ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern Michigan

TwolfHerdfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2007
How do they continue to play D1 football? They have tarped half their stadium and may have 5000 for a game against Army. It is a rainy day though.

Watching lots of football - lots of empty seats every where.

If you have access to HBO online, the Real Sports show had a story on just that issue, particularly relative to EMU, about a year ago. EMU is fast filling up with students who are older, with a high %age of females, and who are retraining for second jobs as the rust belt rusts further. Many have NO INTEREST in sports, and least not EMU and are questioning why they are paying high student fees for something they have no interest in at all.

When the ESPN/MAC overbid contract expires in 8 years, the MAC will break up. Some schools will want to continue to play pretend they are I-A and soak the students yet more. Some will do, IMHO, the right thing and move down or drop sports totally.

If you have access to HBO online, the Real Sports show had a story on just that issue, particularly relative to EMU, about a year ago. EMU is fast filling up with students who are older, with a high %age of females, and who are retraining for second jobs as the rust belt rusts further. Many have NO INTEREST in sports, and least not EMU and are questioning why they are paying high student fees for something they have no interest in at all.

When the ESPN/MAC overbid contract expires in 8 years, the MAC will break up. Some schools will want to continue to play pretend they are I-A and soak the students yet more. Some will do, IMHO, the right thing and move down or drop sports totally.
Disagree, if there ever was a conference that will always remain intact it is the MAC.

Well, nobody is moving UP. The question is moving DOWN.

If you look at the MACers, today, none have subsidy rates below 65%, and 80% is about average. Now, the ESPN overbid contract expires after th3 26 season. Yes, that is a long time, but when it does, the MAC is looking at a small fraction of the money, if that (who knows what TV will be like in 8 years). And who knows how many MORE people will have fled that region for better prospects.

Now, some MACers, including OU and Little Miami, will say "lets soak the students some more, we are a BIG time, we are I-A". There is no other place to get the money but from the students. No other place. Some, wil walk away.

Will there be a MAC in 10 years? Maybe. It depends on how many go one way and how many the other. But will there be current MACers that are no longer playing I-A football, or football at all? No question.

The MAC'ers existed for 30 years without an ESPN contract and no fan support and will exist for the 30 years after it expires.
Exactly. The MAC is going nowhere. Been around a long time and is happy where it is at. The state of Ohio could funnel enough money off Ohio State and speeding tickets to pay for all their schools to remain IA.

Reactions: Elkview
The MAC isnt going to fold... Is there a chance that a team, or maybe two, might say screw it and go back to 1-AA? Maybe, Eastern Michigan and Kent State are the two that come to mind, but even that is doubtful and the league as a whole isn't going anywhere.

If the MAC lost two teams the remainders would recruit two replacements (maybe App State and JMU) and continue business as usual.

There is no way the MAC breaks up. They are who they are and they like being who they are.

Could Buffalo or Northern Illinois move? Maybe, but I doubt it.
There is no way the MAC breaks up. They are who they are and they like being who they are.

Could Buffalo or Northern Illinois move? Maybe, but I doubt it.
”They are who they are and like being who they are” Great description of the schools within the MAC. They couldn’t give a damn about moving up. Why.....because they understand it’s a waste of energy. So you make it to the AAC, and once you get there....you are still below Rutgers. Looking up at the ass end of the P5.

Spoken like a non-Alumni. If you really knew how silly that sounds. About as silly as the "DD really doesn't care about winning an Exhibition game" line from two days ago.
Ask him! There were plenty of us there to hear it

As for non-alum. True, I didn't go to Marshall. I graduated from college in Florida. I have never given 1 cent to their alumni group, sports group etc. I have been a member of the MU Alum Assn for nearly 30 years. Big Green member nearly as long.
So I sorry, I'm not Marshall enough for you.

The MAC isnt going to fold... Is there a chance that a team, or maybe two, might say screw it and go back to 1-AA? Maybe, Eastern Michigan and Kent State are the two that come to mind, but even that is doubtful and the league as a whole isn't going anywhere.

If the MAC lost two teams the remainders would recruit two replacements (maybe App State and JMU) and continue business as usual.

Yeah right... a team that is the strongest, or at least one of, in the MAC in basketball is not going to 1AA. They represent the MAC very well.

Eastern Michigan maybe, but no chance Kent State packs it in.

Reactions: Herdmeister
So I sorry, I'm not Marshall enough for you.

Didn't say you were "Not Marshall" enough. Apparently, you made the claim that...

EMU Alum are not enough "Eastern Michigan" , because they are actually "Fans" of Michigan and OSU.

See the irony! Fans come and go, Alum and Alum for life! You cannot be an ex-Alumni.

Brings me to point II, Exhibition games are not figured in to ROI & SOS, but they will be come march and MU is on the perennial bubble, and there are a few close games. The Board isn't supposed to take Exhibition games into account; but, believe me they do. It's only human nature.

Yeah right... a team that is the strongest, or at least one of, in the MAC in basketball is not going to 1AA. They represent the MAC very well.

Eastern Michigan maybe, but no chance Kent State packs it in.

Football and basketball have zero to do with each other in terms of level of competition. Kent State could drop to 1-AA in football and still be in the NCAA tourney. (There are literally 100 schools that play a lower division of football and play DI basketball)

Heck, Kent State could join the OVC in all sports and play 1-AA football and have arguably an easier road to the NCAA tourney in basketball.

Football and basketball have zero to do with each other in terms of level of competition. Kent State could drop to 1-AA in football and still be in the NCAA tourney. (There are literally 100 schools that play a lower division of football and play DI basketball)

Heck, Kent State could join the OVC in all sports and play 1-AA football and have arguably an easier road to the NCAA tourney in basketball.

Yeah.. Kent State is going to remain in the MAC for bball only when they could also have the benefits of football.. LOL

Yeah.. Kent State is going to remain in the MAC for bball only when they could also have the benefits of football.. LOL

Partner I don't know what you are tokin' today, but pass it left...

If Kent State or EMU, in the hypothetical world we are describing, were to drop to 1-AA in football they would not stay in the MAC in basketball.

1. The MAC would not allow a basketball only member.
2. The reason for leaving the MAC would be that football is losing money (IE there are no benefits to staying in the MAC for football)
3. They could join a litany of other conferences, the OVC, the Patriot League, the NEC, etc. for both sports and potentially save money on football and potentially make just as much, or more, on basketball by continuing their proud tradition of NCAA tourney appearances via an easier field of conference mates. (We can ignore the fact that Kent has made one NCAA tourney in the past decade in the MAC).

Partner I don't know what you are tokin' today, but pass it left...

If Kent State or EMU, in the hypothetical world we are describing, were to drop to 1-AA in football they would not stay in the MAC in basketball.

1. The MAC would not allow a basketball only member.
2. The reason for leaving the MAC would be that football is losing money (IE there are no benefits to staying in the MAC for football)
3. They could join a litany of other conferences, the OVC, the Patriot League, the NEC, etc. for both sports and potentially save money on football and potentially make just as much, or more, on basketball by continuing their proud tradition of NCAA tourney appearances via an easier field of conference mates. (We can ignore the fact that Kent has made one NCAA tourney in the past decade in the MAC).

They aren't money in football. No MAC team that is somewhat competitive is going to opt to go to the Patriot league. What world do you live in?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT