ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
we just win the C-USA basketball conference tourney and you post this? Pathetic

Who really watches those commercials anyway? I am not saying that they shouldn't have caught the error but at the end of the day I seriously doubt that anyone really cares about the error being discussed. I doubt that anyone would say, " I would love to hire you but you went to Marshall and they produced a commercial one time that contained a grammatical error in it".

Who really watches those commercials anyway? I am not saying that they shouldn't have caught the error but at the end of the day I seriously doubt that anyone really cares about the error being discussed. I doubt that anyone would say, " I would love to hire you but you went to Marshall and they produced a commercial one time that contained a grammatical error in it".
Exactly. Completely pointless thread. Mods, would you consider locking this one?? This fool is not going to quit. Don't feed the troll........

Exactly. Completely pointless thread. Mods, would you consider locking this one?? This fool is not going to quit. Don't feed the troll........

It's pointless to call out a university that claims to educate people yet uses improper grammar in its nationally televised commercials? Again, raise your standards. That's why your state and your school are ranked so low in so many categories.

"Well," it's a television commercial, so most of the audience isn't reading anything unless they are deaf.

It's not all the same. This is an institution that supposedly prides itself on educating people. There is a right way and a wrong way to use those two words. Marshall used the incorrect way grammatically. It's reflective of the university, the city, and the state as a whole.

When you accept failure and have low standards, you will mostly get failure and low results.

This isn't a press release that leaked out and only had one person quickly reviewing it for any errors. This is a nationally televised commercial shown all year that hundreds of thousands of viewers see each time. It had to have been reviewed and approved through multiple levels, I am assuming, all the way to the top. This is as bad as the local advertising agency Marshall paid for many years that ripped off commercials from other schools in the recent past and passed them off as their own.

Forward your critique to MARSHALL President, Dr. Jerome A. Gilbert.
He came to us from Mississippi.....another state you will make fun of...Ryan Koobe.

HerdZilla22

Last edited:
Reactions: 31Herd55
Hey Ryan, try this declarative sentence. And, frankly Ryan, we don't give a damn!.....quote from Gone with the Wind.

HerdZilla22...AND, your HERD DADDY in Charlotte.

Reactions: 31Herd55
I will just say this. I worked at D&E College in the mid-1970s. D&E is a small liberal arts college located in Elkins with an enrollment of 800. Cam Henderson coached there before leaving for Marshall.

D&E played for national championships in NAIA soccer during those years but nothing of the magnitude of an NCAA tourney. Every written document, letter, brochure, newsletter, or speech, etc. was carefully scrutinized for grammatical errors. It was just totally unacceptable to make a spelling or grammatical error on anything representing the college. The college took too much pride in anything representing higher learning and the school.

As a private school, we had to attract major donations from foundations, corporations, private sonors and alumns to grow. That was our policy at the time.

Was the promo something made in house by MU personnel themselves? Or was this something commercially produced by a PR firm? If the latter, then at worst Marshall could be accused of being a little lax in reviewing a product it purchased!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I will just say this. I worked at D&E College in the mid-1970s. D&E is a small liberal arts college located in Elkins with an enrollment of 800. Cam Henderson coached there before leaving for Marshall.
They have certainly grown over the years.

It was just totally unacceptable to make a spelling or grammatical error on anything representing the college. The college took too much pride in anything representing higher learning and the school.

Which is the way it should be. This isn’t a local commercial for the small used car lot. This is a nationally televised commercial that is frequently aired during sporting events from an institution that claims to be in the business of educating people . . . including in English.

Was the promo something made in house by MU personnel themselves? Or was this something commercially produced by a PR firm? If the latter, then at worst Marshall could be accused of being a little lax in reviewing a product it purchased!

I think you don’t know the difference between “at best” and “at worst.”

Which is the way it should be. This isn’t a local commercial for the small used car lot. This is a nationally televised commercial that is frequently aired during sporting events from an institution that claims to be in the business of educating people . . . including in English.

I think you don’t know the difference between “at best” and “at worst.”

OH NO......oldherd...has been called out & corrected by Ryan Koobe......for not writing...."At best [worst], Marshall......xxxxxxxx"

HerdZilla22 =====Graduate of Marshall's Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications......(When Journalism was not "yellow or fake" like today's CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, Washington Post & NY Times). Let's HERD it for Fox News.

Just to further confuse the subject, farther is an Americanism. In England, further is usually used for both physical and figurative distance. IMHO regional dialects are acceptable for non-academic speaking, and farther and further are interchangeable in central Appalachian dialect.

Rifle, on a side note....As you have lived in various regions of the country, can you or do you slip in and out of dialects and accents based on where you are at the moment? I often find myself doing this. Usually it is little things (I am aware of where I say "pop" or "soda", for example, or "lightning bug" here vs "firefly" on Plains), but give me a day in the Northeast or the Deep South and I automatically mirror the locals in both dialect and accent.

Ma
Just to further confuse the subject, farther is an Americanism. In England, further is usually used for both physical and figurative distance. IMHO regional dialects are acceptable for non-academic speaking, and farther and further are interchangeable in central Appalachian dialect.

Rifle, on a side note....As you have lived in various regions of the country, can you or do you slip in and out of dialects and accents based on where you are at the moment? I often find myself doing this. Usually it is little things (I am aware of where I say "pop" or "soda", for example, or "lightning bug" here vs "firefly" on Plains), but give me a day in the Northeast or the Deep South and I automatically mirror the locals in both dialect and accent.

Just think if he would have said, " Y'all, I am fixin' to go over yonder and get above my raisin'."

His head would have exploded.

OH NO......oldherd...has been called out & corrected by Ryan Koobe......for not writing...."At best [worst], Marshall......xxxxxxxx"

HerdZilla22 =====Graduate of Marshall's Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications......(When Journalism was not "yellow or fake" like today's CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, Washington Post & NY Times). Let's HERD it for Fox News.

Yeah, Zilla. I guess Y.A.G. has got plenty of time to read his old English handbooks since spring football practice has not started so he is not busy washing practice pants and/or jock straps at whatever Division 2 school he is at this year. Or is that a NAIA institution? Can't keep up with his current stopover on his meteoric path to the College Football Hall of Fame!!

Regardless if he makes funn of how I talk I hope rifle lands a big time job. But ever notice how a lot of great coaches have that southern draw. The accent in kentucky has far more twang than west Virginia. Around Jenkins, whitesburg, harlin,Corbin,Somerset. Those tellers really have that draw.

Just a little info, if you study cultural geography, you will find that the Appalachian Plateau Geologic region, particularly the southern, and mid southern portions, have the same culture and accents as folks from Oklahoma, Texas, Ozarks in Arkansas etc. They call it the texas draw, which in itself is not a texas draw because it didn't originate in texas, it came from the plateau region, which was born from the Scotch-Irish dialect, folks that settled in texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, were largely from the Appalachians. People with this accent and terminology are actually closer to saying things correct in pronunciation that the uppity people in other parts of the country when the original English dialect is the goal. I have been corrected many times, very seldom were they correct in correcting me lol The biggest reason for the retention of dialect and traditions (blue grass music is close to irish music, clodding is an irish dance form) was the geographic isolation from the rest of the evolving east for many years because the mountains were hard to pass thru.

Just a little info, if you study cultural geography, you will find that the Appalachian Plateau Geologic region, particularly the southern, and mid southern portions, have the same culture and accents as folks from Oklahoma, Texas, Ozarks in Arkansas etc. .

Bingo! I will agree in the commercial it was grammatically incorrect, that could very well be the reason. Although, I will agree with YG it may not have been the smartest move keeping it in a nationally televised commercial. One poster asked; "Who cares about commercials?". Alumni do! Knowing around 33% of all MU enrolled are from outside of WV. You would like to see the institution put its best foot forward.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Honestly, I didn't see the commercial to know what was said, I just expanded on what sisters was saying with the dialect, many do not realize how, or why our region is soo different than the rest of the country and why it has been soo slow at evolving the way the east, northeast etc did. Those not from here wouldn't understand it unless it's put to them in that way. Take a class on it, its actually interesting how geology and geography comingle with culture. When I lived in DC, many thought I was from Texas, many would tell me I was saying something wrong in pronunciation, when actually I was more correct in saying it than they were lol according to old texts, it was quite fun to let them know how incorrect they were. I had the privilege of studying cultural geography and Appalachian geography at Radford University.

Yeah, Zilla. I guess Y.A.G. has got plenty of time to read his old English handbooks since spring football practice has not started so he is not busy washing practice pants and/or jock straps at whatever Division 2 school he is at this year. Or is that a NAIA institution? Can't keep up with his current stopover on his meteoric path to the College Football Hall of Fame!!

Chuckle Chuckle Chuckle
......I all most peed on myself reading your post, oldeherd....

Zilla22

Honestly, I didn't see the commercial to know what was said, I just expanded on what sisters was saying with the dialect, many do not realize how, or why our region is soo different than the rest of the country and why it has been soo slow at evolving the way the east, northeast etc did. Those not from here wouldn't understand it unless it's put to them in that way. Take a class on it, its actually interesting how geology and geography comingle with culture. When I lived in DC, many thought I was from Texas, many would tell me I was saying something wrong in pronunciation, when actually I was more correct in saying it than they were lol according to old texts, it was quite fun to let them know how incorrect they were. I had the privilege of studying cultural geography and Appalachian geography at Radford University.
Good thing they don't have any accents or dialect variations in in New York, New Jersey, or Boston.

J
IMHO regional dialects are acceptable for non-academic speaking, and farther and further are interchangeable in central Appalachian dialect.

That's absolute horseshit. A higher percentage of the population in regions of Appalachia don't know when to use "was" vs. "were." Based on your argument, you think it is acceptable for people who live in certain areas to say "we was about to go to the store." That's bullshit and is an excuse to accept their stupidity . . . exactly why I have said people from WV need to raise their standards in this thread.

Just because a lot of people do something incorrectly doesn't make it right nor should it be accepted.

I've never been able to do that on purpose or not. Within 20 seconds of conversation down here, people immediately say "you're not from here; where are you from." I don't have a strong NY accent, because they can't tell that I am from there, but they just know I am not from here.

I also don't change my words: soda is soda no matter where I am, etc.

Reactions: johns1124

1) Spring practice has started, moron
2) I've never been at a D2 school, moron, and signed the employment papers to be a coordinator at an FBS about six weeks ago, moron.
3) Never been at an NAIA, moron.
4) After just one year of coaching, and not knowing anyone in the industry, I was a full-time coach at a top 25 FCS. Most college coaches would be content with that at some point during their entire career. My position units have routinely led the country and been in the top 10 in major statistical categories at the D1 level. My recruiting has put my teams in the top 10 nationally even though we had no business being there and led an FBS conference back-to-back seasons, moron.
5) I've never washed football clothes, moron.

Now, would you like to compare my career successes across all industries compared to yours over three times as many years working, moron? Don't be a coward.

Chuckle Chuckle Chuckle......I all most peed on myself reading your post, oldeherd....

Zilla22

That's not because anything he said was funny, but rather, because you're an old, fat, out-of-shape, short, bald, demented dork.

2) I've never been at a D2 school, moron, and signed the employment papers to be a coordinator at an FBS about six weeks ago, moron.
4) After just one year of coaching, and not knowing anyone in the industry, I was a full-time coach at a top 25 FCS. Most college coaches would be content with that at some point during their entire career. My position units have routinely led the country and been in the top 10 in major statistical categories at the D1 level. My recruiting has put my teams in the top 10 nationally even though we had no business being there and led an FBS conference back-to-back seasons, moron.

Now, would you like to compare my career successes across all industries compared to yours over three times as many years working, moron? Don't be a coward.

That's not because anything he said was funny, but rather, because you're an old, fat, out-of-shape, short, bald, demented dork.

Ryan...make sure you add with a hurting back (non-operable) to your list describing me! Playing Sports until age 69 catches up with an older man.
For a 70 year old guy [nice looking too---he he he he]...most folks think I'm about 53 years old. It must be the Oil of Oley working for me. Naw...just good living for me and God continues to Bless me daily. Will you make it to age age 70? Probably not! Your ruthless heart will give out on you.

BTW...congrats Ryan on your coaching success ladder. "It warms my heart when a Son of Marshall does well"....Kinder Sweeney

Go HERD...Beat the Shockers.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Last edited:
Good thing they don't have any accents or dialect variations in in New York, New Jersey, or Boston.
Lol they do, but they don't admit it. Boston (had an office with a company I worked for in DC that was there) folks know they have an accent, but at the same time they think they say it right and you say it wrong lol Same goes for any area that is different from one another really

so did you leave the state of Texas?
is that FCS school the one you had to sue to get your wages?
The FBS school that lead the conference in recruiting in back to back years, did they add you as a full time coach?

Boy he never dropped a bomb on Raoul before. What rifle is doing is making fun of how people talk and using the right words properly. Nobody gives a crap but rifle. Seriously what a waste of time. If he doesn't believe in God then quit acting like one. Boy I knew when you boys "not me" made fun of his career we would all pay. Rifle is now the most arrogant negative person on the board. I feel bad for him for some reason.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Ryan...make sure you add with a hurting back to your list describing me!
For a 70 year old man...most folks think I'm about 53 years old. It must be the Oil of Oley working for me. Naw...just good living for me and God continues to Bless me daily. Will you make it to age age 70? Probably not! Your ruthless heart will give out on you.

BTW...congrats on your coaching success ladder. It warms my heart when a Son of Marshall does well.....

Go HERD...Beat the Shockers.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte
Villa he will get on his knees and confess Jesus is Lord if he doesn't have a heart transplant. You know I'm talking spiritually. Pray for him villa. Rifle would really be good at spreading the good news

People around here think people with that new York accent are snobby people. That's just as silly as judging Someone's IQ by what kind of accent they have here. When I moved here everyone thought I was from Columbus. Over the years I wish I had that true Appalachia accent.

You are one thin skinned, petty little man.

I know at some point the Mods will shake their heads and lock this thread. It's like the prophet who is standing out in the town square shouting "The End is Nigh! (Or is it more correct to type near?)" The people of the town at first don't know whether or not to believe him, but as the weeks and years go by just tune him out as he grows older and more haggardly and his voice dwindles to a whisper. But, if you were to draw near this God-forsaken human being, now lying (or is it laying?) prostrate in the town square, you can still faintly, oh, so faintly, hear him say....."I might (may?) have been mistaken!"
Back to reality!

So pumped for the team as they wing their way westward (Ho!)) to "America's Finest City", San Diego, CA!! Shock the Shockers!!

Go HERD !!!

Reactions: Herd Fever
Lol they do, but they don't admit it. Boston (had an office with a company I worked for in DC that was there) folks know they have an accent, but at the same time they think they say it right and you say it wrong lol Same goes for any area that is different from one another really

This isn't about accents.

Accents are entirely different than using the wrong word grammatically. This isn't even about pronunciation. It's about using the wrong word. It is embarrassing for an institution that claims to educate people in English to butcher that subject in one of their very few pieces of national marketing. So many of you not caring about that proves my point about the state and the university.

so did you leave the state of Texas?

Which time? I have been in Texas three different stints.

is that FCS school the one you had to sue to get your wages?

The rest of my wages. One FCS was top 25 every year, won the conference every year, beat an FBS every year, and my position unit led the country in pass efficiency before signing a CFL contract. The other FCS finished #9 in recruiting in my only year there and my position unit finished in the top 10 in the country in passing yards, total offense per game, completions per game, and TD/INT ratio . . . with just a sophomore in his first year starting. He was one of five FCS QBs invited to the Manning Passing Academy . . . as just a sophomore. After I left, he was dismissed from the team even though he didn't have a single discipline problem under me. It's ok, you can go ahead and congratulate me for everything.

The FBS school that lead the conference in recruiting in back to back years, did they add you as a full time coach?

Yes, they did. They didn't finish the next year leading the conference in recruiting. After I departed, they slid from #1 down to #4 or #5.

You are one thin skinned, petty little man.

Because I respond back to personal jabs by mocking the people who make them, it means I am the thin skinned one? Hmmm. I think you need to revisit the logic behind your thinking.

I know at some point the Mods will shake their heads and lock this thread. It's like the prophet who is standing out in the town square shouting "The End is Nigh! (Or is it more correct to type near?)" The people of the town at first don't know whether or not to believe him, but as the weeks and years go by just tune him out as he grows older and more haggardly and his voice dwindles to a whisper. But, if you were to draw near this God-forsaken human being, now lying (or is it laying?) prostrate in the town square, you can still faintly, oh, so faintly, hear him say....."I might (may?) have been mistaken!"
Back to reality!
Go HERD !!!

Spare us your stories. They aren't entertaining.

My dad use to say that this area hacks the English language to death. Just remembered that. That's what rifle is saying

his isn't about accents.

Accents are entirely different than using the wrong word grammatically. This isn't even about pronunciation. It's about using the wrong word. It is embarrassing for an institution that claims to educate people in English to butcher that subject in one of their very few pieces of national marketing. So many of you not caring about that proves my point about the state and the university.
-----------------------

Okkkk you fargin' icehole

Last edited:
That's absolute horseshit. A higher percentage of the population in regions of Appalachia don't know when to use "was" vs. "were." Based on your argument, you think it is acceptable for people who live in certain areas to say "we was about to go to the store." That's bullshit and is an excuse to accept their stupidity . . . exactly why I have said people from WV need to raise their standards in this thread.

Just because a lot of people do something incorrectly doesn't make it right nor should it be accepted.

I've never been able to do that on purpose or not. Within 20 seconds of conversation down here, people immediately say "you're not from here; where are you from." I don't have a strong NY accent, because they can't tell that I am from there, but they just know I am not from here.

I also don't change my words: soda is soda no matter where I am, etc.

You confuse dialect and just stupid shit. I'm pretty equal opportunity with it; I don't care if African Americans say "ax" instead of "ask", but if they say "we be gettin' us some whatever" they are just stupid. Anyway, I searched "farther" on Oxford's website, and it goes FU and takes me to "further".

I have a fairly flat Midland accent, maybe that makes it easy to pick up stuff. Dialect, there's a line in Indiana where stuff just gets weird and two different people will call the same thing something different.

Sorry, YAK sheet nots, but no where close to a "moron", you arrogant ARSE!!

Tell me this, "super coach" and "ace recruiter". Do you go all ape crap and get on your grammar and
diction soap box when, at whatever exalted (in your mind) institution you are now "coaching", one of the blue chip and 5 star recruits you round up in droves annually opens his mouth and clearing reveals that he has NO DAMN CLUE as to the difference between "ask" and "aks"?? As in "aks me a question, coach, and I'll tell you why you should give me a scholarship to Berthune Kookman"!!

Do you just swallow hard, Coach YAKIE, and just "grin and bear it"? Hoping that this "budding Einstein" will ink the grant-in-aid to Podunk State you hold in your sweaty hands. Or do you go into the sanctimonious, self righteous rant to castigate his obvious (to you) ignorance, lack of education, poor enunciation, etc., which you are quick to do on this site concerning others' posts? I think we all know the answer, even if you can't admit it, YAKnots!

Which time? I have been in Texas three different stints.

The rest of my wages. One FCS was top 25 every year, won the conference every year, beat an FBS every year, and my position unit led the country in pass efficiency before signing a CFL contract. The other FCS finished #9 in recruiting in my only year there and my position unit finished in the top 10 in the country in passing yards, total offense per game, completions per game, and TD/INT ratio . . . with just a sophomore in his first year starting. He was one of five FCS QBs invited to the Manning Passing Academy . . . as just a sophomore. After I left, he was dismissed from the team even though he didn't have a single discipline problem under me. It's ok, you can go ahead and congratulate me for everything.

Yes, they did. They didn't finish the next year leading the conference in recruiting. After I departed, they slid from #1 down to #4 or #5.

Because I respond back to personal jabs by mocking the people who make them, it means I am the thin skinned one? Hmmm. I think you need to revisit the logic behind your thinking.

Spare us your stories. They aren't entertaining.

RYAN.....were you a butthole while playing catcher for Marshall-----or did someone in Huntington make you a scornful man? You appear to be an intelligent guy...but you are a master at being CONDESCENDING to folks that love & support Marshall.

I have never read a kind remark from you!

No One WINS by raking on everyone!

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT