ADVERTISEMENT

8-1 is an epic failure

Haha, well with a team like Chad's with one of the best WR's ever to play the game...along with a solid team in general...versus our freshman run banged up 8-1 squad? Well no crap they'd likely win.

That's about as dumb of a statement as I have heard...but then again, people like you, live in the past...

Comparing our current team to a team damn near 20 years old...get over it, pruett isn't coming back. He abandoned the ship and left the program sinking...he likely prays that Doc doesn't go unbeaten or gets an Access Bowl slot...cause then his legacy would be eclipsed.
But hey, with your observational knowledge of the game of collegiate sports...because, you are a coach and all...you are right...because, just since records alone, and not, you know, talent and coaching, would pruett's teams win, right?
Oh wait, actually no...pruett's coaching approach was going out of style...if he took over for Doc's team, hell, back in 2014...he'd likely drop some games, purely based on his coaching and his approach. The game has changed...I'd suggest you change out the picture frame of Chad, pruett, and Randy...you can still wear your Marshall pajamas and kiss the picture goodnight when you go to bed...but change it out because the entire approach to the game, is different now.

I love it when I am not the only one calling Pruett a quitter

Herdstruck - I was responding to the numerous comments comparing the teams, schedules, and players from the previous 2 division 1A Marshall teams. I don't prefer any of the 3 coaches. I think all 3 did as good a job here at Marshall as they were capable of doing and that is all you can ask of a coach. Some had better results than others but I respect all 3. Snyder was let go due to his lack of results, Pruett quit due to internal squabbles, and Doc is currently giving the job his best shot.
I don't see why you feel the need to insult me for giving my opinion. I've noticed that you dislike Pruett and feel he quit on the team and caused problems for MU football through his actions while coach. While I don't dislike Pruett and do appreciate his raising Marshall to its highest rating ever in Div I; I too feel his abrupt departure and the sanctions imposed set the Herd back for years. I'm thankful Doc seems to be bringing the Herd back, but I have a hard time judging how far back we are due to the schedules we have played the last couple of years.
Like it or not the 1999 Herd team (coached by Bobby Pruett) set the standard that all successful MU teams will be compared to until one comes along that accomplishes more.

Pruett gave MU the best ride in 1-A we've ever had, and it hasn't been matched since. He did 9 seasons and left over issues with the AD. A quitter I think not, can't coach? Please anyone who says he can't coach or couldn't coach this squad is fvcking clueless or utterly retarded.

There is no damn standard to be set. The 2015 squad should and only live up to the standards set in Fall camp for the 2015 squad.

You think those kids on the team give a damn what the 1999 squad let alone what they did last year

Pruetts approach is out of style? Dude are you fvcking high? He ran the spread its not out of style

i wouldn't say his approach is out of style, but the spread pruett ran is very different from the spread ran today. it was at a much slower tempo, usually was a 1 back, 1 tight end formation, with the tight end not split out from the line. also, aside from byron's last year and a half, when byron was calling most plays himself at the line, we were a team that ran the ball around 55% of the time.

Pruett gave MU the best ride in 1-A we've ever had, and it hasn't been matched since. He did 9 seasons and left over issues with the AD. A quitter I think not, can't coach? Please anyone who says he can't coach or couldn't coach this squad is fvcking clueless or utterly retarded.

Leaving after the 2004 season wouldn't have made him a quitter. Leaving 1 week before Spring Camp after you signed a full class mostly of duds make you a quitter

The 1999 squad should be the goal set every year. Undefeated and ranked 10th nationally. Greatest team in history here.

Coaches leave it happens get over it. The timing may not be perfect, but better for him to leave when his heart is not in it than to stick around and go through the motions.

We were 50/50 split run-pass last year herdit not much difference. A guy who coached as long and as successful as BP does not suddenly forget how to coach, he would do just fine if he were still a HC.

I said it a long time ago and still believe it.
Bob Pruett is the best Marshall coach of any sport in my life time.
I really like what Doc is doing here, but he's not up to Pruett's status in my eyes.

Coaches leave it happens get over it. The timing may not be perfect, but better for him to leave when his heart is not in it than to stick around and go through the motions.

Or state he is retiring after the season, and finish the season for the Players. If we had Pruett instead of Mark Snyder we more than likely beat Kansas State that year

As any true Doubting Thomas would say, " Worst 8-1 team in the country ". But, most of us are enjoying the 8-1 part. Here's hoping we get to the worst 9-1 team this Sat.

Reactions: Herd Fever
We simply need a lot more of those "quality losses" like Toledo got last night...62-24...BIG OUCH !!!

There is no damn standard to be set. The 2015 squad should and only live up to the standards set in Fall camp for the 2015 squad.

You think those kids on the team give a damn what the 1999 squad let alone what they did last year
Fever - Perhaps they don't but -
They should! Its called tradition. It is why Boise State is considered the top team in the G5 before (and usually after) the season starts. It is why teams like Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame are opponents all schools get up for. It is why Troy Brown, Chad Pennington, and hundreds of other past players come to watch the 2015 Herd play. It is why we reflect back to the plane crash and the Young Thundering Herd. It is why "We are Marshall" is a cheer that is given at each game. If you are only playing for yourself and not school and community pride, you fail to understand the meaning of college football. You also tend to leave (as many Herd players have) when your immediate personal goals aren't being met.

Yes I under stand what your saying but from a players standpoint, not a fans standpoint. They want to set their own standard each year. They aren't going to look back at a team 16 years ago. No player from Any school will do that and no coach will encourage it either

Yes I under stand what your saying but from a players standpoint, not a fans standpoint. They want to set their own standard each year. They aren't going to look back at a team 16 years ago. No player from Any school will do that and no coach will encourage it either

Actually, it's really common for players to look back at great teams from their school's past and say "We want to be better than they were, we want to be the best team in school history. Or we want to accomplish what they accomplished."

True, that each team has their own path and their main focus is on themselves and their road. But, players are aware of the history and they do desire to eclipse it.

We were 50/50 split run-pass last year herdit not much difference. A guy who coached as long and as successful as BP does not suddenly forget how to coach, he would do just fine if he were still a HC.

just saying his spread (and even ours to an extent now) aren't the true spreads that you're seeing.

either way, yeah he could do just fine here, if he was able to hire the right assistants. pruett was a great ceo head coach. when he first got here, he managed to snag some really good assistants, he stayed out of their way, let them do their jobs. he focused on fundraising for the program, and other ceo type tasks. he let his coaches coach. we had a lot of quality coaches come through the program, but his last few years the quality of assistants were down. we took some chances on some guys because we couldn't keep up financially with the big programs, and we missed on some guys.

That's not on BP, problem was he couldn't get support to help them get paid. Had Hamrick been here with BP you'd have a different story, his AD sucked when he left.

That's not on BP, problem was he couldn't get support to help them get paid. Had Hamrick been here with BP you'd have a different story, his AD sucked when he left.

except he loved his ad and got along very well with marcum.

Reactions: Herd Fever
And this is why I don't venture over here that often.

This seasons has been pretty darn good with or without considering the adveristy of losing your All-Conference and record setting RB, an OLine that only twice has started the same lineup in consecutive games, defections, starting a freshman QB, and needing to convert players to new positions due to injuries.

I laugh at people that say Snyder would do juat as good. Snyder wouldn't have made it to OT vs Kent. Do you all forget how we folded everytime we faced adveristy. Snyder's teams never found a way to ein games. Sure some of these games are ugly for aure but we're winning them.

The last two weeks some of us, myself, included questioned the second half droughts. Heck even Keith Morehouse tocuhed on it on the 6 and 11 O'Clock news. My other gripe has been not getting Foster runs to the perimeter but does that mean this has been a terrible season? No.

All some of you do is qualify everything Doc has ever done. I swear some of you can't wait for the man to leave.

I can promise you without sanctions Matk Snyder still would have sucked and he would suck now. The man could not recruit for crap. Sure we had a good player here and there but overall it was bad. His game management was some if the worst I have ever seen.

Losing Cato and Shuler alone was going to make repeating as CUSA champs a tall order. However the next three years could be even brighter than the previous three.

And about the OHIO losses. I hate jt as mich as anyone else but you do realize these Solich teams are a lot different than those teams we faced from 97-04.

Reactions: ohio herd

What is not on BP, that he quit after signing in 2005 class, sitting in all those recruits rooms and telling them lies when in the back of his head he knew he was out??

And this is why I don't venture over here that often.

This seasons has been pretty darn good with or without considering the adveristy of losing your All-Conference and record setting RB, an OLine that only twice has started the same lineup in consecutive games, defections, starting a freshman QB, and needing to convert players to new positions due to injuries.

I laugh at people that say Snyder would do juat as good. Snyder wouldn't have made it to OT vs Kent. Do you all forget how we folded everytime we faced adveristy. Snyder's teams never found a way to ein games. Sure some of these games are ugly for aure but we're winning them.

The last two weeks some of us, myself, included questioned the second half droughts. Heck even Keith Morehouse tocuhed on it on the 6 and 11 O'Clock news. My other gripe has been not getting Foster runs to the perimeter but does that mean this has been a terrible season? No.

All some of you do is qualify everything Doc has ever done. I swear some of you can't wait for the man to leave.

I can promise you without sanctions Matk Snyder still would have sucked and he would suck now. The man could not recruit for crap. Sure we had a good player here and there but overall it was bad. His game management was some if the worst I have ever seen.

Losing Cato and Shuler alone was going to make repeating as CUSA champs a tall order. However the next three years could be even brighter than the previous three.

And about the OHIO losses. I hate jt as mich as anyone else but you do realize these Solich teams are a lot different than those teams we faced from 97-04.

Recruiting talented players was never snyders problem, We always recruited among the best in the conference. His issue was recruiting players that would buy in and work out. Snyder's teams including the 2008 and 2009 squads had a ton of talent, they just didn't care to work hard, staying out of trouble, putting down the blunts, and take football and their schooling serious.

So if doc leaves he's a quitter to? He recruited everyone on the team that's here now. So the difference in a quitter and not a quitter is the length of time they do it prior to spring ball?

So if doc leaves he's a quitter to? He recruited everyone on the team that's here now. So the difference in a quitter and not a quitter is the length of time they do it prior to spring ball?

if you don't see what was wrong with how pruett handled his leaving, then it's really not worth debating with you.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Was the timing perfect? Certainly not. Is it enough to call the man a quitter every time his name is brought up? No, it's childish and plain idiocy

Last edited:
if you don't see what was wrong with how pruett handled his leaving, then it's really not worth debating with you.

So, you and fever are both willing to forfeit all the wins, respect, and basically putting us on the I-A map done by Pruett, all because he didn't leave the program exactly how you wanted him to?

You're right, if you are just as mentally handicapped as fever then there is definitely nothing worth debating with you.

Reactions: Marine03
Actually I have proof, verbal proof from players already on the team who had no clue he was leaving, and from recruits that came in that year. A few of them told me they had no clue he wasn't going to be their coach when they showed up. Some players even felt he lied to them when he was recruiting him and never would have came to Marshall if they knew he was going to quit 6 weeks after signing day

So, you and fever are both willing to forfeit all the wins, respect, and basically putting us on the I-A map done by Pruett, all because he didn't leave the program exactly how you wanted him to?

You're right, if you are just as mentally handicapped as fever then there is definitely nothing worth debating with you.

I don't dismiss what he did here. That's good, still at the end of the day, he quit on his players and coaches who had no clue he was doing that. His actions late in his tenure here set the program behind. There is no denying that and there is no changing my opinion on the quitter.

he's the greatest coach to coach here, but he left the program in a highly unprofessional manner, he had just signed kids just a month earlier with the commitment that he'd be their head coach, and honestly he left the program worse off than when he found it.

again, if you want to turn a blind eye to the small number of negatives around pruett and his time here, go for it...

head-buried-in-sand.jpg

Revisit this thread upon Docs departure one day so you can call him a quitter as well. Then interview all these kids who he gave a verbal commitment to as their leader and see how they feel about it. I don't see the difference in resigning or moving on in January or March. When BP signed these kids you have no idea his intention was to leave a month later, none at all.

Revisit this thread upon Docs departure one day so you can call him a quitter as well. Then interview all these kids who he gave a verbal commitment to as their leader and see how they feel about it. I don't see the difference in resigning or moving on in January or March. When BP signed these kids you have no idea his intention was to leave a month later, none at all.

if doc were to leave, it'd likely be early to mid december. there's a HUGE difference between resigning in early december, well before signing day and resigning less than a month after signing day, basically the day before spring ball starts.

if doc were to leave, it'd likely be early to mid december. there's a HUGE difference between resigning in early december, well before signing day and resigning less than a month after signing day, basically the day before spring ball starts.

Ive tried to explain this to Marine and other posters over the past I don't know 8 years.

If he would have retired after the bowl game against Cincy, that would have been fine. If he would have announced he is retiring after the 2005 season and used it as a swan song, even better. But to leave the week before Spring practice and 6 weeks after signing the 2005 class and a bitch ass move in my eyes

No there isn't. And fever you can try to explain it all you want your dislike for all things BP clouds your judgement.

the way Pruett left was suspect, but please list the great coaches that leave on good terms?

there has been talk for years about allowing players to transfer unconditionally if the head coach leaves their first season. many players commit to coaches, not programs. coaches leave and players are stuck. it sucks, but it happens every day at every level...

This is how clueless you are about Sports @Marine03 . There is a huge difference. There is a reason why choose coaches retire or resign in December and not March.

the way Pruett left was suspect, but please list the great coaches that leave on good terms?

there has been talk for years about allowing players to transfer unconditionally if the head coach leaves their first season. many players commit to coaches, not programs. coaches leave and players are stuck. it sucks, but it happens every day at every level...

So because it happens makes it right? Makes it professional??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT