ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Hole Filling Games

My conclusion was, of the 3 listed...Army, WVU, and FAU, we actually have a chance to beat FAU.

The two other programs are out of our class.

My conclusion was, of the 3 listed...Army, WVU, and FAU, we actually have a chance to beat FAU.

The two other programs are out of our class.

That's my point.

None of those three schools are options for a possible game on 9/26.

If the North Carolina Governor shuts down the opening of Covid Phase 3 ( September 12) due to college students partying all over the state, football games may not be allowed to have fans. If no fans there is no revenue. Consequently, North Carolina may decide to shelf all football. Now think about this.... adding Charlotte for two games and our season is in dire straits.

So doubling up with an East Division team is not a league mandate? I think many thought it was due to the ODU situation.

Not a mandate anywhere I have seen... But with CUSA, who knows.

So with @Chris McLaughlin confirming an EKU game on Sept. 5, here is now what we know...

9/5 vs. Eastern Kentucky
9/12 at ECU
9/19 vs. App State
10/3 vs. Rice
10/10 at WKU
10/17 at La. Tech
10/24 vs. FAU
10/31 at FIU
11/14 vs. MTSU
11/21 vs. Charlotte

9/26 looks like pretty slim pickin's if we are going to play somebody (with Army off the table)... Just about all of the schools that are trying to play football have conference games that week. Maybe we can call UTEP to get our last league game in that week since New Mexico State cancelled on them.

Sooooooo, Doc gets to "soften up" the Colonels on the 5th before they journey to Morganhole on the 12th. Doc Holliday, after a decade at Marshall, still looking out for, taking care of, his alma mater!!

Do you think WVU needs us to "soften up" EKU?... Do you think we will beat EKU so badly that we will "soften them up"?... Do you think Doc hand-picked EKU to be our first game? – Doubtful on all fronts.

So with @Chris McLaughlin confirming an EKU game on Sept. 5, here is now what we know...

9/5 vs. Eastern Kentucky
9/12 at ECU
9/19 vs. App State
10/3 vs. Rice
10/10 at WKU
10/17 at La. Tech
10/24 vs. FAU
10/31 at FIU
11/14 vs. MTSU
11/21 vs. Charlotte

9/26 looks like pretty slim pickin's if we are going to play somebody (with Army off the table)... Just about all of the schools that are trying to play football have conference games that week. Maybe we can call UTEP to get our last league game in that week since New Mexico State cancelled on them.
We could probably handle UTEP

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

9/5 vs. Eastern Kentucky
9/12 at ECU
9/19 vs. App State
10/3 vs. Rice
10/10 at WKU
10/17 at La. Tech
10/24 vs. FAU
10/31 at FIU
11/14 vs. MTSU
11/21 vs. Charlotte

....& that would be in El Paso....yes?

I don't see why we couldn't. As long as it is in conference, and with the Tetris-like scheduling, it shouldn't be a problem.

Do you think WVU needs us to "soften up" EKU?... Do you think we will beat EKU so badly that we will "soften them up"?... Do you think Doc hand-picked EKU to be our first game? – Doubtful on all fronts.

Well, in year 11 of his tenure if Doc Holliday's 2020 Herd team "struggles" with FCS EKU and doesn't "soften them up" to the point where Doc is able to play a bunch of subs, new players/frosh, etc., to get a good look at several non starters and give them game experience, then his butt should be GONE on the following Monday morning!!

Well, in year 11 of his tenure if Doc Holliday's 2020 Herd team "struggles" with FCS EKU and doesn't "soften them up" to the point where Doc is able to play a bunch of subs, new players/frosh, etc., to get a good look at several non starters and give them game experience, then his butt should be GONE on the following Monday morning!!
Like he should have done last year in the FCS opener. With 4 free games to play redshirts, why didn't Wells run a few series?

I don't think us "softening them up," will be an issue, but I also don't think you're going to see as many reserves play in that game as you'd imagine either.

We have a lot of new faces on both sides of the ball that will be seeing their first real game action. Those guys need those reps to help prepare for the coming weeks.

I'm not saying those other guys don't either, but it's more important for our 1's and 2's to get those reps than it is our 3's and 4's.

Now, there are probably four or five guys that mindset doens't necessarily apply to.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Absolutely the first one. Also the bowl game. All I'm saying is he should have had a few reps to hear the crowd and experience game speed.

Why would you give your 3rd string QB reps over your 2nd string QB in Game 1 knowing that if QB1 goes down that you're NOT going to jump over your 2nd string guy?

Why would you give your 3rd string QB reps over your 2nd string QB in Game 1 knowing that if QB1 goes down that you're NOT going to jump over your 2nd string guy?
You do so to give them some game experience. Jim Harbaugh played his 3rd string QB last year. Why? Because he knew he had a senior starter that was leaving the program, setting up this seasons battle for the starting spot, while allowing both backups to get some needed real game PT. Doc knew his 2nd string QB was done after the season, so why use him in mop up time, when he could have allowed the projected backup for the upcoming season to get some playing time. He could have at least played him during the VMI, Cincinnati, and UCF games. Is Doc aware of the new red shirt rule that went into effect a couple years ago?

Let me try a different angle - your starting QB1 is a total headcase, your QB2 is a senior with a post-surgery-wet-noodle for an arm and expiring eligibility, and your QB3 is an early-enrollee who has shown some degree of promise in practice. Why wouldn't you?

I'm excited for Grant Wells because even though he might not be as physically gifted as some of our recent quarterbacks, he doesn't seem like he will require the whole program to eggshell walk itself off a cliff trying to keep him from punching an OC or getting punched by his roommate/tight end.

You do so to give them some game experience. Jim Harbaugh played his 3rd string QB last year. Why? Because he knew he had a senior starter that was leaving the program, setting up this seasons battle for the starting spot, while allowing both backups to get some needed real game PT. Doc knew his 2nd string QB was done after the season, so why use him in mop up time, when he could have allowed the projected backup for the upcoming season to get some playing time. He could have at least played him during the VMI, Cincinnati, and UCF games. Is Doc aware of the new red shirt rule that went into effect a couple years ago?
I totally agree with you. You have absolutely nothing to lose. Why would you not get the his feet wet? Just another example of John's stubbornness.

Isn’t there a proposal out there where a player could play ANY amount of games this season and not lose eligibility? Also, do you think our recruiting will take a big hit with the ACT being basically meaningless now?

The scoring margin in the games Milton played was 31 points. Marshall didn't have that luxury last season. Which goes back to the question, which games would you have played Wells in?

Using solid logic, you can't find four games that he should've played in.

Let me try a different angle - your starting QB1 is a total headcase, your QB2 is a senior with a post-surgery-wet-noodle for an arm and expiring eligibility, and your QB3 is an early-enrollee who has shown some degree of promise in practice. Why wouldn't you?

I'm excited for Grant Wells because even though he might not be as physically gifted as some of our recent quarterbacks, he doesn't seem like he will require the whole program to eggshell walk itself off a cliff trying to keep him from punching an OC or getting punched by his roommate/tight end.
Could you elaborate on the “getting punched by his roommate/tight end” part any? Can’t say I heard about that

The scoring margin in the games Milton played was 31 points. Marshall didn't have that luxury last season. Which goes back to the question, which games would you have played Wells in?

Using solid logic, you can't find four games that he should've played in.
As was written above VMI, Cincinnati and UCF for sure.

Reactions: cottrell75
Isn’t there a proposal out there where a player could play ANY amount of games this season and not lose eligibility? Also, do you think our recruiting will take a big hit with the ACT being basically meaningless now?
There is such a proposal in place. Seems that Hamrick is supporting it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT