ADVERTISEMENT

contract extension

frank is a good coach and Ohio was dog until he there plus in will go into the HOF. Why the hate?
Don't shoot the messenger 5150. I agree, he is solid, but I am just curious with the drive to fire Doc what some on here think about this.Doc has out preformed him(at Ohio) and has narrowed the series gap to 3-4 now so I don't think some can say Frank has owned him any longer. Like I said, the base in kitty land likes him, appreciates what he has done, but want him to retire. Very similar sentiments that I read on here.

Don't shoot the messenger 5150. I agree, he is solid, but I am just curious with the drive to fire Doc what some on here think about this.Doc has out preformed him(at Ohio) and has narrowed the series gap to 3-4 now so I don't think some can say Frank has owned him any longer. Like I said, the base in kitty land likes him, appreciates what he has done, but want him to retire. Very similar sentiments that I read on here.
I understand and feel any coach that I is not winning at least 10 games a season has a shelf life of 7 to 8 years(even for some winning 10 games a year that is still not a bad time to leave). College football is about excitement and if that is not coming with wins then that makes it difficult on the coach. Frank is the one that got this ball rolling at Nebraska when he got fired for winning 8 or 9 games a year. Frank is a little different then Doc because with 30 more wins and he is a HOF guy.

When Frank did beat Doc, at least the other board, was like, "Oh I wish we had Frank as our coach! Look at that, he beats Marshall!!!"
Zero titles in 3 appearances and a few of those, he had the better team.

But again, this is where the fanbase needs to remain consistent on what it wants. People like Doc and Frank are a bigger threat to themselves than anyone else, because they are good enough to show a program and fans what it can achieve, but have significant trouble in keeping those expectations met each season.
Its a challenge for many programs and coaches.
Some programs can afford to rotate coaches every 5 years due to lack of winning. MU and OU would struggle to do this.
Places like Clemson and Alabama and the like, have consistent winning coaches and more money than god to keep them from leaving.
Look at WKU, Brohm made them a contender and a very good one at that. He leaves, they go through 2 coaches and some pretty bad seasons to recover, and still haven't had any championships since.
Then again, its a different culture at ohio.

Reactions: 5150 and ohio herd
When Frank did beat Doc, at least the other board, was like, "Oh I wish we had Frank as our coach! Look at that, he beats Marshall!!!"

But again, this is where the fanbase needs to remain consistent on what it wants. People like Doc and Frank are a bigger threat to themselves than anyone else, because they are good enough to show a program and fans what it can achieve, but have significant trouble in keeping those expectations met each season.
Some programs can afford to rotate coaches every 5 years due to lack of winning. MU and OU would struggle to do this.
Places like Clemson and Alabama and the like, have consistent winning coaches and more money than god to keep them from leaving.
Look at WKU, Brohm made them a contender and a very good one at that. He leaves, they go through 2 coaches and some pretty bad seasons to recover, and still haven't had any championships since.

I don’t know that I agree on western Kentucky. Brohm won 2 championships at WKU In 3 years. So double Docs “ships” in 1/3 of the time. They had 2 down years after he left. And now they’re back this season to being arguably better than us again (despite our win against them).

I don’t think there’s many MU fans that wouldn’t trade our last 5 years for WKU’s.

I understand and feel any coach that I is not winning at least 10 games a season has a shelf life of 7 to 8 years(even for some winning 10 games a year that is still not a bad time to leave). College football is about excitement and if that is not coming with wins then that makes it difficult on the coach. Frank is the one that got this ball rolling at Nebraska when he got fired for winning 8 or 9 games a year. Frank is a little different then Doc because with 30 more wins and he is a HOF guy.
I don't want to be a jerk here, but Frank did not get the ball rolling at Nebraska. He took over a program that had won about 90% of it's games for about 25 years in a row including a few NC

All you have to do is look at how we were perceived 5-6 years ago as opposed to how we are now. Now, we're off the radar in G5 and many other G5 programs have passed us by. All the while with increased football budget, better facilities, growing academics, and the ability to take endless NQ's.

All you have to do is look at how we were perceived 5-6 years ago as opposed to how we are now. Now, we're off the radar in G5 and many other G5 programs have passed us by. All the while with increased football budget, better facilities, growing academics, and the ability to take endless NQ's.
Winner!! /thread

Reactions: Elkview
I don't want to be a jerk here, but Frank did not get the ball rolling at Nebraska. He took over a program that had won about 90% of it's games for about 25 years in a row including a few NC

FS is among the victims of a delusional spoiled unrealistic fans went 9-4, 12-1, 10-2,11-2, 7-6, 9-3, . 753. Not good enough for those children. Followed by further and further firings of solid coaches, all due to delusional spoiled unrealistic fans, who cannot understand that Dr. Tom Osborne is retired and the game, and their school’s role in that game, has changed. Now stuck with the latest shiny object, some AACer unable to translate it to the big time. 4-8, 5-7, looking at another decade of obscurity.

Because delusional spoiled fans who run off good coaches based on shadowy memories of past glory, destroy programs,

Sad what Nebraska did to Frank and it appears he was doing a good job

1998 Nebraska 9–4 5–3 T–2nd (North) L Holiday 20 19
1999 Nebraska 12–1 7–1 1st (North) W Fiesta† 2 3
2000 Nebraska 10–2 6–2 T–1st (North) W Alamo 7 8
2001 Nebraska 11–2 7–1 T–1st (North) L Rose† 7 8
2002 Nebraska 7–7 3–5 4th (North) L Independence
2003 Nebraska 9–3* 5–3 2nd (North) Alamo* 18 19
Nebraska: 58–19 33–15 * Did not coach bowl game

Frank took over for a legend and Nebraska is still trying to find another Tom Osbourne. Frank still has the highest winning pct of any post Osbourne coach at Nebraska.

Frank Solich 1998–2003 77 58 19 — .753
30 Bill Callahan 2004–2007 49 27 22 — .551
31 Bo Pelini[A 5] 2008–2014 93 66 27 — .710
Barney Cotton[A 6] 2014 1 0 1 — .000 0
32 Mike Riley[A 7] 2015-2017 38 19 19 — .500
33 Scott Frost 2018-present 24 9 15 — .375

Its a new term in college football when a program fires a coach that is winning at a fairly high pct its called getting "Soliched". What happened to Frank at Nebraska was sad.

agreed

Doc with one Conference title in 10 seasons. Ohio without a MAC football title since the 60s. However, Solich gets the contract extension. Different priorities for football up in Athens, I guess!!

Doc with one Conference title in 10 seasons. Ohio without a MAC football title since the 60s. However, Solich gets the contract extension. Different priorities for football up in Athens, I guess!!
Their fans show up for the halftime show. If they don’t get a good performance, they’ll storm the music department and put the band director on the hot seat.

Ohio was like Rutgers. One of the worst programs in the country

Solich has taken Ohio from a dumpster fire to being competitive in their conference, and a bowl winner, which is a huge jump from where they were. He has hit his ceiling, so the question is letting him stay because of how far he has brought the program or try new blood that could take them higher. That is really the question with any program at some point, once they have hit their ceiling, is that good enough? Doc has hit his, and some would argue its a great tenure and good state of the program. Others would say being one of the better teams in CUSA and even winning a title is not good enough because the Herd should dominate every year.

Either way, it's all a matter of 'is this good enough' to the people who make decisions.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I wouldn't call Ohio a dumpster fire, so much as a school that doesn't need sports to drive enrollment or establish a public profile.

They WERE a dumpster fire in football, which is what we are talking about- football.
He's been their coach for 15 years, and he's making less than $600k a year. That doesn't sound like a program that's trying too hard, or a coach that's particularly worried about personal growth.

He's been their coach for 15 years, and he's making less than $600k a year. That doesn't sound like a program that's trying too hard, or a coach that's particularly worried about personal growth.

And yet they are WAY above where they were before he got there. Before he was there OU was a bottom 5 programs nationally. Now they are top half of the MAC annually. And if OU is not worried about growth, then they should be very content keeping Solich and his salary.

And yet they are WAY above where they were before he got there. Before he was there OU was a bottom 5 programs nationally. Now they are top half of the MAC annually. And if OU is not worried about growth, then they should be very content keeping Solich and his salary.
Actually they had begun to improve under Huntington native Jim Grobe who left after the 2000 season to go to Wake Forrest. The next 4 years they returned to their losing ways under Knorr who went 11-35. Prior to Grobe 33-33 they were certainly a huge dumpster fire for about 10 years avg about 2 wins a year before Grobe arrived in 1995 (17-89). They were so bad the tradition was the students show up late to the game stay until the 110 played and then hit Court Street

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT