ADVERTISEMENT

impressive number of quakes off PNW coast

The biggest problem with lithium right now isn’t that we don’t have enough, but that we won’t be able to extract it quick enough.

And this brings us to a conundrum for the Left, which has been on record as being against extraction, better known as mining...

Even as it relates to bitcoin mining...

We should be building nuclear plants right now.

Raoul says this too. I'm not a one size fits all kind of guy and I'm also not oblivious to the fact that there are two sides to every coin - pros and cons if you will.

I think it is ironic that many on the Left were vehemently against nukes in the past and are now promoting them to drive their EV agenda and desires. So this is yet another conundrum for the Left.

Raoul seems to oversimplify issues and only sees one side of the coin while calling me an idiot for raising counterpoints. In doing so he neglects the fact that it is much easier to say we need to build nukes rather than actually building them.

Political, environmental and other opposition aside, it is very hard to get a nuke plant financed, much less build it within budget.

Terrible. Electric cars are still just for rich people who want to make a political statement. The only statement I see is paying a high price for something that's a pain in the ass to power and probably a much much bigger pain in the ass if you ever have to have it worked on.

What about tire rotations and fixing stuff on it? Nowhere would probably do it. Dealership only. You take it to an auto mechanic and they would approach it slowly as if they were sitting down to eat octopus, and then would just say to hell with working on it or touching it.

5) Not sure why EVs would make us more reliant on them. We can get the lithium from Australia.

The biggest problem with lithium right now isn’t that we don’t have enough, but that we won’t be able to extract it quick enough.

This made me a little more curious. If you haven't figured out China's goals, MO and end-play by now you likely never will. However you did follow this up with a caveat that it would be a challenge to get the needed lithium extracted in Australia. Then China's Afghanistan play makes a little more sense...

It’s a challenge to get the lithium from anywhere because it’s not expensive enough to motivate people to mine it yet. South America is much richer in it than Afghanistan anyway.

Also, I would like to note that the reason I got an EV has nothing to do with anything I’ve written in here. It’s not for the environment or whatever else. I bought it because it cost about the same to buy as a similar used ICE car, costs less to run and maintain, and most importantly I don’t have to worry about oil changes. I am terrible about getting my oil changed anywhere close to when I’m supposed to and I’m shocked my last car survived it. EVs don’t use oil, so I don’t have that problem.

And for 98% of people that’s what it’s going to boil down to. They’re not going to go way out of their way for the environment, they’re going to buy them when they make sense for them personally.

California can't even meet electricity needs as they currently (pun intended) exist. How the fvck are they going to power all these electric vehicles? Rolling charging dates? Bunch of jackasses more concerned with virtue signaling than practical concerns.

California can't even meet electricity needs as they currently (pun intended) exist. How the fvck are they going to power all these electric vehicles? Rolling charging dates? Bunch of jackasses more concerned with virtue signaling than practical concerns.
The whole thing is and they can't.

I saw some commercial that said the USA is going to be the world's clean Energy super power. Well, do you think China and Russia are concerned about clean energy?We won't be a super power going down this road and we likely have already been surpassed by China.

It's all fake and awful like the bird flu.

The only way to keep living with relative sanity is to tune the shit out really. It's all talk, all pie in the sky garbage that really can't happen. If I could remember that, I could die in relative peace.

Also, I would like to note that the reason I got an EV has nothing to do with anything I’ve written in here. It’s not for the environment or whatever else. I bought it because it cost about the same to buy as a similar used ICE car, costs less to run and maintain, and most importantly I don’t have to worry about oil changes. I am terrible about getting my oil changed anywhere close to when I’m supposed to and I’m shocked my last car survived it. EVs don’t use oil, so I don’t have that problem.

Gotcha and I get and respect that. We have voluntary recycling here and I see some virtue signaling going on. People driving a BEV while loading up their garbage with recyclables.

I'm not against BEVs per se, I just recognize their inherent limitations and realize there may be better and more practical alternatives in the future.

Interesting anecdote. Twenty years ago a friend bought a Honda Insight. He drove a lot as a regional troubleshooter. They had problems with battery degradation though he never experienced it. He got a no-cost replacement set after 250k miles. He got another 350k miles on the second battery. He ended up getting 600k miles out of that car with very little running costs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT