America and would amend the state constitution to specifically benefit the Summit Bechtel Reserve in Fayette County in order for the Scouts to operate for-profit ventures on the property - while also maintaining a 501(c)3 (non-profit) status.

The organization would continue to be tax exempt, and nothing would change its current non-profit tax status if the amendment were to pass."

http://www.statejournal.com/story/26626268/boy-scouts-hope-constitutional-amendment-is-adopted

That is correct, WalMart is West Virginia's largest (private) employer. If you do not own your own business or have a solid education, your in the mines or on the railroad in some capacity. They both are good money, honest living, but risky.

when I finished my degree in the summer of 1996, I had spent 3-4 months applying for open positions everywhere. In the safety field I saw 3 entry level positions open in WV during that period. and I graduated with 12 others at the time with a maters degree and about 25 others with Bachelor's degrees. Between that and listening to others talk while they were finishing in earlier years and looking for a job, I saw the writing on the wall and ended up here in TX.

Would I come back, yes if there was a job for me in my field and at even close to the prevailing compensation for my experience. knowledge and certifications. And I am currently looking. In the few months I have been looking I have not seen a single HSE position open in WV, several in KY and OH though.

Man, TwoIfHerdfan, the story about bringing back jobs to West Virginia from China makes it sound like your company is trying very hard to extort taxpayers, - who did nothing to influence the decision to take manufacturing overseas in the first place. It is called Corporate Welfare and it amounts to a shifting of tax burden.

I categorize this blackmail attempt as exploitative - and I put these corporate managers in the devious category. They are not getting out of China for economic reasons - that is for sure. So let me guess that quality and inability to control things like inventory just might be the problem. But whatever the problem, WV taxpayers did not cause it and should not be looked upon to pay for it.

Clueless - I don't think so.

Reality:

- But for the EP, WV would have joined Michigan as the only states to lose population, 2000-2010 Censuses.

- The EP is growing IN SPITE of being in WV, not because of ANYTHING to corrupt, trial lawyer and union boss controlled government has done.

- MOST of WV is a basic function of geography. Find a county, in WV or outside of it, with the topography of the ultra-depressed coal counties, but without any coal. What is there? Virtually NOTHING. No one much lives there. The land cannot support it. Just a few marginal farmers and the local infrastructure. That is what, but for the blessing of coal, what places like Mingo, McDowell, etc, would have always been.

- This is why all this "Reconnect McDowell" and all of that is so much political ho-ha. It won't work. It cannot work.

- And the smart people know that. And they, through hard work and hard decisions, L E A V E. Leave for Charlotte, leave for the normal part of WV, leave for Texas. Leave.

- But? But rural WV still has too many people. And not a random group. A group that self-selects itself to remain in places where there will never be jobs. Subsidized by others.

- And? WV needs to make tough decisions. Most of the state simply needs to be written off. You are not going to "Reconnect McDowell". Rather, adjust social policies to simply DRIVE AWAY the remaining layabouts.

- Leaving? The few parts of WV that are more like other places. The I-64 corridor more than any other place. Free of the One Party Government, good laws and social policies will make it bloom again. But that is all. WV, 2040, is a state of about 1M people. That is what it is.

The Real SamC......

You stated: "MOST of WV is a basic function of geography. Find a county, in WV or outside of it, with the topography of the ultra-depressed coal counties, but without any coal. What is there? Virtually NOTHING. No one much lives there. The land cannot support it. Just a few marginal farmers and the local infrastructure. That is what, but for the blessing of coal, what places like Mingo, McDowell, etc, would have always been".

FYI......there are no mines located in Summers County, WV.

Originally posted by RedParallax:

Originally posted by Herdmeister:

~

In a past job, I had a customer located in Martinsburg and you're right. It's crazy how different that part of the state is from the rest. One of the guys working at my then-customer said that Martinsburg was starting to benefit from growing into the DC suburb area, as crazy as that sounds. He said Martinsburg was the last commuter train stop for the DC metro area and a lot of people that work in DC love how nice and quiet it is that far out.
Housing in Martinsburg is much higher than most anyplace in WV but far cheaper than northern Va or DC Maryland suburbs.

Economies are really a very basic thing. For the economy of a state to improve you have to attract capital from outside of the state's borders to be invested inside the state's borders. With its extraction based economy, WV has been the exact opposite of that for over 100 years. The key to prosperity isn't getting some company to build a plant here. The key is to have the home office of the company. The high paying jobs and corporate profits flow to the home office. If a company is selling its product around the world then money from around the world flows into your state in the form of those corporate profits.

The odds of luring a Fortune 500 company to WV is as close to zero as you can get and the state is currently home to exactly zero of the country's top 500 companies. If you don't have any, and can't attract any, what do you do? You dedicate all the resources you can to grow businesses in the state, but do it with a very targeted approach based on the industries you want to grow. You develop tax programs that strongly incentivize growth, capital investment, and retention of home office location within the state. You incentivize relocation of corporate HQs to the state. You won't get P&G, but every corporate HQ in the top 3,000 brings immense value.

We are experiencing the opposite. There have been several acquisitions of WV companies, especially in the service industries, over the past few years. Take a law firm like Huddleston Bolen that recently announced a "merger" with Dinsmore. Yes, all the attorneys will still be here and working, but the firm's profits will now be shipped out of state and they will use that money to grow their franchise in places outside WV. This is the kind of stuff we need to work on stopping.

FYI......there are no mines located in Summers County, WV.

And?

The land supports only 13K people. And not really that, because 34% of those there are supported by subsidies.

I don't get the point of the cite.

Charlotte and Atlanta are awesome.. can you blame anyone? I moved here to Charlotte in 98 and havent looked back. Sure the traffic stinks but you get used to it.. but i love it here and so does almost everyone who moves here. Charlotte also is back to being one of the BEST places for jobs in the entire country and unemployment went from ~12% when the economy went sour to back under 6% or so.

Originally posted by herdgadfly:
Man, TwoIfHerdfan, the story about bringing back jobs to West Virginia from China makes it sound like your company is trying very hard to extort taxpayers, - who did nothing to influence the decision to take manufacturing overseas in the first place. It is called Corporate Welfare and it amounts to a shifting of tax burden.

I categorize this blackmail attempt as exploitative - and I put these corporate managers in the devious category. They are not getting out of China for economic reasons - that is for sure. So let me guess that quality and inability to control things like inventory just might be the problem. But whatever the problem, WV taxpayers did not cause it and should not be looked upon to pay for it.

Clueless - I don't think so.
You have no clue. It was not an attempt to extort money. It was an attempt to find out what was needed to shift manufacturing to WV from China. The WV State officials were idiots and could not help with the smallest of tasks. I sat in on the meetings in our conference room. The guys that were here should have been working for Walmart. Before you judge, you need to know what you are speaking of ace.

Even if we did try to gain some short term tax breaks, you think we're the first to ever try that, which we didn't. You are against incentives to bring business and jobs to WV? You are against training programs to help WV citizens obtain necessary job skills to be employable by specific industries? Guess so. WOW!

Ohio has a slew of programs and seems to have served them well.

This post was edited on 2/24 9:12 AM by TwolfHerdfan

with the amount of natural resources harvested from WV over the last 100+ years the state should easily be one of the wealthiest most prosperous in the US. however, when 90% of all money made from said resources are funneled out of the state you end up with the current situation. add to that the tax breaks these businesses get and you basically have funded the raping of WV for over a century...

also to blame are West Virginians. we have all grown up with the mentality that the old ways are the only ways. we fear outsiders, and it is blasphemy to even think an ill thought against the coal industry. the legislative system is the very definition of "good ol boy" and has overseen this entire process. when will this change? i used to think when my generation came of age and replaced the previous. the aging population has ensured the old guard remains...

Herdstruck posted "I always thought Marshall and Huntington could move in a different direction...at the possibility of being disliked by all the crazy coal die-hards for something else, but established further in the future than other areas in the state who will stay on the coal train till it completely runs dry, panic, then wonder whats next." What are your suggestions/solutions to this situation? You offer criticism but nothing else.

Well...that's kind of the point of this thread...I don't have all the answers. I wanted others to chime in because the state, if you like it or not, is going to have to shift in a new direction...and I wanted to know what people thought that direction should be.

I may have some ideas...

I had been saying for months, to revamp the riverfront area. Why? It keeps people here...it offers a scenic view of the river. It also shows that the city is actually utilizing their area for the maximum benefit.

Get Marshall on board with another major natural resource company...Marathon Oil or GE or someone...anyone. Somebody to collaborate with...to say,
Marathon-"We will be needing jobs in this field for the next 15 years..."
Marshall-"Alright. What qualifications would be needed?"
Marathon-"Here's a list..."
Marshall-"Great. However, we'll need some funding...build us a facility (we will also help get bonds) and we can teach students this kind of specialty...after 4 years, they'll go out and work for you directly?"
Marathon-"Cool deal."

If Marathon or someone like them were smart, they'd be able to avoid lots of accidents and mishaps since they'd essentially supply the curriculum for Marshall to educate potential employees with. It's also give Marshall a footprint in a major company and building a relationship with them would be key for that company to possibly bring a presence to the city or surrounding area. Then again, the city would have to be on board with this and I think Steve Williams would be.
That's just one idea.
It's not perfect but nothing ever is.

Huntington needs to find out what is of value here. Manufacturing jobs aren't what they used to be...alright...go in a separate direction. Possibly even market the river as a tourist attraction.
This is where someone like Jim Justice (who's taken all his money or most of it, out of the mines and into the Greenbrier) would be perfect for. No wannabe donald trump slumlords like some in Huntington...a REAL developer.
Give him land to build upon...near the river...for a hotel and casino. Yes, a casino. The riverboats would go to major cities like Pittsburgh and Louisville...bring people in for a weekend of gambling and stuff...then ferry them back home on the river. It'd be a great spring/summer sent of events.
The river also hosted the NASCAR of boats, which was petty fun if you watched it. Imagine stepping that up a notch? Holy crap!
I always said a big ass ferris wheel should be on the river...it's just be something for people to come here and do for a weekend...AND THAT IS THE KEY.
If people come to something, they're gonna wanna take advantage...if companies and businesses see that people are flocking to an area often...they're going to want to set up shop there.

That's why I can't believe some idiots on here are against or just completely giving up on a Riverfront idea.

There was once talks with the FBI for an aquatic training facility here...I don't know what happened with that...but if the land were actually developed I wonder if they'd consider trying again.

I'd also set up a DEA branch office here...their mere presence alone, would keep Detroit OUT of Huntington...I'd burn down the Greyhound bus depot as well...I'd make the gamblers come on the boats...where security would be a little tighter...than allow drug dealers in.
I'd make the presence on the highways going in and out of the city strict and even discriminate Michigan tags for "random" stops and searches...I don't care...nobody could really prove I was discriminating against Michigan, but I would be...and our reputation as being total di.ckheads to Detroit drug dealers would get back to them and risk of driving 6+ hours getting pulled over with no bus anymore, wouldn't be worth it...especially with the DEA around.

Finally,

Just research.
Other cities have been in some dire straits and come out ahead...we need to find one (and Marshall should too for their school, I nominate Kansas State) to shape and mold ourselves after.

Any forward thinking suggestions are welcomed. I think this thread is an important one and not just because I wrote it, but it's something of a serious issue we'll be facing soon.

I agree 100% andy.

There was some contest a while back...where one town in WV would be revitalized...someone would come in and totally update the place and give it a makeover.

People just had to vote.
Several who left a comment said something like,

"My town doesn't deserve it. I grew up in _______, WV and all the townspeople did was watch the place rot. Even when, 5 years ago, there was talks of redeveloping the downtown area...people voted against it...and now it's totally ruined."

I mean, you get it on here with some who are against uniform changes, white outs, and other...you know..."modern" things...for simple things.
It's not like you have to change your entire identity...and that scares WVians. Personally, WV SHOULD change their identity. I'm sure they're sick of being compared to hillbillies and inbreds...thanks Whites of Boone County.
Funny thing, I was in Mingo...was talking to this girl...and when I told her friend I was from Virginia, her brother said,
"Oh, Virginia? Yeah, the better Virginia went West!!! Haha! Virginia sucks!"
He meant it too.
I sat there...grinned...looked back at him and said,

"You're right. West Virginia IS better than Virginia...you're better at;

Being unemployed. Broke. Asking others to pay for your stuff. Not doing anything for yourself. Doing Heroin and drugs. Being fat. Having heart attacks and not having an education."
Silence. Guy couldn't say a word back. It's truth and even he knew it.

I then said,
"Oh yeah, go ahead...tell me about how much WVians 'love' their state...they love it so much they're moving away..."
Again...nothing.

It's sad.

Even when Marshall wants to move in a direction another school like ohio state or Virginia Tech or someone does...there's so many on here who are against it because they think it'll abandon some "tradition" we've had.
They apply this to literally EVERYTHING ELSE in their lives...as though the $20,000 a year family business is somehow a tradition...situated next to Wal Mart.
I don't get why so many people were for saving the Morris Building. Why? That place should've burned down to ashes...I wish it had. Cause then someone would've come in and built a beautiful NEW building...something attractive.
When the Veterans Field House was torn down...people on here were against it...so were the old veterans who "supported" it by showing up one day to protest...and NOT putting a dime back into the place.
What happened with it? A beautiful FIFA approved soccer field that can host multiple state and tri-state tournaments...which would bring in lots of money to the local economy.
Imagine if the old farts won...what would the field house bring in? 304 Wrestling shows for maybe 100 people watching all local people?? Come on.

Hell the WV building...should also go down. Looks great on the inside so I'm told...still has the same 100 year old structure which isn't good and luxury apartments...but the exterior that happens to face Marshall and the WV side...is the ugliest goddamn thing ever...because instead of tearing down the fuc.king thing and re-building a better, nicer, and modern WV building, they decided to "keep the old look" because the old farts are going to certainly want to move in...right?
No.
So ya keep the old building and put on 3 out of 4 sections, pretty LED lights...too bad the student body...you know...CANT SEE THEM FROM THEIR SIDE.
Could've re-built the whole thing...put LED lights on 4 sides and the thing actually looks amazing.
It's little crap like that which really just makes WV so laughably bad.

WV right now is that person who wants so badly to go skydiving but when they're about to jump, is clinging for dear life to not go...begging and pleading with the guy to not jump...
Someone just needs to give WV a swift forward kick in the ass so they'll experience change and see what they're missing.

I mean this is a mindset of people that has existed here for a long time...who the hell founded WV anyway? I mean they really must've been the bullied kid in school who now is in charge of two things...Jack and Sh.it and Jack left town...not a clue in the world on how to grow or even run your damn state.

Originally posted by Herdstruck:
Well...that's kind of the point of this thread...I don't have all the answers. I wanted others to chime in because the state, if you like it or not, is going to have to shift in a new direction...and I wanted to know what people thought that direction should be.

I may have some ideas...

I had been saying for months, to revamp the riverfront area. Why? It keeps people here...it offers a scenic view of the river. It also shows that the city is actually utilizing their area for the maximum benefit.

Get Marshall on board with another major natural resource company...Marathon Oil or GE or someone...anyone. Somebody to collaborate with...to say,
Marathon-"We will be needing jobs in this field for the next 15 years..."
Marshall-"Alright. What qualifications would be needed?"
Marathon-"Here's a list..."
Marshall-"Great. However, we'll need some funding...build us a facility (we will also help get bonds) and we can teach students this kind of specialty...after 4 years, they'll go out and work for you directly?"
Marathon-"Cool deal."

If Marathon or someone like them were smart, they'd be able to avoid lots of accidents and mishaps since they'd essentially supply the curriculum for Marshall to educate potential employees with. It's also give Marshall a footprint in a major company and building a relationship with them would be key for that company to possibly bring a presence to the city or surrounding area. Then again, the city would have to be on board with this and I think Steve Williams would be.
That's just one idea.
It's not perfect but nothing ever is.

Huntington needs to find out what is of value here. Manufacturing jobs aren't what they used to be...alright...go in a separate direction. Possibly even market the river as a tourist attraction.
This is where someone like Jim Justice (who's taken all his money or most of it, out of the mines and into the Greenbrier) would be perfect for. No wannabe donald trump slumlords like some in Huntington...a REAL developer.
Give him land to build upon...near the river...for a hotel and casino. Yes, a casino. The riverboats would go to major cities like Pittsburgh and Louisville...bring people in for a weekend of gambling and stuff...then ferry them back home on the river. It'd be a great spring/summer sent of events.
The river also hosted the NASCAR of boats, which was petty fun if you watched it. Imagine stepping that up a notch? Holy crap!
I always said a big ass ferris wheel should be on the river...it's just be something for people to come here and do for a weekend...AND THAT IS THE KEY.
If people come to something, they're gonna wanna take advantage...if companies and businesses see that people are flocking to an area often...they're going to want to set up shop there.

That's why I can't believe some idiots on here are against or just completely giving up on a Riverfront idea.

There was once talks with the FBI for an aquatic training facility here...I don't know what happened with that...but if the land were actually developed I wonder if they'd consider trying again.

I'd also set up a DEA branch office here...their mere presence alone, would keep Detroit OUT of Huntington...I'd burn down the Greyhound bus depot as well...I'd make the gamblers come on the boats...where security would be a little tighter...than allow drug dealers in.
I'd make the presence on the highways going in and out of the city strict and even discriminate Michigan tags for "random" stops and searches...I don't care...nobody could really prove I was discriminating against Michigan, but I would be...and our reputation as being total di.ckheads to Detroit drug dealers would get back to them and risk of driving 6+ hours getting pulled over with no bus anymore, wouldn't be worth it...especially with the DEA around.

Finally,

Just research.
Other cities have been in some dire straits and come out ahead...we need to find one (and Marshall should too for their school, I nominate Kansas State) to shape and mold ourselves after.

Any forward thinking suggestions are welcomed. I think this thread is an important one and not just because I wrote it, but it's something of a serious issue we'll be facing soon.
Very well thought out post. I do want to point out, and I'm sure you're aware that all the casinos in WV are located at race tracks with the exception of the Greenbrier. Not sure if the legislature would make another exception. Of course if Jim Justice was spearheading the project, I'd like our chances.

Originally posted by mubaseballking:
The issue with the Boy Scout camp was that the BSA wanted an amendment to allow them, and only them, to run for profit events while staying a non-profit. You can't have it both ways.

Below is an excerpt from a story in the State Journal.

"The referendum being proposed this year is backed heavily by the Boy Scouts of America and would amend the state constitution to specifically benefit the Summit Bechtel Reserve in Fayette County in order for the Scouts to operate for-profit ventures on the property - while also maintaining a 501(c)3 (non-profit) status.

The organization would continue to be tax exempt, and nothing would change its current non-profit tax status if the amendment were to pass."

http://www.statejournal.com/story/26626268/boy-scouts-hope-constitutional-amendment-is-adopted
I am not opposed to making a change to where the BSA could keep their 501(c)(3) status while still using this property for other means. As someone mentioned this would allow them to use the grounds for many other activities for the majority of the year and that should bring in additional tourism and money to the state. HOWEVER, I also believe that any revenues should be taxed as unrelated business income tax (UBIT). UBIT is a tax on non-profit organizations when they create sales that is not related to their tax exempt purpose. I believe this would be a win-win because the BSA could make additional revenue and would likely come out ahead with income, however, the state would still see some tax revenue from this idea. Thoughts?

Until you change the mindset of WVians from 1975 to 2015, things will never change and anyone with sense will leave the state and no corporations will come into the state. The fact that WV has one of the highest dropout rates and lowest college graduate rates in the country doesn't help things.

Another problem is most people in WV have never worked for a Big corporation. I am not talking 10,000 employees... i am talking top 100 company. People think they know what corporate america wants when they have no clue. Folks who work for a community or regional bank have no idea what a top tier bank is ran like. Many brag about their accomplishments and degrees but that doesnt always translate into the big picture of understanding big corporate america. Similar to the old saying about walking in others shoes... until you have been there you have no idea. It isnt all glorious either.... it has its pros and cons. Corporations look for incentives and other reasons. Many times it is the almighty dollar. We look at the wages, the cost to operate there (that includes MULTIPLE sublevels), and also the talent pool. WV according to studies doesn't have alot of talent - the talent leaves.

Originally posted by huntersdl2007:

Another problem is most people in WV have never worked for a Big corporation. I am not talking 10,000 employees... i am talking top 100 company. People think they know what corporate america wants when they have no clue. Folks who work for a community or regional bank have no idea what a top tier bank is ran like. Many brag about their accomplishments and degrees but that doesnt always translate into the big picture of understanding big corporate america. Similar to the old saying about walking in others shoes... until you have been there you have no idea. It isnt all glorious either.... it has its pros and cons. Corporations look for incentives and other reasons. Many times it is the almighty dollar. We look at the wages, the cost to operate there (that includes MULTIPLE sublevels), and also the talent pool. WV according to studies doesn't have alot of talent - the talent leaves.
Big corporations about kissing a*s and playing the game. West Virginian's are not good at kissing a** and not speaking their mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT