ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't win CUSA tournament. Will we get in some kind of tournament?

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
What are the chances and would we take it?

Last edited:
Only chance for the NCAA is to win the conference tourney.
Only chance for the NIT is to win the regular season and lose in the conference tourney.

If neither of those happen, I'd say there's a near-100% chance we're invited to the CBI/CIT. No idea if we would or should accept.

True. Too many losses for the NIT. There is a new possibility this year. The Vegas 16. They are taking 16 teams to Las Vegas and playing everyday from March 25-29. It's put on by the Global folks that produced the tournament MU played in this year in Vegas. All games would be in the Cox Pavilion on UNLV campus.

I'd say CIT. Yeah, it's a cheesy tournament but at this point it has to be considered progress. Just a small step up the ladder. I think with all the tournaments you have 148 teams out of 351 D1 now playing in post season tournaments.

Reactions: ohio herd
Do we need a winning record to qualify for the CBI/CIT tourneys? Herdmeister said on another board that he thought he read that somewhere. We need to take care of business first, but barring an NCAA or NIT bid I'd say we'd almost have to take the lesser bid if presented. Why would you turn down practice or play? And based on our post season history I'm not sure we're ready to pronounce ANY tournament as being below us.

That being said...let's win the regular season and/or the tourney.

A team must have a winning record for the CIT. The others have no rules.

Anyway, I agree that we have no shot at the NCAAs unless we win CUSA and no shot at the NIT. One of these other deals is better than nothing, but not much better.

A team must have a winning record for the CIT. The others have no rules.

Anyway, I agree that we have no shot at the NCAAs unless we win CUSA and no shot at the NIT. One of these other deals is better than nothing, but not much better.
I don't know. If we finish top 2 or three in the regular season and get to the final of the conference tourney, I think we might have an outside shot at the NIT. A very very outside shot.

I don't know. If we finish top 2 or three in the regular season and get to the final of the conference tourney, I think we might have an outside shot at the NIT. A very very outside shot.

no. we're 141st in rpi right now, and even winning out will minimally increase that because our conference is so bad.

a couple weeks ago, while uab was still sitting at 3 losses, someone asked one of the bracket gurus if uab won out, then lost in the cusa championship game if they'd get a ncaa at-large, now remember they'd be like 29-4, and he said 0% chance. if there's 0% chance that a 29-4 cusa team would get an at-large bid, there'd be very little chance a 21-13 cusa team getting into the nit.

Reactions: ohio herd

Real time RPI projects us to finish 4-3 down the stretch for an over all record of 16-15 before the conference tournament.. I think we do a tad better than that and finish 5-2 and 17-14 going into the CUSA tournament. I think with that record as long as we don't lose first game of the tourney we will definitely get a bid to one of the lesser tournaments.. We are an attractive option to one of those I think considering the amount of points we score offensively. But, I still believe we can win this league and that is what I'm hoping for.

Last edited:
I hate those pay-for-play basketball tournaments. It isn't much different than having a 5 - 7 record in football and accepting a bid to the Captain D All You Can Eat Shrimp Bowl held in festive Fargo, ND.

I hate those pay-for-play basketball tournaments. It isn't much different than having a 5 - 7 record in football and accepting a bid to the Captain D All You Can Eat Shrimp Bowl held in festive Fargo, ND.

great!

I think any post season games we play we can call progress. Let's give the guys all the playing time we can. now, if we were expecting to be in the NIT and they passes us by and the CIT came calling I can see a little problem but the thought we are even having this thread is better then I thought things would be this year.

If we could win out and get some help and win the regular season CUSA title and get beat in the tournament we would go to the NIT. however, we need some help with UAB losing more than just to us. that is a long road to get there. I think our hope is one of the other tournaments.

I actually think get to 19-20 wins, with a run to the Conference Tournament Championship game , might get us a look at the NIT. It's totally dependent on how many Regular Season Champs actually win their Conference Tourney.

Stay above .500 and don't get beat in the 1st round, I think we get something. (CIT, Vegas, etc)

I actually think get to 19-20 wins, with a run to the Conference Tournament Championship game , might get us a look at the NIT. It's totally dependent on how many Regular Season Champs actually win their Conference Tourney.

Stay above .500 and don't get beat in the 1st round, I think we get something. (CIT, Vegas, etc)

in my quick look at the last 3-4 years, no one 100+ rpi has made the nit as an at-large. we're sitting at 141 right now and our future regular season opponents at a combined 86-66, we're not going to make any massive leaps in rpi.

winning out and making a run in the cusa tournament will bump us, but nowhere near where we need to be likely, a 20 spot jump would be a huge jump.

Reactions: andy4theherd
Absolute zero chance at NIT without winning the regular season title. Here's our RPI during our decent 3 year run, and this was when we were in a conference that was twice as good.

2010: 67th (no NIT)
2011: 54th (no NIT)
2012: 44th (away game in NIT)

Combined record of the teams we still have to play:
Wins - 94
Losses - 67

I think we will win 5 out of the 7 we have left in regular season.

I don't think we have the depth to win the cusa tourney, but the loss to U A B in Huntington may actually work in our favor. Statistical probability it's really hard to beat the same team 3 times in one season.

Proud of this team, and let's face it they are a PERFECT fit for March Madness, perfect.

Reactions: bangtheherd
How are they a perfect fit for March madness?

Tournaments are usually won with depth a point guard that controls the flow kd the game and defense.

Tournaments are usually won with depth a point guard that controls the flow kd the game and defense.

in terms of the conference tournament, playing three straight days limits the amount of prep a team can do for our style of play.

Hell, at least we are having this discussion. Thats progress. I see us losing to WKU, UAB, MT, La Tech. But winning a couple of tourney games to finish above .500. Get in the CIT or CBI and win a game. Thats very good progress from what was happening at the start of the year.

Hell, DD could get COTY in CUSA.

Their style of play is so different from a marketing perspective they are a great sell to cbs sports, plus we haven't been in 25 years and our coach is also so different from any other coach that it is a neat story to package to a watching public. That is the essence of March Madness.

People like wide open fun and gun offenses, we got that.

Two big conference games for our opponents coming up.......MTSU @ La Tech tonight and UAB @ La Tech Saturday.

The March 3rd game vs La Tech @ home could be big.

Two big conference games for our opponents coming up.......MTSU @ La Tech tonight and UAB @ La Tech Saturday.

The March 3rd game vs La Tech @ home could be big.

it creates a wider gap between us, uab, and mtsu, but i think we need them both to beat la tech for us this weekend.

the odds of us catching uab at this point aren't great, if la tech were to lose twice this weekend, that'd put them at 6 conference losses, give us a bit more margin of error if we want to secure a top 4 seed in the conference tournament.

if uab and mtsu can win this weekend, and we can beat la tech at home, then going .500 the rest of the way should be enough to secure a top 4 seed.

I'm still looking at this like we have a chance to win the regular season. Until we are mathematically eliminated from doing just that, I'll continue to look at it like that. Top 4 is a must, but right now we can still be #1 and that's what I'm holding hope out for. Like I said I think we go 5-2 in these last 7.. But, I'm hoping we go 7-0!

I don't think we have the depth to win the cusa tourney, but the loss to U A B in Huntington may actually work in our favor. Statistical probability it's really hard to beat the same team 3 times in one season.

Not trying to hate on your post, but that 3 times in one season adage always bothered me. It's like saying a coin is more likely to be tails on the 3rd throw because it was heads on the first two.

Of course it's really hard to beat the same team 3 times in a season. There's only a 1 in 8 chance of that happening if they're perfect equals. But after it's already happened twice, the chances are still 1 in 2.

Not trying to hate on your post, but that 3 times in one season adage always bothered me. It's like saying a coin is more likely to be tails on the 3rd throw because it was heads on the first two.

Of course it's really hard to beat the same team 3 times in a season. There's only a 1 in 8 chance of that happening if they're perfect equals. But after it's already happened twice, the chances are still 1 in 2.
Plus, they have only beaten us 1 time.... I'm not conceding that we will lose our regular season game at Bartow.

We would need to win out (regular season) to have 19 wins , then win at least 2 games in the conference tournament to have a shot at the NIT , win CUSA and the W/L total will not matter as we would have the conference auto bid.

Going to take at least 20 wins to have any shot at the NIT and that might be one short when you look at some of the teams that will be left out of March Madness.

So , the solution , just win out and take the conference championship and go to The Big Dance , solves the issue of wondering about the NIT. See how simple that was.;)

How we play is how a lot of Cinderella teams make runs in the NCAAs vs better raw talent. The 3 ball, fast pace, and playing small is a tough matchup for teams. I doubt we make a run this year because we don't have a group of guys who have played 2-3 years. Usually it takes an experienced group. But if we're hot, we could be trouble in the CUSA tournament.

Hell, at least we are having this discussion. Thats progress. I see us losing to WKU, UAB, MT, La Tech. But winning a couple of tourney games to finish above .500. Get in the CIT or CBI and win a game. Thats very good progress from what was happening at the start of the year.

Hell, DD could get COTY in CUSA.

If we play like we have in the last 4 games, we won't lose any of our remaining home games, including LA Tech. Need a victory badly over WKU Saturday at Bowling Green, because the other two road games, MTSU and UAB, will be extremely difficult. 17-14 going into CUSA tourney; get a couple wins, or more, there and we have 19 or more wins. Should get us into one of the 4-5 post season tourneys, hopefully with a home game or two. Just can't lose to schools like Ohio U and Appy State like we did the last times we were in the post season and had home games.

IMO, in order for us to have a chance to win the conference tournament, we need to finish in the top 4 and get a first round bye. We simply do not have enough depth to play 4 games in 4 days. I think our guys would be exhausted by the semi-final game. Unless we had a couple of blow-out wins and we were able to limit the minutes played of our starters.

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT