ADVERTISEMENT

Covington Kids Suing the Washington Post

Are they suing based on libel? If so, have libel laws recently changed? They better hope these organizations don't want to drag out legal costs and settle, but I'm guessing they may not do that, as it would open a huge slippery slope for future, similar lawsuits.

Were the organizations reckless in reporting what they did? Based on what was shown on YouTube and other outlets, the overwhelming amount of viewers reached the same conclusion. It will be very hard to prove that they purposely ignored available evidence showing that what witnesses stated wasn't true.

Going after Kathy Griffin? Pfft. Good luck with that. She doesn't give a shit. She will just make more fun of the dorks. And Jim Carrey? He had a room across from me at a hotel about ten days ago. I was walking out of my room at the same time he and an Asian woman were opening their door. He had a t-shirt that said "hakuna matata" on it and looked like a bit of a hermit.

Hysterical. This was all orchestrated by right wing radicals from day one. Just like a Soros claim.

And you know that’s not even the point. They just want a settlement

They will be lucky to get that. The law is not on their side, and they do not have the resources to bully Jeff fvcking Bezos with litigation. or CNN. Or the NYT. And certainly not the Catholic Church. All at the same time? Good luck.

It is entertaining however to watch Trumpers cheer this and show they have zero concept of the law on this issue. ThunderCat knows better. What's funny is this has just been in the news with Clarence Thomas saying SCOTUS should revisit the issue (because nothing would make our authoritarian POTUS more happy)....maybe Faux didn't cover that.

Rifle is correct that the video speaks for itself. Video also invites you to make your own conclusion, which is convenient to use truth as an absolute defense. It's not like there was no video and the press just told you this kid sucks a bag of dicks for no reason.

I am really glad we did not have cell phone video everywhere when we were kids. I will tell you we were absolutely a bunch of dickheads and douche canoes. And so were all of you. This douchey kid and his douchey parents just need to suck it up and realize acting douchey gets you called a douche. That's life, buttercup.

They will be lucky to get that. The law is not on their side, and they do not have the resources to bully Jeff fvcking Bezos with litigation. or CNN. Or the NYT. And certainly not the Catholic Church. All at the same time? Good luck.

It is entertaining however to watch Trumpers cheer this and show they have zero concept of the law on this issue. ThunderCat knows better. What's funny is this has just been in the news with Clarence Thomas saying SCOTUS should revisit the issue (because nothing would make our authoritarian POTUS more happy)....maybe Faux didn't cover that.

Rifle is correct that the video speaks for itself. Video also invites you to make your own conclusion, which is convenient to use truth as an absolute defense. It's not like there was no video and the press just told you this kid sucks a bag of dicks for no reason.

I am really glad we did not have cell phone video everywhere when we were kids. I will tell you we were absolutely a bunch of dickheads and douche canoes. And so were all of you. This douchey kid and his douchey parents just need to suck it up and realize acting douchey gets you called a douche. That's life, buttercup.
but, it's okay for some old man to provoke the kids, because, well you know, he's an indian? i just watched the video again and the kid does nothing but stand there and smile . . . you choose to call that douchey, then you must be the "buttercup".

i couldn't care less, but the kid will get paid. mark it down. in court or out, there will be a settlement.

but, it's okay for some old man to provoke the kids, because, well you know, he's an indian?

He's not the one suing, Paledickface. But he's a douche too. General rule of thumb: if you are protesting in DC, you are a douche.

douche-bags-douche-bags-as-far-as-the-eye-can-see.jpg

Reactions: GreenDuke
Here are excerpts from the complaint:

The Post ignored basic journalist standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump (“the President”) by impugning individuals perceived to be supporters of the President.
The Post’s campaign to target Nicholas in furtherance of its political agenda was carried out by using its vast financial resources to enter the bully pulpit by publishing a series of false and defamatory print and online articles which effectively provided a worldwide megaphone to Phillips and other anti-Trump individuals and entities to smear a young boy who was in its view an acceptable casualty in their war against the President.
Unlike the Post’s abuse of the profession of journalism, Plaintiffs do not bring this lawsuit to use the judicial system to further a political agenda. This lawsuit is brought against the Post to seek legal redress for its negligent, reckless, and malicious attacks on Nicholas which caused permanent damage to his life and reputation.
The Post wanted to lead the charge against this child because he was a pawn in its political war against its political adversary – a war so disconnected and beyond the comprehension of Nicholas that it might as well have been science fiction.
In order to fully compensate Nicholas for his damages and to punish, deter, and teach the Post a lesson it will never forget, this action seeks money damages in excess of Two Hundred and Fifty Million Dollars ($250,000,000.00) – the amount Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, paid in cash for the Post when his company, Nash Holdings, purchased the newspaper in 2013.

HAHAHAHA. This is a joke. These two lawyers did their client no favors in this complaint. They shot themselves in the feet.

Here are excerpts from the complaint:

The Post ignored basic journalist standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump (“the President”) by impugning individuals perceived to be supporters of the President.
The Post’s campaign to target Nicholas in furtherance of its political agenda was carried out by using its vast financial resources to enter the bully pulpit by publishing a series of false and defamatory print and online articles which effectively provided a worldwide megaphone to Phillips and other anti-Trump individuals and entities to smear a young boy who was in its view an acceptable casualty in their war against the President.
Unlike the Post’s abuse of the profession of journalism, Plaintiffs do not bring this lawsuit to use the judicial system to further a political agenda. This lawsuit is brought against the Post to seek legal redress for its negligent, reckless, and malicious attacks on Nicholas which caused permanent damage to his life and reputation.
The Post wanted to lead the charge against this child because he was a pawn in its political war against its political adversary – a war so disconnected and beyond the comprehension of Nicholas that it might as well have been science fiction.
In order to fully compensate Nicholas for his damages and to punish, deter, and teach the Post a lesson it will never forget, this action seeks money damages in excess of Two Hundred and Fifty Million Dollars ($250,000,000.00) – the amount Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, paid in cash for the Post when his company, Nash Holdings, purchased the newspaper in 2013.

HAHAHAHA. This is a joke. These two lawyers did their client no favors in this complaint. They shot themselves in the feet.

Haha, that's RWNJ stuff there.

I don't think anyone believes this will actually be successful. It's doubtful it will make it through the summary judgment stage. If, by some legal miracle it did, I could see a Kentucky jury siding with the kid.

That being said, the whole point of this is to put the media and these pseudo-celebrities on notice that they need to be more careful with their reporting and/or rants. This whole thing happened because the left is more concerned with labeling anyone and everyone they can as a victim in order to further their political agenda - facts be damned. Fvck the Post, fvck nasty-ass, Kathy Griffin, and fvck Jim Carrey's irrelevant ass.

They are comedians. Isn't what they say supposed to be taken with a grain of salt? And maybe a few shots of liquor?

If they're doing a routine, or acting in character, sure. That's not what was happening here. You've got self-important, hollyweird loons acting like they are America's social conscience, standing up for the oppressed native American.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone believes this will actually be successful. It's doubtful it will make it through the summary judgment stage. If, by some legal miracle it did, I could see a Kentucky jury siding with the kid.

That being said, the whole point of this is to put the media and these pseudo-celebrities on notice that they need to be more careful with their reporting and/or rants. This whole thing happened because the left is more concerned with labeling anyone and everyone they can as a victim in order to further their political agenda - facts be damned. Fvck the Post, fvck nasty-ass, Kathy Griffin, and fvck Jim Carrey's irrelevant ass.

LMAO!

What did Kathy Griffin do? What did Jim Carrey do?
I'm so glad the right came up with that term "snowflake."

Then, when the more intelligent among you posts that they don't have much of a chance, your tune changes to everybody knows this suit won't be successful.

Uh, I can hope they win (and do), and still acknowledge it's an unlikely outcome. They aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

Uh, I can hope they win (and do), and still acknowledge it's an unlikely outcome. They aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

So somebody in the legal profession thinks it's "awesome" that stunts like these tie up the legal system even when they would need a "miracle" to win, it probably won't get past the summary judgment stage, and nobody actually thinks it will be successful.

That kind of attorney needs to be disbarred.

This whole thing happened because the left is more concerned with labeling anyone and everyone they can as a victim in order to further their political agenda - facts be damned.

No, this whole thing happened because the con man, narcissist and habitual liar in the White House took a page right out of Hitler’s playbook in vilifying the media and idiots like you, the idiot Sandmann family and the two douchebag attorneys gobble that shit up.

181026-cesar-sayoc-van-al-1456_89ae7aba47c0b24faecb7a7bdc039e35.fit-760w.jpg

So somebody in the legal profession thinks it's "awesome" that stunts like these tie up the legal system even when they would need a "miracle" to win, it probably won't get past the summary judgment stage, and nobody actually thinks it will be successful.

That kind of attorney needs to be disbarred.

Your faux outrage hurts me deeply.

No, this whole thing happened because the con man, narcissist and habitual liar in the White House took a page right out of Hitler’s playbook in vilifying the media and idiots like you, the idiot Sandmann family and the two douchebag attorneys gobble that shit up.

181026-cesar-sayoc-van-al-1456_89ae7aba47c0b24faecb7a7bdc039e35.fit-760w.jpg

So you're blaming the kid and his family for this? Makes sense coming from the board idiot.

Reactions: WV-FAN

"Few principles of law are as well-established as the rule that statements of opinion are not actionable in libel actions," Bertelsman wrote in the 36-page opinion issued on Friday.

So was the article in question by the Post an opinion piece? Because my understanding is that they were reporting the incorrect information as fact. If the article was NOT labeled an opinion piece, but still receives protection from libel claims because the fact reported is apparently an "opinion", are we to assume that simply everything printed in all news papers are opinions?

"Few principles of law are as well-established as the rule that statements of opinion are not actionable in libel actions," Bertelsman wrote in the 36-page opinion issued on Friday.

So was the article in question by the Post an opinion piece? Because my understanding is that they were reporting the incorrect information as fact. If the article was NOT labeled an opinion piece, but still receives protection from libel claims because the fact reported is apparently an "opinion", are we to assume that simply everything printed in all news papers are opinions?

I am not going to read 36 pages of a summary dismissal, but from my understanding the "news" piece included the statements of witnesses that said the kid was a little shit.

And of the course if a news article said he smugly smiled, smugly would be an observation and thus an opinion.

As Hunter S Thompson said, and as I quote all the time, you won't find bias-free reporting anywhere except for the box scores and stock quotes. Although due to laziness this is no longer true: I often see the local TV stations put some bullshit on their websites like, "A two-car accident has been reported on I-65. No further details are available at this time." And that's the entire goddamn piece. Lazy bastards, get out there and talk to the cops, old school style...or get some contacts on the force you can call for details. Or don't run it at all.

Reactions: GreenDuke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT