ADVERTISEMENT

You Know It's a Bad Year for wvu...

Jesus, your posts keep getting dumber and dumber. You claim he left for job security of $4 million/year, even though that is what he is owed at wvu. Now, you claim that he left because Lyons didn't want him as your coach, but if he beat Okie State, he would have stayed. Would winning one game - not even a conference championship game - have suddenly made Lyons want him as their coach? Of course not. So why would that have swayed Holgo's mind? It would have still resulted in him getting the same amount of money (about $4 million/year over the next three) and Lyons still wouldn't have liked him.

Nothing I have posted in this thread would be considered insider information or anything gleaned from a source like Scoop. It is simply mocking you for pathetic and illogical excuses. In other words, you fail again.

Ohhh, but had he won just one more game, against Okie State, he would have stayed according to the other moron. See how absurd your excuses are?

If he had been fired after next season, he would have been owed close to $5 million (his contract stipulates 60% of the remaining amount owed to him).

Adding next season's salary and assuming he would be fired after next season, he would have walked away with around $8.3 million for working just next year! And you claim he walked away from that for "job security" and because he knew Lyons didn't like him? Pffft!

Let me restate that to show just how dumb your excuses are: if he were to be fired after next season, he would earn around $8.3 million just for coaching next season (his $3.5 million salary for next season plus 60% of what is owed to him over the next two seasons). Let me dumb that down for you: that's an average of $8.3 million for one year. Yet you walked away from that in order to go work for an average of $4 million/year? Nope.

What the fvck does any of that have to do with what I posted? Why quote my post when your response has absolutely nothing to do with it?

I’m going to try to simplify this for you one more time. I honestly don’t know why you’re coming at me like this. I’m a supporter of Marshall anytime they’re not playing WVU. I traveled to and stayed in Huntington for a game this past season. I usually couldn’t care less what your opinion is, as I know you are always going to try to paint WVU in a negative light and I know my information is credible. However, I get sick of seeing the garbage and lies you post on here about my alma mater.

Shane Lyons was going to offer DH a contract extension at the end of the 2015 season, then we played Kansas State in Manhattan. They had to move a WR to be an emergency QB because of injuries I believe and were still able to get a win. We decided to kick to Morgan Burns, after he almost broke a KO return earlier in the game and was known as a talented returner. He had a 90+ yard KO return for a TD that ended up winning the game.

Now you’re going to say no AD would make a decision on a HC because of 1 game. What I’m trying to stress here is that Shane was never fully sold on Holgs, and this just was seen a failure to prepare and execute at a critical time in the season. Lyons offered an extension in the years of the contract, but no increase in the buyout. Holgorsen rejected the contract offer.

Going into the last year of his contract in 2016, he doubled down and bet on himself and his team. It paid off as WVU went 10-2 in the regular season and Holgorsen agreed to a 5 year contract extension through the 2021 season. Lyons had to offer this extension, as it would be detrimental to the program to let a coach who won 10 games walk.

Grier got hurt and we went 7-6 last year, but returned almost everyone for this past season. It was the year we had to AT LEAST make the Big 12 Championship Game. We were 8-1 going into Stillwater as heavy favorites. There had been talks about another extension and Holgorsen was interested in staying, but then the wheels fell off. We let a 17 point lead in the second half slip away and then lost to OU to end the regular season. From that point on Shane wasn’t interested in any contract that wasn’t slanted heavily in favor of WVU. Holgorsen lost interest and knew next year would be make-or-break for his future in Morgantown and we were losing out top 4 offensive weapons and our top defender.

He then began talking to UH through Spav and other backchannels. Fertitta knew they needed to get rid of Applewhite and make a splash hire. He offered, by far, the most lucrative Group of 5 contract in history for both DH and his assistants. The big thing though is most of the $20 million contract is guaranteed. Even if Holgs would have made it through the last three years that were left on his contract, $12 million is not = $20 million. The more likely option would have been he would have underperformed for Lyons and Gee’s standards and would have been let go. I’d have to look, but his buyout would have been between $4-5 million plus the $4 million he’d be paid for the 2018 season. Again, $8-9 million is not $20 million.

WVU was definitely interested at keeping Holgorsen AT ONE POINT during the season. After the last two regular season losses, Lyons was happy to call Holgorsen’s bluff and let him walk and pay WVU. The bowl game was just an exclamation point on situation that had occurred over the last two months.

Here are a few quotes from an ESPN article:

“Sources told ESPN that Holgorsen had come to a stalemate in negotiations with the school over a contract extension. The point of contention was Holgorsen's desire for additional guaranteed years on his contract and a larger buyout. West Virginia, having just given him a five-year extension following 2016, wasn't willing to meet all of Holgorsen's demands.”

“After talks stalled between Holgorsen and West Virginia, there was an opportunity for him to move. Holgorsen had spent eight years in Morgantown and was losing most of the key players from what was his most talented team. Star quarterback Will Grier and receiver David Sills V, among others, won't be around.”

Last edited:
Ollie misfired with Holgy, BUT.....
He banished the Raeseites from the Athletic Department
Told Manchin to take a hike
Got WVU in the last lifeboat when the SS Big East sank
Signed the multi million dollar deal with IMG
Pulled the plug on the football and basketball series with Marshall

Reactions: countryroads89
I’m going to try to simplify this for you one more time. I honestly don’t know why you’re coming at me like this. I’m a supporter of Marshall anytime they’re not playing WVU. I traveled to and stayed in Huntington for a game this past season. I usually couldn’t care less what your opinion is, as I know you are always going to try to paint WVU in a negative light and I know my information is credible. However, I get sick of seeing the garbage and lies you post on here about my alma mater.

Shane Lyons was going to offer DH a contract extension at the end of the 2015 season, then we played Kansas State in Manhattan. They had to move a WR to be an emergency QB because of injuries I believe and were still able to get a win. We decided to kick to Morgan Burns, after he almost broke a KO return earlier in the game and was known as a talented returner. He had a 90+ yard KO return for a TD that ended up winning the game.

Now you’re going to say no AD would make a decision on a HC because of 1 game. What I’m trying to stress here is that Shane was never fully sold on Holgs, and this just was seen a failure to prepare and execute at a critical time in the season. Lyons offered an extension in the years of the contract, but no increase in the buyout. Holgorsen rejected the contract offer.

Going into the last year of his contract in 2016, he doubled down and bet on himself and his team. It paid off as WVU went 10-2 in the regular season and Holgorsen agreed to a 5 year contract extension through the 2021 season. Lyons had to offer this extension, as it would be detrimental to the program to let a coach who won 10 games walk.

Grier got hurt and we went 7-6 last year, but returned almost everyone for this past season. It was the year we had to AT LEAST make the Big 12 Championship Game. We were 8-1 going into Stillwater as heavy favorites. There had been talks about another extension and Holgorsen was interested in staying, but then the wheels fell off. We let a 17 point lead in the second half slip away and then lost to OU to end the regular season. From that point on Shane wasn’t interested in any contract that wasn’t slanted heavily in favor of WVU. Holgorsen lost interest and knew next year would be make-or-break for his future in Morgantown and we were losing out top 4 offensive weapons and our top defender.

He then began talking to UH through Spav and other backchannels. Fertitta knew they needed to get rid of Applewhite and make a splash hire. He offered, by far, the most lucrative Group of 5 contract in history for both DH and his assistants. The big thing though is most of the $20 million contract is guaranteed. Even if Holgs would have made it through the last three years that were left on his contract, $12 million is not = $20 million. The more likely option would have been he would have underperformed for Lyons and Gee’s standards and would have been let go. I’d have to look, but his buyout would have been between $4-5 million plus the $4 million he’d be paid for the 2018 season. Again, $8-9 million is not $20 million.

WVU was definitely interested at keeping Holgorsen AT ONE POINT during the season. After the last two regular season losses, Lyons was happy to call Holgorsen’s bluff and let him walk and pay WVU. The bowl game was just an exclamation point on situation that had occurred over the last two months.

Here is a few quotes from an ESPN article:

“Sources told ESPN that Holgorsen had come to a stalemate in negotiations with the school over a contract extension. The point of contention was Holgorsen's desire for additional guaranteed years on his contract and a larger buyout. West Virginia, having just given him a five-year extension following 2016, wasn't willing to meet all of Holgorsen's demands.”

“Aafter talks stalled between Holgorsen and West Virginia, there was an opportunity for him to move. Holgorsen had spent eight years in Morgantown and was losing most of the key players from what was his most talented team. Star quarterback Will Grier and receiver David Sills V, among others, won't be around.”

you are correct, YAGS is the biggest liar on the internet.

but, just to be clear, had Holgorson not accepted Houston's offer he would be back in the hole, right?

Reactions: The Real SamC
@19MU88,

From everything I’ve been told or read, he wanted a contract extension. When he didn’t get that, the UH offer was too lucrative to pass up, especially since he can’t say enough good things about the City of Houston. He visited frequently as well.

I assume if he didn’t accept UH’s contract offer or if they offered the job to someone else, he’d still be in Morgantown. It can’t be stated enough though that he’s going to get all of that $20 million at Houston and the $4.5 million for an assistant coaching pool is unheard of in the Group of 5 conferences. That’s a great deal of money to work with. He could spend a million each on coordinators (unlikely) and still have more left than any other Group of 5 school spends on their coaching staff by $400,000.

Last edited:
I wanted to also say, with the way your new OC was calling the offense in your bowl game, I think you’re going to have a season in 2019 where you are a legit contender to win C-USA with Green and King leading the way.

So your incompetent AD had about 40 games to use to judge his head coach. You claim he withheld an extension because of one out of 40 games. Brilliant. But then you double-down on your stupidity by admitting that Lyons did end up giving him an extension just months later. Again, brilliant. Again, let me reiterate your absurd claim: You state that Lyons refused to offer an extension in the winter of 2015 based on the results of one game, but then he turned around and offered an extension just months later in the spring of 2016 (which your drunk coach denied). Again, brilliant. Your drunk coach was offered an extension in the spring of 2016, but Lyons isn't as much of a fool as you present him to be by not giving him an extension months earlier simply due to one game.

We were 8-1 going into Stillwater as heavy favorites.

You were 3.5 point favorites at kickoff. That is barely a favorite, let alone "heavy favorite." Why post bullshit you have no idea about?

From that point on Shane wasn’t interested in any contract that wasn’t slanted heavily in favor of WVU. Holgorsen lost interest and knew next year would be make-or-break for his future in Morgantown and we were losing out top 4 offensive weapons and our top defender.

This is another example of your brilliance. First, you claim it was Lyons who lost interest. You claim he wouldn't offer an extension that wasn't "slanted heavily in favor of wvu." Then, you claim your drunk coach lost interest. Well, if something is "slanted heavily" in favor of a school, a coach usually won't have much interest since it would be deemed unfair to him.

But the question is, based on what wvu would owe him, why would your drunk coach care . . .

The big thing though is most of the $20 million contract is guaranteed. Even if Holgs would have made it through the last three years that were left on his contract, $12 million is not = $20 million.

And most of his wvu contract is also guaranteed! Christ, you're trying to argue one thing for one side and then not use the same rationale for the other side.

At wvu, he was guaranteed 60% of his final two years if he gets canned after next year. At Houston, he is guaranteed 60% of his final two years.

That would breakdown as:

2019: $3.7
2020: $3.8 (60%) = $2.28
2021: $4 (60%) = $2.4

Even if fired after next season, which is a big "if," he would have earned almost $8.5 million for ONE YEAR of work! That comes out to an average of $8.5 million for one year of work.

In comparison, in his first three years at Houston, he will earn $11.5 million for THREE YEARS of work. That comes out to $3.8 million per year for three years of work . . . AND he is saddled with an insane buyout if he were to receive an offer elsewhere compared with $1 million at wvu.

His next three years at wvu had the same annual salary as what he received at Houston. Basically, Houston said "We will give you the same salary for the next three years as you were expecting at wvu, but we will tack on two more years in which you're only guaranteed 60% of each. Of course, we will also hit you with a huge buyout if you want to leave."

You claim that Lyons was only interested in an extension if it slanted heavily in wvu's favor. Well, guess what? Houston's contract is the exact same as wvu's if wvu had simply given a two year extension to Holgs guaranteed at only 60%, which would be slanted heavily in favor of wvu AND put a huge buyout on him.

Tell us, how is Houston's offer any better than wvu's had wvu simply given him a two year extension with only 60% guaranteed for the last two years? It would end up being the same damn thing other than Houston gets a huge buyout in their favor wherein wvu was still at $1 million.

It can’t be stated enough though that he’s going to get all of that $20 million at Houston

Do you know why it can't be stated enough? Because it's entirely bullshit. He isn't "going to get all of that $20 million at Houston." The last two years of his contract are guaranteed only up to 60%, no different than his last two years at wvu.

Stop posting bullshit you are clueless about.

Reactions: SamSwimmer
The link says otherwise.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401013327

Why do Marshall fans struggle so much with facts?
  • Line: WVU -6.0
  • Over/Under: 75
Attendance: 52,842

And here is a fun little video for you showing it at -4.5:

But, hey, forget about 3.5 or 4.5, since you clearly don't realize that lines move from where they open. Explain how 6 points is a "heavy favorite" like the other wvu moron claimed.

Why do wvu fans struggle so much with intelligence?

Whether WVU is a 3.5, 4.5, or 6.0 point favorite, didn’t somesone say WVU was “heavily favored”?

When has 6 points ever been considered a heavy favorite? You WVU fans are making Rifle’s argument for him! LMAO!

WVU 12-0 all time vs Marshall in football FACT
Huggy puts a 25 point beatdown in San Diego FACT

"But...but...Marshall never beat us in football. They're irrelevant."
"Huggins says Marshall doesn't matter to him. So it doesn't matter to us!"

<loses argument>

Makes Marshall relevant using their record against wvu in football and basketball.

Makes sense for you uneducated idiots up there. Good lord, its a wonder you even care about a school you could never get into.

The same Bill Stewart that some Herd fans refered to as "klansmanbill?"

And by "some," you mean 3 or 4 guys on a Marshall forum. Dan, if you bothered to get out of that holler and try making friends with people maybe you would understand just how big the world truly is.

Reactions: The Real SamC
And by "some," you mean 3 or 4 guys on a Marshall forum. Dan, if you bothered to get out of that holler and try making friends with people maybe you would understand just how big the world truly is.
Black, since I started working at the gas well pads, I have talked to people who KNOW their football. They are from Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisana. All they know about Marshall is a movie. A TCU fan (Antero Company Man) was telling me this morning that we hit home run with Brown.

Black, since I started working at the gas well pads, I have talked to people who KNOW their football. They are from Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisana. All they know about Marshall is a movie. A TCU fan (Antero Company Man) was telling me this morning that we hit home run with Brown.

Dan is such a typical wvu fan. Will go anywhere for some sort of validation.

And on a recent trip through rural South Carolina a fellow manning the gas pump at a convenience store told me to bet the farm on the gray in the Civil War! And your point is . . . ?

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT