ADVERTISEMENT

Why?

redsfan5590

Silver Buffalo
Dec 14, 2010
i asked this in another thread but I’m curious, take all of the other “doc hate” out of this. I’m not interested in your love or hate of Doc.

My question is: why do fans feel they deserve to know the injury report before the game?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I don't know, why would a person who buys a ticket to an Aerosmith concert want to know if Steven Tyler was going to be singing lead or some other dude?

It's actually more than that, not only do we buy the ticket to the concert, we help pay for the tour bus, the equipment, the band's meals, etc. I think that gives us the right to know.

I don't know, why would a person who buys a ticket to an Aerosmith concert want to know if Steven Tyler was going to be singing lead or some other dude?

It's actually more than that, not only do we buy the ticket to the concert, we help pay for the tour bus, the equipment, the band's meals, etc. I think that gives us the right to know.

Well, by that analogy we should also get the playbook and a print out of the game plan. I mean, we’re payig for the “tour bus” so we should get to know if the band is going to play the hits! If I’m paying for the tour bus then I better get to know the set list.

Your analogy doesn’t fit. It’s trash.

Way to go redsfan5590. You ask a question of the board, get an answer you don’t agree with, insult the poster, and then be a dick. If you don’t like answers other than what you want to hear don’t ask.

How did I insult the poster? I said his analogy was trash. It was. You can’t compare a band playing a concert with a college football team playing a game against an opponent.

Not, you are just upset that I gave a good reason. Don't ask questions you don't want answered.

GreenDuke, you should be well aware that the ACC puts out uniform injury reports and has done so for the last few seasons. Every college team should put out a report with players who are out/doubtful/questionable. It violates HIPPA in no way because no medical detail is given. The reality is that every school will be doing it within 3-5 years due to the legalization of college sports betting across a broader spectrum.

Reactions: chuck1069
Well, by that analogy we should also get the playbook and a print out of the game plan. I mean, we’re payig for the “tour bus” so we should get to know if the band is going to play the hits! If I’m paying for the tour bus then I better get to know the set list.

Your analogy doesn’t fit. It’s trash.

Oh, by the way, you call my analogy trash when you spent a paragraph building a strawman? Wanting to know who is going to be performing on the field is no different than wanting to know who is going to be performing with a band. They are both entertainment options and the answer to the question may well be a deciding factor on where discretionary income is spent.

Contrary to the belief of some, college football exists for the students, the town, and the fans, not for the players and coaches. Players and coaches come and go. The students, town and fans don't support the football program then it will cease to exist. Some programs want to act like they own nothing to those stakeholders when in reality they owe everything to them.

I've stated on here before, but any coach who thinks withholding injury info is an advantage is an idiot, or they think the opposing coach is one.

Not, you are just upset that I gave a good reason. Don't ask questions you don't want answered.

GreenDuke, you should be well aware that the ACC puts out uniform injury reports and has done so for the last few seasons. Every college team should put out a report with players who are out/doubtful/questionable. It violates HIPPA in no way because no medical detail is given. The reality is that every school will be doing it within 3-5 years due to the legalization of college sports betting across a broader spectrum.

Doesn’t Marshall do the same?

The ACC is the only conference currently that does it. The SEC and Big 12 look set to do it soon, maybe next season. Marshall puts out no kind of injury report.

Way to go redsfan5590. You ask a question of the board, get an answer you don’t agree with, insult the poster, and then be a dick. If you don’t like answers other than what you want to hear don’t ask.
bb - if you define being a dick the response reds gave Banker, you need to douche. Your waaay to sensitive to post on a message board, much less one with the sort of heartless characters we have on here. Come back after you have inserted the rag...

Because we just fvcking want to that’s why. Your question is trash
Marine - perhaps your opinion is trash? Your premise that we have any sort of “rights” in being fans of an amatuer college football team is ludicrous on its face. Here are our rights as I see them:
1. We have the right (read choice) to financially support the team, or not.
2. We have the right to expect that when we attend an event, there will be reasonable efforts made by the University to offer a safe environment in which to witness said event.
3. See rules 1 and 2......
That’s it. Tell me why I am mistaken.....

Oh, by the way, you call my analogy trash when you spent a paragraph building a strawman? Wanting to know who is going to be performing on the field is no different than wanting to know who is going to be performing with a band. They are both entertainment options and the answer to the question may well be a deciding factor on where discretionary income is spent.

Contrary to the belief of some, college football exists for the students, the town, and the fans, not for the players and coaches. Players and coaches come and go. The students, town and fans don't support the football program then it will cease to exist. Some programs want to act like they own nothing to those stakeholders when in reality they owe everything to them.

I've stated on here before, but any coach who thinks withholding injury info is an advantage is an idiot, or they think the opposing coach is one.

So what you’re telling me is your level of interest in the program is affected by who the starting QB is?

Your post is a crock. In one paragraph you beat your chest about how college football exists for the fans, town, school blah blah blah... and that players and coaches don’t matter. — but then you say that whether or not a player plays will decide if you go to the game. Which is it? Because you said players come and go. And college football isn’t about them.

By the way, most coaches in the NFL (where there are uniform injury reports) treat it like a complete joke. Just look at the patriots injury report every week. Coaches believe it gives them an advantage. And I’m inclined to believe Bill Belichick over you when it comes to football.

Marine - perhaps your opinion is trash? Your premise that we have any sort of “rights” in being fans of an amatuer college football team is ludicrous on its face. Here are our rights as I see them:
1. We have the right (read choice) to financially support the team, or not.
2. We have the right to expect that when we attend an event, there will be reasonable efforts made by the University to offer a safe environment in which to witness said event.
3. See rules 1 and 2......
That’s it. Tell me why I am mistaken.....

Honestly I don’t really care. Fact is it’s just more of the same from Doc and the AD that’s managed to piss off the fan base in the past few years. From injury reports, fan bashing by Hamrick, wins and losses, reunion team debacles, etc, etc, etc. I’m not sure why the question had to be asked by redfan to begin with.

So this was just a "I'm a super fan and better than everybody else" post disguised as a question. Good for you.

As mlblack pointed out in the other thread ( and I have to repeat here since you are an attention seeking ho who felt it necessary to start another thread so people would focus on you), if I shouldn't care who the starting QB is why should I care about any of the players? Hell, why even go to the game if it's just 22 nameless, faceless people running around out there? If they don't matter as individuals, why in the world should I give money to help pay for their scholarships, food, books and housing while they are here?

And yes, players and coaches come and go. That doesn't mean that you don't want to have some kind of rooting attachment tied to them while they are here and want to see them succeed.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Honestly I don’t really care. Fact is it’s just more of the same from Doc and the AD that’s managed to piss off the fan base in the past few years. From injury reports, fan bashing by Hamrick, wins and losses, reunion team debacles, etc, etc, etc. I’m not sure why the question had to be asked by redfan to begin with.
And there is your biggest untruth if the day!! You absolutely care! If you didn’t care you wouldn’t be on here posting 1000’s of times. I appreciate your service and respect our great military men & women. Just keep it real on here....

The Reason i ask the question is because in all honesty I think the blame for where our program is right now lied with everyone. From the AD to the fans who complain and act like they’re entitled to everything they want, and yet we can’t get more than 26k to come to a home game and can’t get more than 15k to be in the stadium after halftime!

The AD has made plenty of mistakes I think our gameday experience sucks. I think there are a lot of things we could do to make it more fun for those at the games. But I also blame the fans. Because a large number would rather tailgats then come to the game. And when 5-10k people leave at halftime and don’t come back... that’s a problem.

So I ask the original question, to try and understand what is wrong with our fans. Because I’m not going to lie, this sucks and I don’t know how much longer I want to be a Marshall fan if this is what it’s like.

The ACC is the only conference currently that does it. The SEC and Big 12 look set to do it soon, maybe next season. Marshall puts out no kind of injury report.

Interesting, thanks.

When my son was an ACC athlete I guess it was up to the individual schools. That was a number of years ago.

So this was just a "I'm a super fan and better than everybody else" post disguised as a question. Good for you.

As mlblack pointed out in the other thread ( and I have to repeat here since you are an attention seeking ho who felt it necessary to start another thread so people would focus on you), if I shouldn't care who the starting QB is why should I care about any of the players? Hell, why even go to the game if it's just 22 nameless, faceless people running around out there? If they don't matter as individuals, why in the world should I give money to help pay for their scholarships, food, books and housing while they are here?

And yes, players and coaches come and go. That doesn't mean that you don't want to have some kind of rooting attachment tied to them while they are here and want to see them succeed.

You act like Doc is the ONLY one who thinks like this. The fact is you don’t like Doc. And that’s ok, you can have that opinion. Heck, I don’t care if you hate Doc. But to act like Doc is the only football coach who tries to micromanage and control everything is completely off base.

Like I said most coaches don’t like to give more information than they have to. Look at Nick Saban. THE ENTIRE NATION knew who his starting QB was going to be and he still didn’t announce the starter a few weeks into the season. Because he’s looking for the edge.

You can say “aw well that’s stupid” and that’s fine. But to act like our program is somehow unique in that, is just way off. And to threaten to not come to games is even more off.

The Reason i ask the question is because in all honesty I think the blame for where our program is right now lied with everyone. From the AD to the fans who complain and act like they’re entitled to everything they want, and yet we can’t get more than 26k to come to a home game and can’t get more than 15k to be in the stadium after halftime!

The AD has made plenty of mistakes I think our gameday experience sucks. I think there are a lot of things we could do to make it more fun for those at the games. But I also blame the fans. Because a large number would rather tailgats then come to the game. And when 5-10k people leave at halftime and don’t come back... that’s a problem.

So I ask the original question, to try and understand what is wrong with our fans. Because I’m not going to lie, this sucks and I don’t know how much longer I want to be a Marshall fan if this is what it’s like.
The problem lies with the fans? I take no responsibility for what I have seen lately. If we had 30K would have made a difference? No. That is BS. Doc is paid to a job and paid pretty well.

NOT THE FANS FAULT!

Reactions: Marine03
It is the fans fault for not showing up. For not being energetic, for bashing kids and calling them trash (see the posts about green from last week). It is the fans fault for showing an overall apathy about the program over the last several years. Yeah. That is the fans fault. When we lose it’s the end of the world,
When we win, we didn’t win by enough. No matter what it’s always a negative day for Herd fans.

Our fans are entitled. We complain about literally everything win or lose. Fans are absolutely responsible for the mess we are in. Are they completely responsible? Nope. As I said before, a lot if not most, of the blame goes to the administration.

And there is your biggest untruth if the day!! You absolutely care! If you didn’t care you wouldn’t be on here posting 1000’s of times. I appreciate your service and respect our great military men & women. Just keep it real on here....

About the injury report? Not really, as herdman said I only care for the purpose of the spread and that’s only when I’m betting money, otherwise I don’t

It is the fans fault for not showing up. For not being energetic, for bashing kids and calling them trash (see the posts about green from last week). It is the fans fault for showing an overall apathy about the program over the last several years. Yeah. That is the fans fault. When we lose it’s the end of the world,
When we win, we didn’t win by enough. No matter what it’s always a negative day for Herd fans.

Our fans are entitled. We complain about literally everything win or lose. Fans are absolutely responsible for the mess we are in. Are they completely responsible? Nope. As I said before, a lot if not most, of the blame goes to the administration.

Superfan much?

Reactions: mlblack16.
To answer the question.... PAY MORE MONEY AND IM SURE YOU WILL GET THE ANSWERS YOU WANT!

Pay so much money that they will put your name on a building and I’m sure they will tell you if and when someone farted and what it smelled like..!

STUPID QUESTION AND STUPID THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY GET UPSET THAT DOC DOESNT SPEND TIME TALKING ABOUT WHO IS OUT AND WHO IS IN AND WHO IS GONNA START....

Grow up and buy more Marshall gear!

The problem lies with the fans? I take no responsibility for what I have seen lately. If we had 30K would have made a difference? No. That is BS. Doc is paid to a job and paid pretty well.

NOT THE FANS FAULT!

Banker was spot on when he called this guy out for being a Super Fan. They always blame the fans for all that is wrong instead of the coaching staff or players. Yup, if only there were enough fans in the stadium, that would have allowed AT to throw for 400 yards Friday night.

Reactions: Bankerreturns
Logic would dictats that if fans matter and can cause positive changes, then lack of fan support will cause negative changes.

Logically you can’t say that fans don’t matter. But also “fans are what college football is about”

First, you're not sharp enough to realize that the fans you are talking to on this message board are the ones who go to the games, stay in the games after halftime, show up in the rain, give to the Big Green, etc., which begs the question, are you only talking to hear yourself talk?

Again, I can't believe a school granted you a masters in athletic administration and you are ignorant enough to blame fans for issues, especially the fan base of a G5 school that, despite being located in an economically disadvantaged, shrinking market, has the second highest attendance in the conference and the second highest donation level to the athletic department (we trail only ODU in ticket revenue and donations to athletics).

If anything, the fan base here is abused because the loyalty we feel to a school that suffered a terrible tragedy almost 50 years ago. That loyalty allows the athletic administration to take us for granted and not strive for on field success. They know that we will continue to pay for a mediocre product, so why worry about making it any better. Despite the level of support the school receives from its fans we have less conference championships across all sports than only 2 other teams in a 14 team conference. A conference that consists of nobodies with no tradition, no brand recognition, no following, and hardly any fans that play 4th or 5th fiddle in their home states.

Logic would dictats that if fans matter and can cause positive changes, then lack of fan support will cause negative changes.

Logically you can’t say that fans don’t matter. But also “fans are what college football is about”

This all depends on what your definition of "matter" is. Do fans have any impact on the skill level of a player? No. Do fans have any impact on the skill level and decision making abilities of the coaching staff? No. Then how in the hell are fans responsible for Marshall's lack of a serviceable QB and Doc's constant fvckups as a head coach?

First, you're not sharp enough to realize that the fans you are talking to on this message board are the ones who go to the games, stay in the games after halftime, show up in the rain, give to the Big Green, etc.

“Why would someone buying an Aerosmith ticket want to know if Steven Tyler is singing lead or some other dude”

You yourself insinuated that if you knew the injury report you might not come to a game. So that’s why I approached this the way that I did.

This all depends on what your definition of "matter" is. Do fans have any impact on the skill level of a player? No. Do fans have any impact on the skill level and decision making abilities of the coaching staff? No. Then how in the hell are fans responsible for Marshall's lack of a serviceable QB and Doc's constant fvckups as a head coach?

I never said that fans were responsible for those things, and in fact I even said there was a lot of blame for administration. You heard what you wanted to hear “fans suck it’s all the fans fault” when in reality I said that it is the administrations fault for the mess we are in but fans also share some responsibility.

First, you're not sharp enough to realize that the fans you are talking to on this message board are the ones who go to the games, stay in the games after halftime, show up in the rain, give to the Big Green, etc., which begs the question, are you only talking to hear yourself talk?

Again, I can't believe a school granted you a masters in athletic administration and you are ignorant enough to blame fans for issues, especially the fan base of a G5 school that, despite being located in an economically disadvantaged, shrinking market, has the second highest attendance in the conference and the second highest donation level to the athletic department (we trail only ODU in ticket revenue and donations to athletics).

If anything, the fan base here is abused because the loyalty we feel to a school that suffered a terrible tragedy almost 50 years ago. That loyalty allows the athletic administration to take us for granted and not strive for on field success. They know that we will continue to pay for a mediocre product, so why worry about making it any better. Despite the level of support the school receives from its fans we have less conference championships across all sports than only 2 other teams in a 14 team conference. A conference that consists of nobodies with no tradition, no brand recognition, no following, and hardly any fans that play 4th or 5th fiddle in their home states.
......I know YAGS. YAGS is not a friend of mine....you’re no YAGS....

You been answering every post and then decide to skip one, just picking out one small part. Good move.

......so we are all in agreement that there are only 2 “rights” we have as fans.....anybody else have one?
hmmmmm......seems we are not as entitled to anything we want to know as some thought we were.....

What did I skip banker? Besides you did the same with me. Dude I’m
Arguing with you on two separate posts. Sorry I skipped one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT