ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. Coach Huff Pulls No Punches in His Postgame.

That's how a coach talks who expects his team to win. Any concern I had while watching the game is gone after seeing that
Yup. He said what everyone in that stadium and watching at home was thinking.

The stats and the result of this game are a mirage. We played like garbage and he knows it and accepts it.

He's such a breath of fresh air.

It's refreshing to watch a game, see how we played with my own eyes having been around football for 30 years, and then have the coach put into perspective exactly what I watched... We did not play a good game last nigh offensively. Turnovers, penalties, etc. Many of us said as much during the game.

No more "I thought our guys played their hearts out" or "We have some things to get fixed for next week" or "_______ (inferior opponent) played a great game and they are a really good football team" etc.

We won, awesome... But we gotta be better than we were last night if we are going to win the next two weeks.

Kudos to coach Huff for calling it like we all actually saw it.

From a mentality standpoint this is the kid of coach I have always wanted.

I would have to think our Supafans are at odds right now with their emotions.

On the one hand, they're thrilled with the score, as usual, no matter the circumstances which lead us there.

On the other, they also are expecting themselves to go into boot licking mode to defend any criticisms, tell us how it wasn't Coach's fault, and we should be grateful we even have a team, football and cleats to wear.

It's ok Supafans, this is how the top programs in college football are run.

We won due to the talent gap and getting the offense clicking at times, but this was a I-AA opponent, and we will get our socks knocked off if we pull that crap against teams like Appy State.

I’m impressed with Coach Huff and his honesty. It’s a breath of fresh air in what has been a stale room.
I am not tech savvy enough to pull it off, but would love for someone to do a split screen video where Lengyel’s “how you play today” is opposite Huff’s “how we play the game”…..

I’m impressed with Coach Huff and his honesty. It’s a breath of fresh air in what has been a stale room.
He asked the media if that was it after fielding the soft questions he did, he completely wasn’t worried about what they were going to say and it wasn’t the same old script as we’d gotten accustomed to

I love the energy, clarity and brevity of Coach Huff's pressers. Plus he was able to work in a "Rat Poison" reference!

@BleedsGreen33 @herdalicious @wvkeeper(HN) @19MU88 @ARandomHerdFan
bill-hader-watching.gif

On the one hand, they're thrilled with the score, as usual, no matter the circumstances which lead us there.

On the other, they also are expecting themselves to go into boot licking mode to defend any criticisms, tell us how it wasn't Coach's fault, and we should be grateful we even have a team, football and cleats to wear.

We won due to the talent gap and getting the offense clicking at times, but this was a I-AA opponent, and we will get our socks knocked off if we pull that crap against teams like Appy State.
Perkins is too pre-occupied arguing with high school kids now.

The media (post game) was like most of the fans in the stadium during the game….zombies.
I have to say, Our pool of reporters asking ? is very mediocre. Even the way they deliver the questions is like listening to a metronome! Deliver it with gusto!! A woman asked a ? @ the midweek presser. Get her in there more often! Get Jake Griffin in the mix. He’s an up & coming broadcaster that has a herd on! We need some juice in the pressers. Huff be like “Is that it?”
He deserves reporters with at least a heart beat asking him about our Herd……

"Our press has been browbeat into submission the last 10 years."

Out-of-town herd fans are being screwed by TV, media and our own forums by erecting excessively priced paywalls. So O-of-T fans decline; no news leads to no interest. All we know about the facts behind the score in this game with NC Central is what the new coach broadcasts and what game summaries from ESPN reveal. It took me half-a-game to find Steve Cotton on Tune-in for free under "93.7 The Dawg".

• Wow
Reactions: ru4_mu2

What would a “Superfan” be at odds over?

I do like this brand of honesty over the mumblecore we used to get, but he might want to take the edge off his mea culpas a little. Coachspeak exists for a reason: because its hard to keep coming up with new and inventive ways of saying "we f'ed up and I'm sorry."

People got irritated by Mark Snyder's "Gotta Get That Fixed" and Doc Holiday's big hits "He's Got a Thing" and "We'll Get in the Film Room (and Work That Out)." Truth is the words didn't matter, it was what they were explaining away that everyone was actually upset with, and the more frequently those words were being used was a product of them more frequently being necessary. That's what ultimately costs you your job.

Reactions: Jartard and RhinoD
I do like this brand of honesty over the mumblecore we used to get, but he might want to take the edge off his mea culpas a little. Coachspeak exists for a reason: because its hard to keep coming up with new and inventive ways of saying "we f'ed up and I'm sorry."

People got irritated by Mark Snyder's "Gotta Get That Fixed" and Doc Holiday's big hits "He's Got a Thing" and "We'll Get in the Film Room (and Work That Out)." Truth is the words didn't matter, it was what they were explaining away that everyone was actually upset with, and the more frequently those words were being used was a product of them more frequently being necessary. That's what ultimately costs you your job.
I am certain that we have faculty in the J-School who would be willing to help him improve in the area of crafting a message.

And I agree, there has to be a line between over the top "tough love" honesty 100% of the time and the same 5-6 cliches every postgame... For now, I think we all are fine with him calling it like it is but that style will wear thin eventually.

Reactions: herdalicious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT